New Year Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
GrahamR

New Year Greetings

Post by GrahamR »

Hello Everyone,

I'm Graham from Horsham in Sussex UK.

My wife in Thai and we try to follow the forest tradition of Ajahn Chah.

We have a young family how are our main preoccupation, though I hope I can enjoy at least lurking in any discussions.

Happy New Year everybody.

Graham
Dhammakid

Re: New Year Greetings

Post by Dhammakid »

Hello Graham :)

Sussex, huh? I figure you've seen the documentary entitled "The Buddha Comes to Sussex" featuring Ajahn Chah, right? (http://www.watnongpahpong.org/videobcs.php If not, give it a watch, it's quite entertaining.

Hope you enjoy the board and I look forward to many discussions with you!

Namaste,
Dhammakid
Ben

Post by Ben »

Welcome Graham!
I have a young family as well.
Please feel free to contribute to any discussion you please.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Graham,

A little like Ben's message...

I have a four year old son myself and hope that you will be able to participate in our fledgling community.

No need to be shy! :oops: If everyone just lurked there'd be nothing to see. :)

A happy 2009 to you and your family.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
GrahamR

Post by GrahamR »

Hi Dhammakid,

That was a really old documentary from the 70s when the Wat first opened, interesting to see though. It's where we had our marriage blessing. My wife could recognise one or two of the monks, they looked too young to me though!

We usually go to Amaravati Temple in Hemel Hempstead.

Thank you all for the kind greetings.

Graham

http://www.watnongpahpong.org/videobcs.php
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi GrahamR
what is Amaravati Like never been!
I go down to Forest Hermitage in Warwick myself, but have fancied a trip to there!
hope to see you about
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
GrahamR

New Year Greetings

Post by GrahamR »

Hi Manapa

Amaravati is active with a lot of activities for lay people, which is why we tend to go there rather than Chithurst, which is nearer.

If you want to go, let me know and maybe we can meet up - we don't go very often though!

Graham
With metta :bow:
Graham
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Hello Graham,

I spent over 4 years at Chithurst monastery as a new monk. It is a great place. But I can see why you tend to go to Amaravati instead if your wife is Thai. Not many monks at Chithurst speak Thai, although Ajahn Karuniko does a little bit. Also Thai monks rarely stay in Chithurst (it is a bit more tough there, especially now with the cold nights in the kutis in the woods). It remains one of my favourite monasteries anyway.

Gavesako

GrahamR wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm Graham from Horsham in Sussex UK.

My wife in Thai and we try to follow the forest tradition of Ajahn Chah.

We have a young family how are our main preoccupation, though I hope I can enjoy at least lurking in any discussions.

Happy New Year everybody.

Graham
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
GrahamR

New Year Greetings

Post by GrahamR »

Hi Gavesako,

Oh, when were you at Chithurst, we may have seen you there.

We used to go when we lived on the south coast, but since we moved to Sussex we have been going to Amaravati more often.

Ajahn Sucitto speaks quite good Thai as I recall, it was useful, my wife speaks good English, but my in-laws don't, so when they came for our blessing Ajahn Sucitto (I believe) was very welcoming.

I don't have any objections to Chithurst, I especiaally enjoy the setting, it's just Amaravati has more lay activities. There tends to be more of a mix of visitors too, it does get boring for me when my wife natters away for ages to Thai visitors!

Graham
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

GrahamR wrote:Hi Dhammakid,

That was a really old documentary from the 70s when the Wat first opened, interesting to see though. It's where we had our marriage blessing. My wife could recognise one or two of the monks, they looked too young to me though!

We usually go to Amaravati Temple in Hemel Hempstead.

Thank you all for the kind greetings.

Graham

http://www.watnongpahpong.org/videobcs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Graham,
Very cool that you had your marriage blessing there, and glad you liked the video. I found it entertaining and inspiring. I become happy when I hear of new temples and monasteries opening.

:namaste:
Dhammakid