Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
PeterB

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by PeterB »

Sorry Anna...not buying it . If my French, German, Italian, was as poor as Hanzze's English I would not even attempt to communicate on a website in French, German or Italian...on at least 20 occasions he has had feedback from a number of different people saying that they have no idea what he is trying to communicating. Several people have made the point to him that if he spent just part of the time he spends posting in improving his English everyone including him, would benefit.

Then there is the other point, he has made no attempt to grasp even the basic points of Theravada Buddhism and instead refers to a weird hybrid of Mahayana and Animism of his own devising.

I simply read past his posts without stopping at them. I cant be arsed.

If at anytime he appears to be making an effort to understand the Theravada view instead of delivering lectures characterised by banality and gibberish in equal measure, I will start reading them.

PS YOUR English Fraulein Anna is better than many of the English speakers on the forum.
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Frankly, from the short time I have been in this forum, I have not once been dissatisfied with it.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Deleted.
Last edited by Jhana4 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

PeterB wrote:Sorry Anna...not buying it . If my French, German, Italian, was as poor as Hanzze's English I would not even attempt to communicate on a website in French, German or Italian...on at least 20 occasions he has had feedback from a number of different people saying that they have no idea what he is trying to communicating. Several people have made the point to him that if he spent just part of the time he spends posting in improving his English everyone including him, would benefit.

Then there is the other point, he has made no attempt to grasp even the basic points of Theravada Buddhism and instead refers to a weird hybrid of Mahayana and Animism of his own devising.

If at anytime he appears to be making an effort to understand the Theravada view instead of delivering lectures characterised by banality and gibberish in equal measure, I will start reading them.

PS YOUR English Fraulein Anna is better than many of the English speakers on the forum.
Still no reason to say that he's good for comic relief.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Okay, I might be out of line, but this isn't a Hanzze thread, so how about it be kept a little more organized around the OP? :focus:

Personally I think this is one of the best forum's I've ever been too, if not for the format, it is BECAUSE of the wise decisions of the moderators. I have been to quite a few, and never really felt welcome or like a part of it really, so this is really something I value. Don't take this criticism by the EX member too seriously.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Retro, I do find it wonderful that you ask for our opinions.

Dear all,

like Peter, I am concerned about meta discussion and wrong speech.

Whilst Retro has my full respect for facing and addressing the issues, I think, the blog is a defensive reaction after feeling pain, and I feel compassion for that pain.

Things like that are of a delicate nature and benefit greatly from 'in chambers diplomacy', using as much tact as possible.

We have a saying:

He who defends himself, accuses himself.

In other words: If you take criticism so seriously that you feel it necessary to defend yourself, then you put on the shoe,- because it fits.

Something inside of you recognized something, and provoked you.

You have a button, and somebody found it and made it public.

Now, will you react in the same way, and engage in the same thing that bothers you?

What did the Buddha say in the Akkosa suttha?
"Whoever returns insult to one who is insulting, returns taunts to one who is taunting, returns a berating to one who is berating, is said to be eating together, sharing company, with that person. But I am neither eating together nor sharing your company, brahman. It's all yours. It's all yours."
I would therefore recommend to let it go, as HARD as it may be.

At best, approach the blogger with patience and compassion and try to learn from his complaints, ACCEPT, but don't make it an expanding steppe fire.

I would back off, guys. But I am not giving YOU advice, you are free to dismiss my opinion or to consider it, I am fine either way.
4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

6. There are those who do not realize that one day we all must die. But those who do realize this settle their quarrels.
Best wishes to all involved.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:Sorry Anna...not buying it . If my French, German, Italian, was as poor as Hanzze's English I would not even attempt to communicate on a website in French, German or Italian...on at least 20 occasions he has had feedback from a number of different people saying that they have no idea what he is trying to communicating. Several people have made the point to him that if he spent just part of the time he spends posting in improving his English everyone including him, would benefit.

Thank you, Peter.

I'm aware your patience is at times challenged, as is mine, by many factors, but it also has a good side!

We can practice more patience, more compassion, and then we can reward ourselves--- with more chocolate! :popcorn:

:woohoo:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings members,

Over recent months, one Dhamma Wheel member has expressed grave dissatisfaction in relation to the way this forum is managed, via a blog specifically designed to target this forum and its volunteer staff.

Lest it be soddened by the rain
http://dhammawheel.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... llo-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On his blog, the author goes so far as to say, "The bottom line is that my experience at Dhamma Wheel has been by far the most negative experience I’ve ever had on the web."
FWIW, I use the same kind of blogging software that this person does. If his service is the same as mine he gets a list of URLs where links to his blog are posted.. In my experience the kind of feelings he has from this conflict gets fed by attention. I wouldn't have known about his blog, the particular conflict or any conflict on DW if not for this thread.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jhana4 wrote:
FWIW, I use the same kind of blogging software that this person does. If his service is the same as mine he gets a list of URLs where links to his blog are posted.. In my experience the kind of feelings he has from this conflict gets fed by attention. I wouldn't have known about his blog, the particular conflict or any conflict on DW if not for this thread.
We had talked about it some length among ourselves. It was only a matter of time before one or more of DW's regulars would run across this blog. We felt that since it was out there, we might as well acknowledge it and in the process acknowledge that is the DW participants who do have questions and issues with how the DW is run, they certainly can use that blog as a forum for expressing that without fear or reprisal; however, we would rather that any concerns would be dealt directly here.

There is a formal grievance procedure set up that works rather well, as well as using the msg report function and PMs. Basically, we do want the members to feel that they can turn to the management for assistance and help. If a complaint is against a moderator or administrator, that individual recuses himself from any deliberations and is dealt with as is any other forum member. Quite frankly, our concerns here the health of Dhamma Wheel as a forum for discussing Buddhism. We are not unsympathetic to the feelings expressed in the blog and they have been seriously considered, but the responsibility for the blog is with its creator. Our responsibility is with the functioning of this forum, trying keep it an alive and healthy place.

And all of the feedback we have gotten and will get is greatly appreciated.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I'm happy here, and when I wasn't, I always found open ears and a bit of compassion. Which was very nice.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Annapurna wrote:

Thank you, Peter.

I'm aware your patience is at times challenged, as is mine, by many factors, but it also has a good side!

We can practice more patience, more compassion, and then we can reward ourselves--- with more chocolate! :popcorn:

:woohoo:
I can resist anything but temptation Anna..... :D
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

PeterB wrote: I will join you raising a glass of non alcoholic beer to David and the Mods.....thats sounds like a 70's band. :toast:
Peter, surely you're not so old as to confuse the 70s with the 60s. :tongue:

Ray Columbus and the Invaders' cover of She's a Mod. 1964 I believe. A good old Christchurch band...

:anjali:
Mike
adosa

Post by adosa »

Maybe I have this whole practice wrong but how is blasting another human being part of the path? I'm sorry, but I can only imagine how Hanzee would feel after reading this. Am I missing something? PM him if you feel correcting his mistakes would be in his benefit but this.....?

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
Ben

Post by Ben »

OK, I think its time we returned to topic.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

I will add my name to the list of those who are disturbed by posts belittling other human beings, in general, and also in particular the case mentioned of insulting people for having poor English skills. Anyone who thinks a person can so easily improve their English just like that or else should not participate here is ... entitled to that opinion, but refraining from snarky comments and personal insults in general would IMO improve the atmosphere of Dhamma Wheel and be greatly appreciated by me and at least a few others.