Planning for a 10-day course

Discussion of Satipatthana bhavanā and Vipassana bhavana.

Planning for a 10-day course

Postby venkatad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi I am planning for a new 10-day course which will be 3 rd course for me. But I guess it does NOT matter if you are NOT practicing much. Will it be helpful to start practicing before I go to the course which is 2 months away? at least to some extent that gives me strength to cope up such a rigorous schedule...
Please advise me...
Thanks
venkatad

Re: Planning for a 10-day course

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:13 pm

I think it will help a lot venkatad...hope it goes well.
PeterB

Postby Goofaholix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:40 pm

venkatad wrote:Hi I am planning for a new 10-day course which will be 3 rd course for me. But I guess it does NOT matter if you are NOT practicing much. Will it be helpful to start practicing before I go to the course which is 2 months away? at least to some extent that gives me strength to cope up such a rigorous schedule...
Please advise me...
Thanks

It's not like studying for an exam.

You should practise as much and whenever you can, no need to wait until a retreat looms.

It will pay to do some yoga or stretching exersises if you haven't been sitting much beforehand.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi Venkatad,
PeterB wrote:I think it will help a lot venkatad...hope it goes well.

I second Peter's advice. Generating the effort to engage in bhavana is sammappadhàna and is a requisite of awakening.
http://www.noblepath.info/recommended_b ... ayadaw.pdf
Work hard, be diligent and may you enjoy the fruits of your efforts!

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Venkatad,

May I ask you why you are meditating?

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
rowyourboat

Postby venkatad » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

rowyourboat wrote:Hi Venkatad,

May I ask you why you are meditating?

With metta

Matheesha

I am no different than common people....My main problem is addiction to whatever....tea,internet, and if i say deeply, my mind is always wanders some where....which is nothing but My mind is addicted/attached to those thoughts...craves...I want to get away from those thoughts, cravings, aversions and have a peaceful life....of course I don't think it is wrong to try something...as long as I can....!!Moreover with the kind of thoughts/fear of death/attachment towards the family all makes me worry about things, people, work Etc. I want myself disassociate and enjoy equanimity. EVEN THOUGH i practice now a days..it is not really up to the mark. I feel a course would put me on track.
mORE OVER AFTER i have taken 2 courses....I felt real good and practice improved my clarity of thinking, compassion towards people, things, lessens worries, fears, I would say it is a wonderful experience. But to be sad enough, I was not able to continue keep practicing.
venkatad

Postby meindzai » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 am

If you already have a vipassana practice, then doing as much of that as possible is probably good. Otherwise, I might suggest doing a very basic breath practice and just work on getting your mind settled, since this would be a great foundation to build on once you get to the retreat.

-M
meindzai

Return to Insight Meditation