Request for recommendations

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Ben

Request for recommendations

Post by Ben »

Hi all

For those of you who are familiar with pali and teaching pali, I would appreciate it if you could list some resources appropriate for a raw beginner. While I am aware of a number of pali language resources, I don't feel qualified to be able to assess them. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Re: Request for recommendations

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,

I thought about this at one time. It became evident to me that if I was going to do it properly I was going to have to learn Pali grammar. Other than some real basics, it was looking as it is was going to be a lot of work, for (comparatively) little reward. Someone somewhere mentioned an approach, which is now my own, and that is to simply learn as many Pali technical terms as possible. The example they used is that of a scientist. Someone who still uses the English language as their mode of communication but has a library of a full range of technical terms that are relevant to their area of expertise. Anyhow, that's the approach I've adopted, in the interests of 'return for investment'.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here is a link to a list of Pali instruction resources I made. I'm no expert yet, but I have started to learn some!

http://dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Learn_Pali" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Retro and TheDhamma!
Many thanks for your recommendations
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
pererin

Post by pererin »

Many thanks indeed for these excellent resources.

I was unable to download the lessons in http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/P ... _Pali.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - do I need to get a special font in order to do so?

Metta
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Pererin,
pererin wrote:I was unable to download the lessons in http://www.bodhimonastery.net/courses/P ... _Pali.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - do I need to get a special font in order to do so?
The contents are all mpeg audio files and pdf's, so you shouldn't need any special font. The problem is that the links simply don't lead to the specified items but to a 404 ("Not Found") error message. This indicates that the client was able to communicate with the server but either the server couldn't find what was requested, or it was configured not to fulfill the request and didn't reveal the reason why.

It may be just a temporary problem, so try again later. If it still doesn't work then you might perhaps e-mail them: [email protected]

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Bodhi Monastery recently revamped their website. Maybe they have started phasing out the old site and that's why the link didn't work. Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about- ... guage.html
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Any Pali experts out there want to make some money? What if Rosetta Stone had Pali? I sure would advance-reserve a copy of that. :tongue:

Rosetta Stone practically has every language . . . except Pali.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello TheDhamma,

I'd be interested to hear more (in another thread if you wouldn't mind) of all the languages you mention. The Rosetta Stone is an Ancient Egyptian artifact which was instrumental in advancing modern understanding of hieroglyphic writing. The stone is a Ptolemaic era stele with carved text made up of three translations of a single passage: two in Egyptian language scripts (hieroglyphic and Demotic) and one in classical Greek. It was created in 196 BC.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Chris wrote:Hello TheDhamma,
The Rosetta Stone is an Ancient Egyptian artifact which was instrumental in advancing modern understanding of hieroglyphic writing. The stone is a Ptolemaic era stele with carved text made up of three translations of a single passage: two in Egyptian language scripts (hieroglyphic and Demotic) and one in classical Greek. It was created in 196 BC.
Hi Chris, I think TheDhamma is referring to is http://www.rosettastone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

pink_trike wrote: Hi Chris, I think TheDhamma is referring to is http://www.rosettastone.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Chris, pink,

:jumping: Yes, that is what I was talking about . . . a popular item for learning languages here in the U.S.; perhaps not worldwide yet.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The Rosetta Stone software includes headphones and a microphone. My kids are using it to learn Spanish (second most popular language in the U.S.) and it is very good; interactive and all with tests of your pronunciation, etc.

That would be so great if a Pali version becomes available.