A little help figuring this out please....

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Nicro

A little help figuring this out please....

Post by Nicro »

Ok. So this summer I'm going to Nepal, to India then over to Thailand. I have the intention of ordaining and I figure this trip of traveling alone and visiting different monasteries will give me a taste of what monastic life would be like. So the plan is to first go to California and go to Abhayagiri but now I'm thinking Wat Metta. What is the opinions surrounding these monasteries? I know Abhayagiri seems very strict concerning ordination and I don't know if they would accept another person. But even if I was accepted to either monastery I will still go to Asia first. Now I was thinking of spending alot of time in Thailand to find a Wat to go forth at.....but after browsing through this forum it seems like Sri Lanka could be a better choice?

So:
1. What are the opinions about Abhayagiri and Wat Metta?
2. What are the thoughts concerning Thailand Vs. Sri Lanka in regards to ordaining?

Thank you all very very much!

Nick
alan

Re: A little help figuring this out please....

Post by alan »

You could give a little help by providing your reasons. Why do you want to ordain?
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

alan wrote:You could give a little help by providing your reasons. Why do you want to ordain?

Sure thing, I have a few reasons. Obviously wanting to drop defilements and attain nibbana, but its the other reasons people wanna see aint it? Well I have always naturally been drawn to my spiritual side, enjoy meditation and contemplation etc.. But a big part of it is I just don't want a householders life. Just work, have family(maybe), get a house, get old, suffer more. Its just something I do not want to do. I look at folks around me who as they get older their lives just wither away. They go work, come home and watch sitcoms, wishing for more. I'm gonna do that more. I wanna do what will make my life worthwhile and not just another one that ends in death and rebirth. I wanna strive for my on salvation and help the lay people with any knowledge I may be good enough to attain. Of course a major part of the trip is gonna be visiting different monasteries and seeing how it REALLY is, not just how it is to my understanding. Then the final decision will be made.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

Nicro wrote:
alan wrote:You could give a little help by providing your reasons. Why do you want to ordain?

Sure thing, I have a few reasons. Obviously wanting to drop defilements and attain nibbana, but its the other reasons people wanna see aint it? Well I have always naturally been drawn to my spiritual side, enjoy meditation and contemplation etc.. But a big part of it is I just don't want a householders life. Just work, have family(maybe), get a house, get old, suffer more. Its just something I do not want to do. I look at folks around me who as they get older their lives just wither away. They go work, come home and watch sitcoms, wishing for more. I'm gonna do that more. I wanna do what will make my life worthwhile and not just another one that ends in death and rebirth. I wanna strive for my on salvation and help the lay people with any knowledge I may be good enough to attain. Of course a major part of the trip is gonna be visiting different monasteries and seeing how it REALLY is, not just how it is to my understanding. Then the final decision will be made.
Hi Nicro.
If you are interested then you could come to our temple here in Thailand and ordain for a while as a novice.
There is the opportunity to learn the dhamma,vipassana meditation,go on alms rounds everyday, etc.
We are also lucky enough to have good friends at a forest temple not far from here and people who come here to practise, often take the opportunity to spend some time up there.
If you have the time(and money) then you could check out temple life here in Thailand,Sri Lanka and Myanmar as well as your home country.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

Thanks Bhante, I sent you a PM.

Anyone else have any interesting info to share?
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I would say: go for it.

If you have a typical life with a career and maybe a family of your own then ordaining is as hard as breaking out of a prison.
A few years ago I had a strong wish to ordain, but lacked the courage. Now I have a career (no relationship or kids luckily) and I'm essentially stuck in this life (full of stress and deadlines, mind you). Now for me ordaining is "that unobtainable dream".

Bottom line: Certainly take the chance while you still can.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Kaktus

Post by Kaktus »

Ytrog wrote:Now I have a career (no relationship or kids luckily) and I'm essentially stuck in this life (full of stress and deadlines, mind you). Now for me ordaining is "that unobtainable dream".
What exactly is holding you back?

You said, you don´t have a girlfriend/wife or kids. Who else is depending on you? Probably other members of your family? Do you think your employer depends on you?

I´m glad for you that you apparently have a good job. In the best case you earn enough money to spend a portion on dana or save somewhat for extensive retreats.

In my opinion: If you truly wish to ordain you have the perfect preconditions. Just go for it!

Or are you anxious not to be able to live the life you have now when ordination turns out to be the wrong way?

I´m not about bothering you with my question. I´m just curious for the dependence of my family is (probably) the only thing wich is holding back myself ...
English isn´t my native language. So please accept my apologies for my kind of spelling and grammar ;-)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Kaktus wrote:
Ytrog wrote:Now I have a career (no relationship or kids luckily) and I'm essentially stuck in this life (full of stress and deadlines, mind you). Now for me ordaining is "that unobtainable dream".
What exactly is holding you back?

You said, you don´t have a girlfriend/wife or kids. Who else is depending on you? Probably other members of your family? Do you think your employer depends on you?

I´m glad for you that you apparently have a good job. In the best case you earn enough money to spend a portion on dana or save somewhat for extensive retreats.

In my opinion: If you truly wish to ordain you have the perfect preconditions. Just go for it!

Or are you anxious not to be able to live the life you have now when ordination turns out to be the wrong way?

I´m not about bothering you with my question. I´m just curious for the dependence of my family is (probably) the only thing wich is holding back myself ...
Telling my parents that I would give it all up for something they don't understand is something I dread. I admit that I'm holding of any relationships (not that I have the opportunity, being the geek that I am :geek:) and avoid getting to much stuff just for holding open the possibility of ordaining.

i don't mind giving up my job (I love programming, but hate deadlines and the stress that comes with it), but they have invested a lot of money in me for training and if I leave within three years I would have to pay something of that back. I also have a lease car with a leasing time of five years that I would have to pay a fine for if I would give that up before it expires, so it's also a practical problem.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.