Metta Meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Cittasanto

Metta Meditation

Post by Cittasanto »

what method, or formula do you use?
and for those in the know what are the principle Suttas on this topic?
allot of the methods I have seen seam to be mainly governed by the commentaries, but what is the Buddhas formula for metta meditation?

With Metta
Manapa
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Re: Metta Meditation

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:what method, or formula do you use?
I don't do it very often, but when I do I use (or based it on) Malcolm Huxter's guided MP3 meditation, downloadable at http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-meditation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manapa wrote:and for those in the know what are the principle Suttas on this topic?
This one is a good start...

Sn 1.8 - Karaniya Metta Sutta[/b
]http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

Manapa wrote: allot of the methods I have seen seam to be mainly governed by the commentaries, but what is the Buddhas formula for metta meditation?

I'm not oft to take commentarial expositions as definitive (I generally see them as 'a view', not 'the view'), but I think Buddhaghosa's instructions in the Visuddhimagga are possibly the best I've seen on the subject.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Hello Manapa,

In my opinion, metta meditation is fundamental. Unless I feel a great resistance, I try to take the time after every sitting to practice a few moments of metta meditation. If I remember, I try to give metta in those moments when I see anger, hostility, sadness, despair, death.

Here's a translation of the Metta Sutta that I like. I don't have a Web link. This is all from "Daily Buddhist Devotions" by Ven. K Sri Dhammananda.

Metta Sutta

He who is skilled in doing good and
who wishes to attain that state of calm
should act thus.
He should be able, upright, perfectly upright,
obedient, gentle and humble.

Contented, easily looked after,
with few duties, simple in livelihood.
Controled in senses, discreet, not impudent;
Not greedily attached to families.

He should not commit any slight wrong,
so that other wise men might find fault in him.
May all beings be happy and safe,
may their hearts be wholesome.

Whatsoever living beings there are;
feeble or strong, long, stout or medium,
short, small or large, seen or unseen.

Those dwelling far or near,
those who are born and those
who are to be born.
May all beings, without exception,
be happy minded.

Let not one deceive another nor despise any
person whatsoever in any place.
In anger or ill-will,
let him not wish any harm to another.

Just as a mother would protect her
only child at the risk of her own life,
even so let him cultivate a boundless heart
towards all beings.

Let thoughts of boundless love pervade the
whole world; above, below and across
without any obstruction,
without any hatred, without any enmity.

Whether he stands, walks, sits or lies down,
as long as he is awake,
he should develop this mindfulness.
This, they say is the Highest conduct here.

Not falling into error,
virtuous and endowed with insight,
he discards attachment to sensuous desires.
Truly, he does not come again;
to be conceived in the womb.

Buy the firm determination of this truth
May I ever be well.

Sometimes people begin metta meditation with oneself, then expand it to a loved one, then to a stranger, then to an adversary, then to all beings. I send metta to my teacher, to my family members, and to those with whom I have been in conflict that day. I sometimes choose random people for metta meditation.

I have read that the Buddha taught that regular metta meditation has these results:
-Peaceful sleep.
-Peaceful awakening.
-Disturbing dreams do not occur.
-Pleasing to ther people.
-Free from the disturbances of evil spirits.
-Protected by devas.
-Not affected by misfortune from fire, poison and weapons.
-Gain concentration quickly.
-Pleasant in appearance.
-Dies with a mind free from confusion.
-If the stage of sainthood is not reached during this lifetime, one will be born in a Brahma world.

Mettanussati

Having compared oneself with others,
one should practice loving-kindness
toward all beings by realising that
everyone desires happiness.

May I be free from sorrow and
always be happy.
May those who desire my welfare,
those who are indifferent towards me and
those who hate me, also be happy.

May all beings who live in this vicinity and
those who live in other kingdoms in this
world-system be happy.

May all beings living in every world-system
and each element of life within such a system
be happy and achieve the highest bliss.

Likewise, women, men, the noble and the
ignoble ones, gods, men and those in woeful
states and those living in the ten directions --
may all these beings be happy.

Metta
:)
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Sometimes just "tuning into" a mental state based on Metta can help. These audio-visual tools can be quite helpful, for example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_152Pgy ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

gavesako wrote:Sometimes just "tuning into" a mental state based on Metta can help. These audio-visual tools can be quite helpful, for example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_152Pgy ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have seen that or a similare one by another before, I am not a fan of the music though, I don't see the point in it as I don't understand the words!

My favourite rendering of the Karaniya Metta Sutta on mp3 format is by Thanissero as it is a reading more than a chant or song although I do enjoy Amaravati/BSWA (cant remember which it is) MP3 rendering which is group chanting in english

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:
Manapa wrote: allot of the methods I have seen seam to be mainly governed by the commentaries, but what is the Buddhas formula for metta meditation?
I'm not oft to take commentarial expositions as definitive (I generally see them as 'a view', not 'the view'), but I think Buddhaghosa's instructions in the Visuddhimagga are possibly the best I've seen on the subject.

Metta,
Retro. :)
I agree here the Commentaries are views which may or may not be accurate to the original rendering which is something I expressed in another thread with Dhammanando, and in some ways in my signature, regarding my own posts.

I have the mp3 and quite often listen or read the Karaniya Metta Sutta, but am wondering if there are more than the three or four suttas I know of, all of which have been mentioned here to one extent or another!

John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:but am wondering if there are more than the three or four suttas I know of, all of which have been mentioned here to one extent or another!
Yes, there are more than just those. Have you read the metta anthologies of Nyanaponika and Buddharakkhita at ATI?

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

gavesako wrote:Sometimes just "tuning into" a mental state based on Metta can help. These audio-visual tools can be quite helpful, for example:

Thank you for sharing that link, Bhante.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:but am wondering if there are more than the three or four suttas I know of, all of which have been mentioned here to one extent or another!
Yes, there are more than just those. Have you read the metta anthologies of Nyanaponika and Buddharakkhita at ATI?

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Where abouts are they? in the study section maybe, don't really bother with that section mainly focus on the suttas or books by Ajahn Chah!

John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Where abouts are they? in the study section maybe, don't really bother with that section mainly focus on the suttas or books by Ajahn Chah!
Actually I misremembered. It’s Ñāṇamoli’s booklet that’s a Sutta anthology:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el007.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other two are are the authors' personal reflections.

Buddharakkhita, Metta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el365.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nyanaponika, The Four Sublime States:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

(Awesome! More smileys! :thumbsup: :jedi: :jawdrop: :clap: :rules: :rofl: :thanks: )

This is a good thread and I appreciate all of the links and resources. I definitely need to practice more Metta meditation because there are few people in my past experiences I have been harboring negative feelings towards. I'll take a look at the suttas and download the Huxter link Retro mentioned.

Thanks for everyone's help!

:namaste: ,
Dhammakid
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

Jechbi wrote: Mettanussati

Having compared oneself with others,
one should practice loving-kindness
toward all beings by realising that
everyone desires happiness.

May I be free from sorrow and
always be happy.
May those who desire my welfare,
those who are indifferent towards me and
those who hate me, also be happy.

May all beings who live in this vicinity and
those who live in other kingdoms in this
world-system be happy.

May all beings living in every world-system
and each element of life within such a system
be happy and achieve the highest bliss.

Likewise, women, men, the noble and the
ignoble ones, gods, men and those in woeful
states and those living in the ten directions --
may all these beings be happy.
Thanks for this, Jechbi. Can I ask what sutta this is from?
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

This beautiful audio-visual of the Metta sutta chant in Pali with English sub-titles may be of interest:
by Imee Ooii
http://ambrosiagarden.com/alt/Metta1.swf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Dhammanando,

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Where abouts are they? in the study section maybe, don't really bother with that section mainly focus on the suttas or books by Ajahn Chah!
Actually I misremembered. It’s Ñāṇamoli’s booklet that’s a Sutta anthology:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el007.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other two are are the authors' personal reflections.

Buddharakkhita, Metta:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el365.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nyanaponika, The Four Sublime States:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el006.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
I found the "misquote" last night and the new one this morning just didn't have time to post links to see if it was the ones you were thinking off, thank-you.
I had a quick glance over them and it has changed my thoughts on how the Buddha Taught Metta and what is taught nowadays. as mentioned I believed these where solely or predominantly derived from the Commentaries!

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

here is the guided meditation transcripted I have used in the past.
Michael Kewley AKA Dhammachariya Pannadipa wrote:Loving Kindness Meditation
And so now we can begin our Loving Kindness practice, and if you need to change your posture, please do so now.
We begin by taking our awareness to the top of the head, and lightly passing it down through the body, and just being aware of any sensations or impressions or feelings the body may offer to us, but not analysing, not judging, not commenting on, but simply being aware. Just noticing in each moment, and then continuing to pass our awareness down through the body. (Sit silently in meditation for about 1 minute)
And so, having established a sense of self, we can use this to first of all direct our feelings of Loving Kindness towards, and then later outwards from, so as always remembering to empower these phrases and suggestions. We begin by offering love to ourselves.
May I be free from anger and ill will
May I be free from fear and anxiety
May I be free from suffering and pain
May I be free from ignorance and desire
May I be happy and peaceful
May I be harmonious
May I be liberated from greed, hatred and delusion
May I realise the deeper peace within
So now we can just sit for a moment and experience these feelings of loving kindness and compassion, directed towards ourselves. (Sit silently in meditation for about 1 minute.)
And so now we can begin to radiate these feelings outwards from our heart, from our centre, into the world and the universe, touching all beings equally and without exception.
May all beings be free from anger and ill will
May all beings be free from fear and anxiety
May all beings be free from all suffering and all pain
May all beings be free from ignorance and desire
May all beings be happy and peaceful
May all beings be harmonious
May all beings be liberated from greed, hatred and delusion
May all beings realise the deeper peace within
So again we can just sit for a moment and experience these feelings of loving kindness and compassion, radiating outwards from our heart into the world and the universe, touching all beings equally and without exception. (Sit silently in meditation for about 1 minute)
And so, finally, we can recollect particular beings in our lives and offer our loving kindness towards them. Beginning with our parents, and then our spiritual teachers, our immediate family, friends, relatives and acquaintances, and finally beings that we may not like very much or have some difficulty with, but to all these beings equally, we offer our loving kindness. May they all be well and happy and may they all live in peace. (Sit silently in meditation for about 1 minute.)
May all beings be happy and secure, may their hearts be wholesome. Whatever living beings they may be, whether feeble or strong, tall, stout or medium, long, short or small, seen or unseen, those dwelling far or near, those who are born and those who are to be born, may all beings without exception be happy.

John Stuart Mill