Kiriya citta and causes for Arhats thoughts/actions

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Kiriya citta and causes for Arhats thoughts/actions

Postby Alex123 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:17 am

I've read that kiriya cittas are neither kamma nor the result of kamma. If that is so, what is the cause of their arising?

And in fact, what causes Arahants to behave or think in this or that way? Past (pre-arhatship) kamma?

Thanks,

With metta,

Alex
I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care."
Alex123

Re: Kiriya citta and causes for Arhats thoughts/actions

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Greetings Alex,

Alex123 wrote:I've read that kiriya cittas are neither kamma nor the result of kamma. If that is so, what is the cause of their arising?

Arahantship, or more specifically, the complete removal of all tendency to think in terms of "I", "me" (i.e. conceit - mana) or "I am" (asmā). Now, if you want to know the cause in a strict Abhidhammic sense, it would be whatever citta(s) correspond to the attainment of arahantship and you could look that up yourself, but that would only answer the "what" and not the "how" or "why".

Alex123 wrote:And in fact, what causes Arahants to behave or think in this or that way? Past (pre-arhatship) kamma?

No, as above. The cause is the cessation of mana.

Sorry for the delayed response. ;)

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Abhidhamma