Challenges to Buddhism and as a Buddhist

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
green

Re: Challenges to Buddhism and as a Buddhist

Post by green »

Manapa wrote:
green wrote:Well, you have an eastern religions section which includes Buddhist books...and yes they are mostly HHDL or fashionable Buddhism books...as a kid they really turned me off from Buddhism, I read the HHDL books and thought if Buddha was so smart, how come the 4 noble truths is so simplistic.

I didn't even know Buddhism had something called the Tipitika. I came across the Tipitika by accident in the library.

The bookstore is the reason why many people think Buddhism has no central text.

No, Religion section and a small selection of Authors on Buddhism.

No, small selection of buddhist books by "buddhists" who give their version of what they want Buddhism to be, with none containing the Tipitika. :smile:
Cittasanto

Re: Challenges to Buddhism and as a Buddhist

Post by Cittasanto »

Half a shelf if lucky and no Tipitaka
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill