Seeking a place to ordain in Thailand--suggestions please!

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
akroytor

Seeking a place to ordain in Thailand--suggestions please!

Post by akroytor »

Hello all,

I've come to Thailand in order to ordain; I had intended for some years to do this, but the opportunity had only recently presented itself. I've been to a few monasteries here in Thailand, but I am not particularly satisfied with them. The things most important for me are: a decent standard of Vinaya, but without obsessiveness; a modest number of monks; and a certain degree of independence. I'd like to avoid the big, popular wats--if the meditation hall's size necessitates a bank of loudspeakers, then the place just isn't for me. I am, in short, looking for a place that's a bit off the beaten track. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
Goofaholix

Re: Seeking a place to ordain in Thailand--suggestions please!

Post by Goofaholix »

akroytor wrote: I've come to Thailand in order to ordain; I had intended for some years to do this, but the opportunity had only recently presented itself. I've been to a few monasteries here in Thailand, but I am not particularly satisfied with them. The things most important for me are: a decent standard of Vinaya, but without obsessiveness; a modest number of monks; and a certain degree of independence. I'd like to avoid the big, popular wats--if the meditation hall's size necessitates a bank of loudspeakers, then the place just isn't for me. I am, in short, looking for a place that's a bit off the beaten track. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.
How long do you expect to be in robes? If more than a few years then what does it matter if for the first year or so you are in one of the big popular wats? once you've settled in you'll be networked and you will have learned of connected wats or teachers that you would like to spend time in, then you can move to your optimum wat, or try them all.

If you are only planning to ordain a short while then I can understand your desire for everything to be optimum, if you a reasonably fluent in thai I can recommend a place.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
akroytor

Re: Seeking a place to ordain in Thailand--suggestions please!

Post by akroytor »

I hope to be in robes for quite some time--my answer is deliberately vague because I really don't know; experience has shown me that circumstances can change.

As for avoiding the popular Wats: I have nothing against larger temples, I just happen to have a distaste for crowds and prefer quieter, smaller places where independence is encouraged--it's the same as having a preference for a particular climate or food, or what have you; I don't see a reason to make myself needlessly uncomfortable.

Regarding the Thai language--I am finding it amazingly easy to learn. I am a former musician; the tones present little difficulty. Currently, my ability is elementary; I can haggle and ask where things and places are.