A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
pt1

A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Post by pt1 »

Hi all, I was real glad to find full CMA by Bhikkhu Bodhi available online for free on google books here .
Best wishes
Rui Sousa

Re: A comprehensive manual of abhidhamma by Bhikkhu Bodhi online

Post by Rui Sousa »

Thank you so much.
With Metta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you pt1 for pointing out this valuable work.
I have a hardcopy of ACM which has been an invaluable reference. I recommend the work thoroughly for anyone who wishes to know a little of the Abhidhamma.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Kare

Post by Kare »

Ben wrote:Thank you pt1 for pointing out this valuable work.
I have a hardcopy of ACM which has been an invaluable reference. I recommend the work thoroughly for anyone who wishes to know a little of the Abhidhamma.
Metta

Ben
Agreed. If I should have to pick ONE book to bring to a desert island, this would be the one.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Dhammakid

Post by Dhammakid »

This is great. I have been searching for an easy-to-read introduction to Abhidhamma principles, and this looks to work just fine - and for free!

:namaste:
Dhammakid
phil

Post by phil »

Hi all

I've heard that novice bhikkhus in Myanmar learn this compendium by heart to begin their studies. Has anyone ever come across a recording of bhikkhus reciting it? I think listening to that would be a great way to internalize it and it's concise enough to make it possible.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
Kare

Post by Kare »

phil wrote:Hi all

I've heard that novice bhikkhus in Myanmar learn this compendium by heart to begin their studies. Has anyone ever come across a recording of bhikkhus reciting it? I think listening to that would be a great way to internalize it and it's concise enough to make it possible.

Metta,

Phil
Learning it by heart is a very good practice. A few years ago I learnt chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 by heart, and recited it to myself every day. But it takes time - and the more you have learnt, the more time it takes to maintain it - so after a while I quit. I found, however, that by knowing ch. 1 by heart, I gradually got a deeper understanding of the contents than I could have reached just by reading it through. One of these days I hope to be able to take it up again ...
Mettāya,
Kåre
phil

Post by phil »

Kare wrote:
phil wrote:Hi all

Metta,

Phil
Learning it by heart is a very good practice. A few years ago I learnt chapter 1 and part of chapter 2 by heart, and recited it to myself every day. But it takes time - and the more you have learnt, the more time it takes to maintain it - so after a while I quit. I found, however, that by knowing ch. 1 by heart, I gradually got a deeper understanding of the contents than I could have reached just by reading it through. One of these days I hope to be able to take it up again ...
Hi Kare

Yes, I think I'll stick to certain sections only, selected by lobha just for me! :smile:

I'm currently memorizing some Dhammapada passages. I find the impact of this very interesting. I find when we have internalized impressive Dhamma passages, they become the sound track of our lives, they are always running. It gives me a sense of having had my life become completely devoted to the Dhamma. Also, it gives the mind something wholesome to feed on, more wholesome than the usual sense objects that it is addicted to. In a way I find it plays a role vaguely akin to the solid post in that SN 35 sutta, where the six animals lie down by the post that represents mindfulness in the body. Of course it's nowhere as solid as that, but it's somewhat akin I think.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Are there any differences between the Pariyatti Publishing Edition and the International Edition one can order directly from the BPS, except the different cover designs?
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Putthujana
I would be surprised if there were any substantial differences.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Individual

Post by Individual »

pt1 wrote:Hi all, I was real glad to find full CMA by Bhikkhu Bodhi available online for free on google books here .
Best wishes
Thanks!!
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Thanks pt1! I hope it's okay to put this link here, I'd like to add another. Ben gave me this link a long time ago and I love it.

Abhidhamma in Daily Life

:anjali:
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

Ben wrote:Hi Putthujana
I would be surprised if there were any substantial differences.
Kind regards

Ben
Thank you very much Ben.

:anjali:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Thanks pt1! I hope it's okay to put this link here, I'd like to add another. Ben gave me this link a long time ago and I love it.

Abhidhamma in Daily Life
I have found it useful to read Nina's book, Abhidhamma In Daily Life, in parallel with A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma.
There is a newer version, in format suitable for printing, here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3918055/Abhid ... Daily-Life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear friends

The discussion on the merits of printing e-books as opposed to buying hardcopy books has been split from this thread and relocated in the lounge.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Out of respect for the original poster and those who are seeking to find or discuss the online edition of CMA, I ask that our posts stay on topic.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725