Planning for a 10-day course

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
venkatad

Planning for a 10-day course

Post by venkatad »

Hi I am planning for a new 10-day course which will be 3 rd course for me. But I guess it does NOT matter if you are NOT practicing much. Will it be helpful to start practicing before I go to the course which is 2 months away? at least to some extent that gives me strength to cope up such a rigorous schedule...
Please advise me...
Thanks
PeterB

Re: Planning for a 10-day course

Post by PeterB »

I think it will help a lot venkatad...hope it goes well.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

venkatad wrote:Hi I am planning for a new 10-day course which will be 3 rd course for me. But I guess it does NOT matter if you are NOT practicing much. Will it be helpful to start practicing before I go to the course which is 2 months away? at least to some extent that gives me strength to cope up such a rigorous schedule...
Please advise me...
Thanks
It's not like studying for an exam.

You should practise as much and whenever you can, no need to wait until a retreat looms.

It will pay to do some yoga or stretching exersises if you haven't been sitting much beforehand.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Venkatad,
PeterB wrote:I think it will help a lot venkatad...hope it goes well.
I second Peter's advice. Generating the effort to engage in bhavana is sammappadhàna and is a requisite of awakening.
http://www.noblepath.info/recommended_b ... ayadaw.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Work hard, be diligent and may you enjoy the fruits of your efforts!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Venkatad,

May I ask you why you are meditating?

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
venkatad

Post by venkatad »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi Venkatad,

May I ask you why you are meditating?

With metta

Matheesha
I am no different than common people....My main problem is addiction to whatever....tea,internet, and if i say deeply, my mind is always wanders some where....which is nothing but My mind is addicted/attached to those thoughts...craves...I want to get away from those thoughts, cravings, aversions and have a peaceful life....of course I don't think it is wrong to try something...as long as I can....!!Moreover with the kind of thoughts/fear of death/attachment towards the family all makes me worry about things, people, work Etc. I want myself disassociate and enjoy equanimity. EVEN THOUGH i practice now a days..it is not really up to the mark. I feel a course would put me on track.
mORE OVER AFTER i have taken 2 courses....I felt real good and practice improved my clarity of thinking, compassion towards people, things, lessens worries, fears, I would say it is a wonderful experience. But to be sad enough, I was not able to continue keep practicing.
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

If you already have a vipassana practice, then doing as much of that as possible is probably good. Otherwise, I might suggest doing a very basic breath practice and just work on getting your mind settled, since this would be a great foundation to build on once you get to the retreat.

-M