Healthy recipes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
retrofuturist

Re: Healthy recipes

Post by retrofuturist »

The whip was scary, but the knife was worse...
12022011300_resize.JPG
12022011300_resize.JPG (63.14 KiB) Viewed 32126 times
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Cool picture! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun! When will I get a few of your Muesli slices? With "selfraising flour"?? :tongue: :twothumbsup: :heart:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote:Hi Anna,
Annapurna wrote:Not to dismiss Retros recipe!
Its actually not Retro's recipe. Its a recipe by one of our leading chefs. He got it out of my scrap-book while he has been staying with me. Retro helped me make 160+ slices over the weekend. Our students and staff love the muesli slice. Retro also helped me to make Hyderabadi tomato chutney and Ayival (mild coconut and yoghurt vegetable curry) for 84 people. I had the whip out and I was working him like a trojan!
kind regards

Ben
I bet you're doing this on purpose, to make me drool!!! :lol:

Naughty Ben!
Bunjers

Smoothiness

Post by Bunjers »

Four nice green smoothie recipes pdf. on my Scribd account :thumbsup:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/50250322/SMOOTHINESS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gāravo ca nivāto ca, Santutthi ca kataññutā, Kālena dhammasavanam, Etam mangalamuttamam :anjali:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Annapurna wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Anna,
Annapurna wrote:Not to dismiss Retros recipe!
Its actually not Retro's recipe. Its a recipe by one of our leading chefs. He got it out of my scrap-book while he has been staying with me. Retro helped me make 160+ slices over the weekend. Our students and staff love the muesli slice. Retro also helped me to make Hyderabadi tomato chutney and Ayival (mild coconut and yoghurt vegetable curry) for 84 people. I had the whip out and I was working him like a trojan!
kind regards

Ben
I bet you're doing this on purpose, to make me drool!!! :lol:

Naughty Ben!
I love it when Anna drools!
Get your saliva glands ready Anna, I'm about to post another one...
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Morrocan vegetable tagine

375g courgettes cut into 3mm rounds
225g carrots, cut into 3 mm rounds
1.5 tsp garlic finely chopped
1.5 tsp roasted ground cumin
1.5 tsp paprika
2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
1.5 tsp salt
Fresh black pepper to taste
285g potatoes, peeled and cut into 3mm rounds
285g green cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, peeled and cut into 3mm rounds
2 large tomatoes, cut into 5mm rounds
1 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into 5mm rounds.
4 tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 180degC

Arrange the courgettes into a single layer, slightly overlapping on the bottom of the casserole or tagine. Add a layer of carrots, also slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with 0.25tsp of garlic, cumin paprika each. 1 tsp of fresh coriander and parsley, 0.25 tsp salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange potatoes in a layer, slightl overlapping the slices, on top of the carrots. Sprinkle with 0.25tsp of garlic, cumin paprika each. 1 tsp of fresh coriander and parsley, 0.25 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Spread the cabbage on top of the potatoes and apply the seasonings as before.

Carefully arrange the onions in a single layer overlapping, over the cabbage. Be careful to keep the onion rings together and maintain their shape – as much as possible!. Sprinkle with the seasonings as before.

Arrange the tomatoes in a single overlapping layer over the onion slices. Sprinkle with seasonings as before. Finally, arrange the peppers in a single overlapping layer over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining seasoning. Evenly pour 2 tbs of olive oil and 120ml of water over the vegetables.

Cover and bake in the oven for 45 to 60 min. During the last 20 minutes, baste 3-4 times with the juices that accumulate at the bottom of the casserole or tagine. Serves six.

I cooked this twice for 45 people (mostly 12/13 year olds) and everyone enjoyed it.

PS: Serve with cous cous.

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
caydenL

Post by caydenL »

Very useful thread, thanks for posting this recipes this is really great! :clap:
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Hmm, I really should try some of these out, because most of my meals are a la *ping* these days :embarassed:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
harveysmith27

Post by harveysmith27 »

Number of healthy recipes are there nut
the simple healthy recipes are milk , egg , juice and fruit these are cheap and best.
LeonBasin

Post by LeonBasin »

I would like to bump. I need more simple veggie recipes?? Links, Ebooks?

Thanks,
Leon
Leon's Writings: http://www.leonbasin.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I am extremely fond of Brine-Pickling; that is, using a salt-water solution, instead of vinegar.
It's a means of creating pro-biotics, is extremely healthy, safeguards - and at times, even increases - vitamin content, it's easy, inexpensive oh, and did I mention, delicious...?!

Would you like some recipes?
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote: Would you like some recipes?
Yes.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Tofu stir fry is probably my all-time favorite dish. You can use various veggies to add, no specific ones required.

http://minimalistbaker.com/tofu-that-ta ... -stir-fry/

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Mr Snyder that looks so good - I could just pick those chopsticks up right now and eat the lot - very appetising!

Ok, first recipe.
This may sound odd to many of you, but it's utterly delicious:

First you will need an Iceberg lettuce (as they're known in the UK: Here's a picture to avoid confusion...)

Remove just one layer of the the outer leaves, (Keep these) and cut the lettuce in half, and remove the two halves of the hard core, in one piece. Keep the cores, but trim off the yellowed dry base.

Cut the lettuce into large bite-sized pieces. (I cut each half into half again, lengthwise, then cut it into 6 pieces, across).

Put into a large bowl, layer by layer, separating the leaves, but not too much..... leave it a bit 'chunky'... Sprinkle each layer with salt, (about 2 teaspoonfuls), and keep mixing and tossing until the lettuces are all salted. Place a small plate on top, but with a good weight to push everything down. Leave the lettuces in the bowl, mixing occasionally with your hands, until the water starts to come out of the lettuce.

When they are fairly wilted, (a couple of hours) pack the lettuce into a clean sterilised jar, pressing down firmly as you go. Add any remaining brine still in the bowl.

You will find the quantity will look very reduced! The juice/brine from the lettuce should rise to about a half inch (1 - 2 cm) above the lettuce.

The lettuce should be submerged. If it is not, add some fresh brine (Ratio: 200ml still mineral water, mixed with 2 teaspoons of salt).

Take a round, unbroken stone and wash it really well. Scrub with soap and bleach, and rinse thoroughly.

Now: Rinse the outer leaves you removed, and fold them up to fit through the neck of the jar. Push them down onto the pressed lettuce leaves. The brine may well rise beyond the folded fresh leaves; that's fine. You want that...

Now, in turn, lay the lettuce hearts down onto the lettuce in the jar. Push the stone on top of the lettuce hearts, until they are also submerged in the brine. Put the lid on. Hopefully, the stone will be proud of the neck/mouth of the jar. This is good, because you need to apply downward pressure.

This squashes everything down.

The lettuce will be ready to eat the same day. Remove the quantity you need, and drain in a sieve, with a weight on top, to remove excess brine. eat as a side dish or as part of a salad.

I'm telling you, it's lush. Crunchy, savoury and definitely different. In Asia and Korea, they prepare a lot of side vegetable dishes this way.

Very late EDIT NOTE:
If the lettuce really is too salty for you, you can rinse it briefly under cold running water, and squeeze the excess fluid out, but carefully, so as not to crush the leaves and break them up... really, it's to remove the water, not crush them into submission.
However, eating this as an accompaniment to other foods which are not as savoury, balances the flavours out....
Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

No one enjoys an aromatic, healthy dal cooked with fresh cilantro and extra virgin olive oil?

Recipe: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14107/lentil+dhal

Substitute olive oil for butter if you wish. Tastes just as good with all the spices.
Last edited by waterchan on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)