Ancient texts relevant to modern life?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Jhana4

Ancient texts relevant to modern life?

Post by Jhana4 »

*MOD NOTE*

This thread has been split from the To Eat Meat or Not to Eat Meat by S. Dhammika thread...

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:

I wonder about the value of books such as these.

People adjust their religious views to fit their deep habits. I think this is particularly true in the west where Buddhism is new and people pick and choose what they like out of it. I don't think anyone who is dead set against a vegan diet would change their mind if a Buddhist text prescribed it. Look at all of the yoga fans and meditators who drink.

There are so many vital issues surrounding dietary choice in the year 2011 that I think it is a bit narrow minded to make a choice to not go vegan based solely on some old religious text made for a world that no longer exists.

For those who are interested, you can find out what those issues are by reading this online booklet or ordering a free hard copy ( no gory pictures, just arguments ):

TryVeg.com
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
cooran

Re: To Eat Meat or Not to Eat Meat by S. Dhammika

Post by cooran »

Jhana4 said: I think it is a bit narrow minded to make a choice to not go vegan based solely on some old religious text made for a world that no longer exists.
Would you care to expand on ''some old religious text made for a world that no longer exists'' ? I'm not sure I understand just which texts you are referring to.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

cooran wrote:
Jhana4 said: I think it is a bit narrow minded to make a choice to not go vegan based solely on some old religious text made for a world that no longer exists.
Would you care to expand on ''some old religious text made for a world that no longer exists'' ? I'm not sure I understand just which texts you are referring to.
with metta
Chris
Chris, I am referring to all of the religious texts of all of the major religions, Buddhism included, as those texts tend to be thousands of years old. The environments of the authors of those texts no longer exists. Putting insights into human nature that *some* of those texts have aside, those texts are dealing with issues that no longer exist and don't deal with issues that modern people face.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Jhana4 wrote:
Chris, I am referring to all of the religious texts of all of the major religions, Buddhism included, as those texts tend to be thousands of years old. The environments of the authors of those texts no longer exists. Putting insights into human nature that *some* of those texts have aside, those texts are dealing with issues that no longer exist and don't deal with issues that modern people face.
Yeah if those books didnt have something to say people wouldnt still be reading them. You are right as well about the environments those books were written in being different from ours. Its even more important today to restrict meat in ones diet given the scarcity of resources, industrial contamination of the top of the food chain, and the cruelties and production methods of factory farms.
EDIT: Note to the casual reader; If this post doesnt make any sense in the context of this thread, its because it wasnt originally in this thread but was moved here by forces beyond my control.
Last edited by m0rl0ck on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
alan

Post by alan »

Jhana4:
Don't get what you are trying to say. Major religious texts "tend" to be thousands of years old? No, they ARE thousands of years old. But so what? You said "Putting insights...into human nature aside"...these texts are dealing issues that no longer exist". Don't get that.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

alan wrote:Jhana4:
these texts are dealing issues that no longer exist". Don't get that.
There is that point and the point that those texts are also not dealing with issues that do exist in a modern world. The post above yours gives some examples.

Because the world was different 2500 - 6000 years ago religious texts written in those times contain some content that is useless to the world we live in thousands of years of later. Religious texts are a mixture of myth, philosophy and prescriptions. All of which are influenced by the times they were written in. Some of the content is still useful because it deals with human beings, other content is obsolete and archaic.

For example, one of the 8 ( or is it 12? ) precepts of Theravada monks is that they don't wear makeup and jewelry. How many men in modern Asia do that? Do you think if Buddhism formed today in 2011 that precept would be included versus something more fitting to our world like "the bhikku shall refrain from more than 4 hours a day web surfing"?

The texts of those times were written for those times.

So, getting back to my original point, it is not very smart to make a decision about a dietary habit that is a function of our modern era based on what is omitted from a religious text written over 2500 years ago for an environment that didn't have our issues.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Jhana4 wrote:
alan wrote:Jhana4:
these texts are dealing issues that no longer exist". Don't get that.
There is that point and the point that those texts are also not dealing with issues that do exist in a modern world...
The Dhamma is not found 'within' the texts. It is not restricted to mere words in the texts. It is not 'the' way, it merely 'points' the way.It is timeless.

As is said, "The Dhamma is visible here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves."
Sanditthika Sutta: Visible Here-&-Now

Then Moliyasivaka the wanderer went to the Blessed One and exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One, "'The Dhamma is visible here-&-now, the Dhamma is visible here-&-now,' it is said. To what extent is the Dhamma visible here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves?"

"Very well, then, Sivaka, I will ask you a question in return. Answer as you see fit. What do you think: When greed is present within you, do you discern that 'Greed is present within me'? And when greed is not present within you, do you discern that 'Greed is not present within me'?"

"Yes, lord."

"The fact that when greed is present within you, you discern that greed is present within you; and when greed is not present within you, you discern that greed is not present within you: that is one way in which the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.

"What do you think: When aversion is present within you... When delusion is present within you... When a greedy quality[1] is present within you... When an aversive quality is present within you...

"What do you think: When a delusive quality is present within you, do you discern that 'A delusive quality is present within me'? And when a delusive quality is not present within you, do you discern that 'A delusive quality is not present within me'?"

"Yes, lord."

"The fact that when a delusive quality is present within you, you discern that a delusive quality is present within you; and when a delusive quality is not present within you, you discern that a delusive quality is not present within you: that is one way in which the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves."

"Magnificent, lord! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way the has Blessed One — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to the Blessed One for refuge, to the Dhamma, and to the Community of monks. May the Blessed One remember me as a lay follower who has gone to him for refuge, from this day forward, for life."
:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
A_Martin

Re: Ancient texts relevant to modern life?

Post by A_Martin »

Hello bodom
well said. Dhamma is timeless, the kilesas of greed hate and delusion are timeless. They do not change. Just in our time they find new playgrounds!
Anyway the question of eating meat or being a vegetarian is as old as the Buddhist texts. Once Devadatta announced to the Lord Buddha, that all monks should only eat vegetarian food. In short the Lord Buddha rejected his proposition. (Maybe someone knows this passage)
Metta