How do I read The Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
EnirehtacNI

How do I read The Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Post by EnirehtacNI »

Hi guys,

Yesterday I bought "The Dhammapada" and "The Tibetan Book of the Dead" but I'm wondering how I actually read "The Tibetan Book of the Dead". I'm a beginner Buddhist I'd say, so some of the words used in the book I don't understand the meaning of. Should it be read front to back? Dipped in and out of? or should it be chanted either outside or into myself?

Also what do you guys think of the book or books? Are they useful books to have?

Thanks for any help,
Cat
Euclid

Re: How do I read The Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Post by Euclid »

The Dhammapada is fantastic. It definitely belongs on your bookshelf. I've never read the Tibetan Book of the Dead, and I don't know how many people on here will be able to help you with your problem sorry - it's more Vajrayana than Theravada. Try asking for advice on Dharma Wheel, Dhamma Wheel's sister site! They're probably more qualified to help you out.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I've read the tibetan book of living and dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. Part of it is based on the book you refered to. It's very interesting. I'd like to know how much of it is true.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

To be quite honest I don't think 'The Tibetan Book of the dead' is of much use to people who aren't Tibetan Buddhist practitioners other than for curiosity value.

Its full of a bewildering array of deities and various kinds of instructions. such as "O child of noble family,after the 30 wrathful herukas, the 28 yogini will emerge in turn from your brain and appear before you, with various heads and bearing various symbols. Do not be afraid of them but recognise whatever appears as a play of the mind, your own projections.." etc (from the Francesca Freemantle and Chogyam Trungpa book published by Shambhala )

The Dhammapada is a very worthwhile book to have though.
Last edited by Aloka on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnirehtacNI

Post by EnirehtacNI »

Excellent thanks very much. I'll try over there and see. :)

Cat
Bonsai Doug

Post by Bonsai Doug »

Although the tradition I follow is Theravada, I read the Book of the Dead just out of curiosity.

As pointed out, it's not a text for those outside Tibetan Buddhism, as it relates to very specific deities, rituals, etc.

That being said, I did find some wonderful quotes throughout the book. One in particular I like:

"Now, having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path."

I generally carry a copy of The Dhammapada with me - wonderful, to-the-point teachings.
Now having obtained a precious human body,
I do not have the luxury of remaining on a distracted path.

~ Tibetan Book of the Dead
Parth

Post by Parth »

I read the tibetan book of dead out of curosity, the matter of crux which I could get was "Mindfulness of phenomenon" and "observing Impermanenance and anatta nature" of existance during various phases of death process and the beyond.

Regards

Parth
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

I read the Tibetan Book of the Dead after my ex-bf died in 2006.
It actually rekindled my interest in Buddhism. However, it has a lot of cultural elements (as one can tell by its title, really :) ) that I found pretty alien. In a way, I found it a very interesting book to re-engage with Buddhism but it also led to an early conclusion that Tibetan Buddhism isn't "my way".

Which then sort of got me onto the search for alternatives, by which I ended up, quite satisfactorily imo, with Theravada :tongue:

So, it's not a bad book for beginners if you want to get some general feel of what you can relate to and what not. You can always take it from there :reading:
:anjali: