The Problem with Modern Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

The Problem with Modern Buddhism

Post by DNS »

This talk by Bhante Punnaji is being discussed at our sister-site / forum, Dharma Wheel. http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of our Dharma brothers and sisters over there are upset that this is sectarianism, perhaps because he praises the Pali Suttas as being 'original Buddhism.' But Bhante also talks against culture and dogma, even if it is from Burma or Sri Lanka.

I thought Meindzai gave some great responses in support of Bhante Punnaji and the subject of the talk is related to many of the recent topics here about the Commentaries and early Buddhism.
lojong1

Re: The Problem with Modern Buddhism

Post by lojong1 »

If I can fault this I'm screwed.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

David N. Snyder wrote:

This talk by Bhante Punnaji is being discussed at our sister-site / forum, Dharma Wheel. http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=3269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of our Dharma brothers and sisters over there are upset that this is sectarianism, perhaps because he praises the Pali Suttas as being 'original Buddhism.' But Bhante also talks against culture and dogma, even if it is from Burma or Sri Lanka.

I thought Meindzai gave some great responses in support of Bhante Punnaji and the subject of the talk is related to many of the recent topics here about the Commentaries and early Buddhism.

Sadhu !
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Well not surprisingly, I agree here with venerable Punnaji's assessment.

:anjali:

Thanks for sharing, David.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

Thank you for the posting the video.
And I agree that the Pali Suttas is original Buddhism.
The only thing that matters is the direct teaching of the Awakened one (and sincere practice according to it).
All the other interpretation and exotic decorations are irrelevant because it did not come from the mouth of our teacher.
Very few are following the correct path based upon right view.
Metta.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Thanks for sharing. Naturally I am in agreement with Bhante.
adeh

Post by adeh »

I too wholeheartedly agree with what the venerable Bhikkhu had to say...and I would like to hear more....
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

adeh wrote:I too wholeheartedly agree with what the venerable Bhikkhu had to say...and I would like to hear more....
Yes, Bhante Punnaji is truly a great teacher. I feel very fortunate to know him personally as a kalyana-mitta and teacher. Here are some of his other talks / teachings:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... la_Punnaji" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adeh

Post by adeh »

Thank you David....
legolas

Post by legolas »

Whenever I read or listen to Bhante Punnaji's teachings, although he uses widely diverse language and discusses modern approaches, his teachings seem to ring true with the suttas.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Well not surprisingly, I agree here with venerable Punnaji's assessment.

:anjali:

Thanks for sharing, David.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Oh Retro, I just saw your post in Dharma Wheel, and I have to say your avatar there does not become you!

I can fully sympathise with your views there, but I wonder if you've noticed that every time "Early Buddhism" is raised as your resort, the Vajrayanists all turn skeptical a la Gregory Schopen as to the provenance of the Nikayas and Agamas? The wildest conspiracy theory I've seen coming out of that camp (Schopen and some Vajrayanists in Singapore) was to allege that the "Hinayana" had a grand exercise to levellise all their texts to defend against Mahayana incursion; that's Schopen's feeble attempt to explain the correspondences and parallels between the Pali Nikayas and Sanskrit Agamas.

I saw the same sort of annoyance creep into Bhante Hui Feng here, when he complained about Gombrich being only interested in "PTS Buddhism".