Meaning of 'sukhita'

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby JackV » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can clear something up for me.

sabbe sattā sukhi hontu - May all beings be well.

I have just seen this written in a thai chanting book as, 'sabbe sattā sukhita hontu' with the same meaning.

Now as far as I am aware sukhi means well or happy but on further research (which when using the internet actually brought me to some old posts from this site) sukhita also seems to mean the same.

Can anyone explain to me the significance of the word Sukhita in the phrase sabbe sattā sukhi hontu? Is it just a change due to local vernacular or something similar, or does it have a greater significance?

Thanks

Jack
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:26 pm

JackV wrote:Now as far as I am aware sukhi means well or happy but on further research (which when using the internet actually brought me to some old posts from this site) sukhita also seems to mean the same.


:thumbsup: cool.

Happy, glad, well, seem to be the correct meanings.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7916
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby JackV » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
JackV wrote:Now as far as I am aware sukhi means well or happy but on further research (which when using the internet actually brought me to some old posts from this site) sukhita also seems to mean the same.


:thumbsup: cool.

Happy, glad, well, seem to be the correct meanings.


Is there a reason that both words have the same meaning? Can they be used interchangebly or do they depend on context to be used correctly?
I am going to be getting this written by a calligraphy artist for display and so want to ensure that it isn't written incorrectly and that all the necessary diacritic marks are accurate.

Jack
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Yes, I believe it is based on the context. But I'm not a Pali expert (especially on grammar) to answer that definitively. I'm still working on the words and phrases.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7916
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby JackV » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks very much anyway.

Language is such an odd thing, especially for something which is essentially innate and necessary. You would imagine it would be much simpler.

Jack
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm

JackV wrote:Thanks very much anyway.

Language is such an odd thing, especially for something which is essentially innate and necessary. You would imagine it would be much simpler.

Jack

Hi there. Perhaps you could contact Bhante Yuttadhammo at www.yuttadhammo.sirimangalo.org as he is fairly knowledgable in these things.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
User avatar
Phra Chuntawongso
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Wat SriBoenRuang,Fang,Chiang Mai

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby Kare » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Sukhi (with a long final 'i') is an adjective which means 'happy". As an adjective, it describes 'a state'.

But language is a flexible thing. You can change an adjective into a verb, which then means something like 'being in a state'. And in Pali, the verbs can be made causative, which then mean 'causing to be in a state'.

Sukhi (adjective), meaning 'happy', can thus be transformed (by a grammatical ending) into sukheti, a causative verb meaning 'causing to be happy'. This again can be changed into a perfect participle, with the ending '-ita' instead of '-eti'. So 'sukhita' then means 'be caused to be happy', which of course is the same as 'happy'.

But if you go for nuances, one could say that 'sukhita' - 'be caused to be happy' or 'be made happy', implies a more active attitude, a wish not only for others to be happy, but an active encouragement for us to help make others happy. On the other hand, in 'sabbe satta sukhi hontu', there is also the same active element of encouragement in the verb 'hontu' - 'may they be', so the difference is quite small.
Mettāya,
Kåre
User avatar
Kare
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby JackV » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:48 pm

Wowzers.

Perfect. Thank you both.

I feel sort of bad because I am always being helped by people on this site and I dont seem to have any particularly useful knowledge to give back.

Oh well, maybe in the future.

Cheers guys!
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby daverupa » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:10 pm

JackV wrote:I feel sort of bad because I am always being helped by people on this site and I dont seem to have any particularly useful knowledge to give back.


You might consider your contribution to be one of asking questions others haven't thought to ask, and thereby pulling even more out of the forums than would have been there otherwise. For those who don't post very often, if at all, it is a very useful role. On behalf of lurkers, in particular, thanks to you and others for keeping the forum fresh and relevant by asking a wide variety of questions.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
User avatar
daverupa
 
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Meaning of 'sukhita'

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 am

daverupa wrote:
JackV wrote:I feel sort of bad because I am always being helped by people on this site and I dont seem to have any particularly useful knowledge to give back.


You might consider your contribution to be one of asking questions others haven't thought to ask, and thereby pulling even more out of the forums than would have been there otherwise. For those who don't post very often, if at all, it is a very useful role. On behalf of lurkers, in particular, thanks to you and others for keeping the forum fresh and relevant by asking a wide variety of questions.

:heart:

Well said my friend. How many times do we think " I wish I'd thought of that" after someone says or does something.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
User avatar
Phra Chuntawongso
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Wat SriBoenRuang,Fang,Chiang Mai


Return to Pali

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests