Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
tiltbillings

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by tiltbillings »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Oh my! I've been reading through more of that blog! It seems the moderating team has been put under a lot of unnecessary strain with these events. It is such a shame a private dispute has spilled out into such a public discussion.

Moderators, keep up the good work :)
Hearing that from another long time member here, it is appreciated. Thank you.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Yes, thank you Mawkish.

We appreciate your support.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Viva Dhamma Wheel!... :thumbsup: :coffee: .
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

I've been here since the beggining and only have two major cases where I've been displeased with a moderator or another member: the case which was the reason to create two more subforums for meditation. In that case the moderator said he was sorry in the thread he ruined so no problem there. And the other one is when people make fun of Hanzze, namely alan.

Apart from that I'm quite satisfied with this forum in the years I've been here. And let me take this oportunity to thank David Snyder for the forum he has provided us with and to the moderating team for doing an excelent job in general.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

plwk wrote:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O Atula! Indeed, this is an ancient practice, not one only of today:
they blame those who remain silent,
they blame those who speak much,
they blame those who speak in moderation.
There is none in the world who is not blamed.

There never was, there never will be, nor is there now,
a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised.
:goodpost:

And I'll say again what I've said before: the mods here do a great job and I thank them for it. Anyone who reckons DW has given them their worst Web experience has led a very protected Web life indeed.
Some of us do express ourselves occasionally in language that is forthright enough to bruise others' feelings :thinking: and that's not a good thing, but more often, IMO, neutral statements are *read* in a snarky voice and cause offence where none was intended. I don't think there is anything that anyone except the reader can do about that.
:namaste:
Kim
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I've only been here a few weeks. I haven't had any problems yet.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

I suspect most of the users here are extremely grateful for the generous gift that is Dhammawheel: a financial gift because David provides it for us all to use for free; a gift of time because I know running and moderating a forum can be a time-draining endevour; a gift of Dhamma because I continue to learn a tremendous amount from the administrators and moderators as well as the other users.

If I'm ever not happy with a gift, I ask for the receipt and take it back to see if I can have it exchanged (or I simply say 'thank you' and accept that sometimes we are given things we don't necessarily like). I don't start a public internet blog devoted to demonstrating to the world how unhappy I am with the gift. I just... wow. Stunned.

Sorry, back to work I go.
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

I am extremely gratefull with the organisation of this forum. I like the fact that everybody cannot say what he wants where he wants. I've seen how "total free speech" results in a french forum, and I can tell you that it's not pretty to see (and as a consequence, this forum closed). I am sure that moderators must have done some mistakes, but it's unavoidable when you need your personal judgment to controll things. Not everybody feels the same way about the same things. I didn't have any problem, but that's logical considerating that I'm more a reader than a writer. The dissatisfaction of some is the price for the good quality we have here. Keep on the good work !
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings members,

Over recent months, one Dhamma Wheel member has expressed grave dissatisfaction in relation to the way this forum is managed, via a blog specifically designed to target this forum and its volunteer staff.

Lest it be soddened by the rain
http://dhammawheel.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... llo-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've used and ran many types of internet forums. I once had a person put up a hate blog about a mailing list I took over. This was years ago before I started my current practice. The whole event felt magnified in my mind. One thing I learned from the experience is that disputes on internet forums only matter to the people involved. Nobody else cares.

I think that is healthy.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jhana4 wrote: One thing I learned from the experience is that disputes on internet forums only matter to the people involved. Nobody else cares.
A good reality check. Thanks.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Modus.Ponens wrote:I've been here since the beggining and only have two major cases where I've been displeased with a moderator or another member: the case which was the reason to create two more subforums for meditation. In that case the moderator said he was sorry in the thread he ruined so no problem there. And the other one is when people make fun of Hanzze, namely alan.

Apart from that I'm quite satisfied with this forum in the years I've been here. And let me take this oportunity to thank David Snyder for the forum he has provided us with and to the moderating team for doing an excelent job in general.

I think that the mods and members including alan, are EXTRAORDINARILY patient with Hannze, who despite a number of very reasonable requests has made no effort to either improve his English or to glean even a basic knowledge of the Theravada.

I will join you raising a glass of non alcoholic beer to David and the Mods.....thats sounds like a 70's band. :toast:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

tiltbillings wrote:
Jhana4 wrote: One thing I learned from the experience is that disputes on internet forums only matter to the people involved. Nobody else cares.

True that. Just the people who are involved and the occasional person who likes to play Eric Berne's

" Lets HIM and YOU fight ".... ;)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

True that. Just the people who are involved and the occasional person who likes to play Eric Berne's

" Lets HIM and YOU fight ".... ;)
Warm Fuzzies all around.

Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

If agreement with the authority figures in my life was a prerequisite for participation, I would never leave my home. I do not always agree with the opinions expressed by various mods or admins of this forum, but in the places where I did not agree I learned a lot about the diversity of opinion that exists within Theravadan Buddhism. I've learned a lot about critically examining the teachings of any particular teacher, whether that be Ajahn Sumedho, Brahm, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Goenka, or any other. I have also learned a lot about why differences of opinion can form over the same sutta: issues with translation and interpretation, etc.

Anybody who focuses on the meta of the discussion here at DW rather than the content is missing this benefit altogether. I want to join the others in expressing my gratitude for DW, the staff that maintains it, and the people who participate here.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I've been here since the beggining and only have two major cases where I've been displeased with a moderator or another member: the case which was the reason to create two more subforums for meditation. In that case the moderator said he was sorry in the thread he ruined so no problem there. And the other one is when people make fun of Hanzze, namely alan.

I think that the mods and members including alan, are EXTRAORDINARILY patient with Hannze, who despite a number of very reasonable requests has made no effort to either improve his English or to glean even a basic knowledge of the Theravada.

I will join you raising a glass of non alcoholic beer to David and the Mods.....thats sounds like a 70's band. :toast:

Ahhh, Peter, my dear, do you ever post in a forum NOT using your own language?

If not, you have NO idea what a challenge you are facing! :jawdrop:

It is so hard to improve on one's English skills, especially, because you are never aware of making a mistake! Perhaps after a while you think about a sentence and think: That sounds wrong....but when you submit it you think it's good.

Please bear with us, who at times cripple this beautiful language beyond recognition!

We think we write well, while we are--lacking. :smile: