Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
retrofuturist

Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings members,

Over recent months, one Dhamma Wheel member has expressed grave dissatisfaction in relation to the way this forum is managed, via a blog specifically designed to target this forum and its volunteer staff.

Lest it be soddened by the rain
http://dhammawheel.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... llo-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On his blog, the author goes so far as to say, "The bottom line is that my experience at Dhamma Wheel has been by far the most negative experience I’ve ever had on the web."

We feel disappointment that a Dhamma Wheel member feels this way despite our efforts to create a forum in which all members feel welcome and are treated fairly and consistently in accordance with the Terms of Service.

Most of the feedback that we receive from members is positive, but if you are experiencing any dissatisfaction with the way Dhamma Wheel is being managed, we would like to extend an open invitation to all members to raise discussion topics in the Suggestion Box and work with us collaboratively to improve this forum, for the betterment of all. We are volunteers with a genuine interest in making this a productive site for all members and for the online Buddhist community in general. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback you could offer that may help improve people's experience with this forum.

Alternatively, you are welcome to post comments (either negative or positive) on the aforementioned blog about your Dhamma Wheel experiences without feeling as if you are jeopardizing your standing here at Dhamma Wheel by doing so. Dhamma Wheel staff decided that it would be inappropriate to ban or suspend the author of the blog simply for criticising Dhamma Wheel, so do feel free to speak your mind about your Dhamma Wheel experiences, whether you choose to do it via the Suggestion Box or at Lest It Be Soddened By The Rain. However, if you would like a guaranteed and prompt response from staff to your issue, we would recommend utilizing the Suggestion Box as we are here far more often than we are there.

Thanks for your time.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by tiltbillings »

In reference to the above linked blog, since I am the (negative) focus of much of it, I would recommend - if you are at all interested - reading all of the entries.

Also, here are 4 threads referenced in the blog entries where I and/or the DW staff are said to have acted badly:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 49&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

I've read through all these threads and see no problem with what tilt said.
Yes, as a reply to a post that used the word, I said I "scorn" certain arguments. I'll stand by that. We're here to discuss and debate. Not everyone can deal with that--fine. If you can't, there are other places to go where you will not be challenged. I personally find a good argument to be clarifying. Helps to refine my ideas--as long as there is someone on the other side I respect.
I respect those who are honest in their intentions. Crying about how bad you were treated in an honest forum does not deserve my respect.
DW has treated me more than fairly. I've made a few mistakes, no doubt about that, but Mod's have given me chances to redeem myself. No complaints here.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings members,

Over recent months, one Dhamma Wheel member has expressed grave dissatisfaction in relation to the way this forum is managed, via a blog specifically designed to target this forum and its volunteer staff.

Lest it be soddened by the rain
http://dhammawheel.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On his blog, the author goes so far as to say, "The bottom line is that my experience at Dhamma Wheel has been by far the most negative experience I’ve ever had on the web."

We feel disappointment that a Dhamma Wheel member feels this way despite our efforts to create a forum in which all members feel welcome and are treated fairly and consistently in accordance with the Terms of Service.

Most of the feedback that we receive from members is positive, but if you are experiencing any dissatisfaction with the way Dhamma Wheel is being managed, we would like to extend an open invitation to all members to raise discussion topics in the Suggestion Box and work with us collaboratively to improve this forum, for the betterment of all. We are volunteers with a genuine interest in making this a productive site for all members and for the online Buddhist community in general. Therefore, we would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback you could offer that may help improve people's experience with this forum.

Alternatively, you are welcome to post comments (either negative or positive) on the aforementioned blog about your Dhamma Wheel experiences without feeling as if you are jeopardizing your standing here at Dhamma Wheel by doing so. Dhamma Wheel staff decided that it would be inappropriate to ban or suspend the author of the blog simply for criticising Dhamma Wheel, so do feel free to speak your mind about your Dhamma Wheel experiences, whether you choose to do it via the Suggestion Box or at Lest It Be Soddened By The Rain. However, if you would like a guaranteed and prompt response from staff to your issue, we would recommend utilizing the Suggestion Box as we are here far more often than we are there.

Thanks for your time.

Metta,
The only real complaint i have with this forum is that occaisionally mahayana buddism gets slammed, unfairly i think, usually by exaggerating its doctrines so that fault can be found with them. And even that is not often and doesnt really bother me anyway, after all its a theravadan forum, no? :)

All told i think you all do a good job, in fact maybe the best job i have seen at a buddhist internet forum. I think you all deserve congratulations that you do as well as you do. If this person is picking on dw, i think they need to broaden their experience a bit :)

EDIT: Otoh, if a mod really did post personal info without permission thats a big no no. You just shouldnt ever do that without permission. Especially wearing the mantle of authority. Even if offended against.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Logging on to forum that declares itself to be:

"A discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada"

is an entirely voluntary activity.
plwk

Post by plwk »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O Atula! Indeed, this is an ancient practice, not one only of today:
they blame those who remain silent,
they blame those who speak much,
they blame those who speak in moderation.
There is none in the world who is not blamed.

There never was, there never will be, nor is there now,
a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings m0rlock,
m0rl0ck wrote:The only real complaint i have with this forum is that occaisionally mahayana buddism gets slammed, unfairly i think, usually by exaggerating its doctrines so that fault can be found with them. And even that is not often and doesnt really bother me anyway, after all its a theravadan forum, no? :)
It's an interesting point though. I don't think people intentionally exaggerate its doctrines, but it's quite possible they don't fully understand their ins-and-outs from a Mahayana perspective. This not being a pan-Buddhist forum, there's often not enough of a qualified Mahayana presence to frame them from a Mahayana POV (and even then, as we're often told, there is no homogenous Mahayana view on most issues). Furthermore, as you point out, such reframing might not be relevant to a Theravada topic anyway.

All that said, we do like our Mahayana and Vajrayana friends... so much so we created a forum for them to manage as they see fit - http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I'm pleased to say that over recent months, traffic and the depth of discussion at Dharma Wheel has really picked up and in my opinion, the staff there are doing a good job at keeping discussion appropriately focused.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Actually I have mixed feelings...On the one hand it is a good thing to be open to criticism etc.
On the other hand it is an invitation to those addicted to meta discussion, circular argument, and in fact to anything that gives them reason to ignore their meditation cushion and/or meatworld Sangha.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings m0rlock,
m0rl0ck wrote:The only real complaint i have with this forum is that occaisionally mahayana buddism gets slammed, unfairly i think, usually by exaggerating its doctrines so that fault can be found with them. And even that is not often and doesnt really bother me anyway, after all its a theravadan forum, no? :)
It's an interesting point though. I don't think people intentionally exaggerate its doctrines, but it's quite possible they don't fully understand their ins-and-outs from a Mahayana perspective. This not being a pan-Buddhist forum, there's often not enough of a qualified Mahayana presence to frame them from a Mahayana POV (and even then, as we're often told, there is no homogenous Mahayana view on most issues). Furthermore, as you point out, such reframing might not be relevant to a Theravada topic anyway.

All that said, we do like our Mahayana and Vajrayana friends... so much so we created a forum for them to manage as they see fit - http://www.dharmawheel.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I'm pleased to say that over recent months, traffic and the depth of discussion at Dharma Wheel has really picked up and in my opinion, the staff there are doing a good job at keeping discussion appropriately focused.

Metta,
More power to Dharma Wheels elbow. :thumbsup:
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I would hazard a guess and say that the bruised ego who created a blog due to perceived persecution on Dhamma Wheel is an outlier.

Not to say that we should close our eyes and ears to criticism, and not to say that Dhamma Wheel is perfect, but I can't think of any simple way you could make my personal DW experience any better than it already is. :anjali:
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

From the blog...
Aggression may have its appropriate and skillful application in certain situations, who knows? But I tend to believe that in general, aggression is incompatible with the goal of cultivating a healthy and helpful Dhamma discussion community on the Internet.

Is it possible to discuss the presence of aggression without straying into the realm of ill will? I think that it is. S.N. Goenka has written:

If you find a fault in somebody, certainly, you should go and tell him or her humbly, with mettâ and compassion, “Well, I feel this action of yours is not according to Dhamma.” Try to convince them, but if they are not convinced, don’t generate negativity, instead generate more compassion. Try again and if again this person doesn’t understand, then inform an elder, let the elder try. If this is not successful, let another elder try. If this is not successful, have compassion for this person. If you have anger and hatred, how can you help anyone else? You have not even helped yourself. Be careful. Remember: vivâdam bhayato disvâ. It is a frightening situation where you create animosity or controversy. This is a family and a member of the family has become weak. The entire family should help to make this person strong. Don’t condemn them or try to push them out. This person requires our compassion, not our hatred. If we continue to have this attitude, then Dhamma remains with us all the time because we have started helping ourselves first. There should be nothing but love and compassion. This should become the guideline for every Dhamma server.
I think the above is quite wise, and yet very challenging to implement. As far as Dhamma Wheel goes you all do a much better job then most other forums I've participated in, to create a healthy atmosphere. I have a quote from Ben in my sig area which speaks to this. I've thought about removing it a number of times (thinking it might embarrass Ben to be quoted) but it's so wise and simple I keep it there, to remind myself when I post online:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
Practicing the brahmaviharas continously and effectively is very difficult. We all get irritated and angry. To do as Goenka advised, and try to understand where another person is coming from- to not condemn them- can be really hard.

Something i've noticed is that often two people will develop a dislike of one another, and then fall into a pattern. One person attacks, then its counterattack, etc, its a cycle that continues... Each person sees him or herself as right, as attacked, the other as wrong, an attacker, when actually both are caught up in the same unhealthy pattern.

For which application of the dhamma, and the brahmaviharas especially, is the best cure. Not easy to apply, but very effective.

Just my thoughts.

~Chris
Last edited by christopher::: on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hmmm. I see nothing wrong in those threads Tilt has responded to. I'm quite surprised that someone has been upset by the moderating team. My experience has always been very positive here. If I have ever read any hostility in a post by a moderator I have quickly realised that there is no hostility in the words, only my interpretation, and tried to re-read the post neutrally. I can't give an example of when this has happened because it is such a rare occurance and, quite frankly, I've forgotten.

I greatly appreciate the work the moderators here do. I suppose it's a testament to how sucessful Dhammawheel has become; someone feels the need to moan about the moderation team on a third-party site.

I've posted a brief response to that blog. It is awaiting moderation. Let's see if it is approved.

Edit: It was approved. I said:
I disagree with this rant. Dhammawheel has proven to be an excellent place for me to learn the Dhamma from like-minded people.
To which Jechbi replied:
Thank you for your comment, Mawkish. I’m glad your experience has been good. If it ever happens that one of your Dhamma Wheel posts is made invisible but you feel it was a worthwhile post, this is a venue where it can be visible.
Seems all is well :)
Last edited by Mawkish1983 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

christopher::: wrote:. . . .
You have been here from the beginning and have been involved in some of the more vigorous exchanges at times, your feedback is appreciated.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:. . . .
You have been here from the beginning and have been involved in some of the more vigorous exchanges at times, your feedback is appreciated.
Thanks Tilt.

:anjali:
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Oh my! I've been reading through more of that blog! It seems the moderating team has been put under a lot of unnecessary strain with these events. It is such a shame a private dispute has spilled out into such a public discussion.

Moderators, keep up the good work :)