Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User avatar
legolas
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby legolas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:26 am

As this forum is "Meditation (Suttanta Method)" I thought I might shout my appreciation for the site "Access to Insight". Of all resources on the net, this is truly the jewel. A big special thankyou to John T Bullitt - the founder of the site - The merit this guy must have accumulated by making the Buddha's sutta's available to the world must be immense. he also knows his stuff about whats important....................

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/

Which brings me to the question. Is there room for a forum entitled Buddhism (Suttanta)? Restricting it just to meditation is a bit limiting as meditation was not the main priority for most laypeople that the Buddha taught and many of those people achieved Noble distinction.

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 21278
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 am

legolas wrote:As this forum is "Meditation (Suttanta Method)" I thought I might shout my appreciation for the site "Access to Insight". Of all resources on the net, this is truly the jewel. A big special thankyou to John T Bullitt - the founder of the site - The merit this guy must have accumulated by making the Buddha's sutta's available to the world must be immense. he also knows his stuff about whats important....................

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/

Which brings me to the question. Is there room for a forum entitled Buddhism (Suttanta)? Restricting it just to meditation is a bit limiting as meditation was not the main priority for most laypeople that the Buddha taught and many of those people achieved Noble distinction.

Expand on what you have in mind. This might be the place for such a request: viewforum.php?f=11
.


++++++++++++++++
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
legolas
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby legolas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am

tiltbillings wrote:
legolas wrote:As this forum is "Meditation (Suttanta Method)" I thought I might shout my appreciation for the site "Access to Insight". Of all resources on the net, this is truly the jewel. A big special thankyou to John T Bullitt - the founder of the site - The merit this guy must have accumulated by making the Buddha's sutta's available to the world must be immense. he also knows his stuff about whats important....................

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/

Which brings me to the question. Is there room for a forum entitled Buddhism (Suttanta)? Restricting it just to meditation is a bit limiting as meditation was not the main priority for most laypeople that the Buddha taught and many of those people achieved Noble distinction.

Expand on what you have in mind. This might be the place for such a request: http://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=11


A view of Buddhism that relies only on the Sutta's and no commentarial viewpoint. Yes you are right, I should have placed it in that forum.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 15729
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 am

Greetings Legolas,

legolas wrote:A view of Buddhism that relies only on the Sutta's and no commentarial viewpoint. Yes you are right, I should have placed it in that forum.

Are you seeking a sub-forum where commentarial viewpoints are specifically excluded?

I can understand wanting to downgrade commentarial viewpoints to the level of opinion, but I'm inclined to think we already have some forums here where that is the case.

To wilfully exclude the commentarial viewpoints, you would have to intentionally exclude all orthodox Theravada teachings... I don't see how that would be practical. If the commentaries say there are Four Noble Truths, would we have to say there are Five simply to make a point of excluding the commentarial viewpoint?

When you think about the implications of the proposal, you'll see that forums like Theravada For The Modern World, Early Buddhism, the Dhammic Free For All and the Meditation (Suttanta method) probably already cover the kind of scope or discussion parameters you're aiming to find.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"When we transcend one level of truth, the new level becomes what is true for us. The previous one is now false. What one experiences may not be what is experienced by the world in general, but that may well be truer. (Ven. Nanananda)

“I hope, Anuruddha, that you are all living in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.” (MN 31)

Never again...

Sylvester
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby Sylvester » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 am

Or are we going to ask for English translations to triumph over the Pali texts, without regard to the Pali grammars and idiom?

User avatar
legolas
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby legolas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Legolas,

legolas wrote:A view of Buddhism that relies only on the Sutta's and no commentarial viewpoint. Yes you are right, I should have placed it in that forum.

Are you seeking a sub-forum where commentarial viewpoints are specifically excluded?

I can understand wanting to downgrade commentarial viewpoints to the level of opinion, but I'm inclined to think we already have some forums here where that is the case.

To wilfully exclude the commentarial viewpoints, you would have to intentionally exclude all orthodox Theravada teachings... I don't see how that would be practical. If the commentaries say there are Four Noble Truths, would we have to say there are Five simply to make a point of excluding the commentarial viewpoint?

When you think about the implications of the proposal, you'll see that forums like Theravada For The Modern World, Early Buddhism, the Dhammic Free For All and the Meditation (Suttanta method) probably already cover the kind of scope or discussion parameters you're aiming to find.

Metta,
Retro. :)


Fair point

User avatar
legolas
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby legolas » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

Sylvester wrote:Or are we going to ask for English translations to triumph over the Pali texts, without regard to the Pali grammars and idiom?


Are you?

Sylvester
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Buddhism (Suttanta)?

Postby Sylvester » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:42 am

Heaven forbid.

I've now too nervous to use the English translations on ATI, save perhaps for a few "traditional" translators featured there.


Return to “Suggestion box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine