Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
tiltbillings

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by tiltbillings »

It will pass.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Something I need to say:

It's super that DW encourages such an open discussion! :heart:
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

tiltbillings wrote:But you take no real responsibility for the negative spinning of Dhamma Wheel that is evident in that very blog entry and the sharply negative comments and negative spinning that characterizes so much of what you have said about Dhamma Wheel, undercutting all the nice things you said, which, then, the nice stuff simply reads as a way of trying to mitigate your negativity. Rather than having these negative entries sit there festering, maybe it is time for all those negative entries to simply go away without bargaining, without preconditions; maybe it is time for you move on from all that and start anew. Please.
Thanks, Tilt. I do take responsibility for this. It's difficult to write any kind of commentary without bringing one's own "spin" into it. Perhaps you have had this same experience at times in your own postings. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Also, that's often what blogs are about: personal perspectives.

Tilt, it's not the negative entries that are sitting there festering. The only thing that can fester is something within ourselves. As you have invited me to drop it, I also invite you to do the same, if that will be helpful for you.

Please allow me to take up your kind offer to contact you by PM, and let me see we can work this out. I'm open to the idea of taking certain things down if they are not helpful.
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

appicchato wrote:I guess it comes with the territory...Dhamma Wheel. since it's inception, rolled along really well, 2010 was a good year...now, however, the bickering has come out of the woodwork (not only from one side)...if I were asked, I'd say give it a rest...nothing good, seen from this angle, is to be gained going forward from this point...just one person's observation, and feeling, I imagine, that's all...six months down the pike, will it really matter?...hopefully not...

Be well.. :popcorn:
:goodpost:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote: . . . .
And so you make my point about your responses being non-responsive.

On your blog, in response to mindyourmind's lengthy statement (which is worth reading for those following this thread)

http://dhammawheel.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... concealed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you state: This post, in which you are commenting, was supposed to be dominated by praise for Dhamma Wheel, for their openness in publicly acknowledging this blog. Obviously, people are not seeing the praise. You really don't seem to get it. The praise is rendered meaningless by the ongoing negativity of what you are saying. Also, you really did not respond to mindyourmind; you, again, offered another justification for what you are doing. There is no dialogue in that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

tiltbillings wrote:The praise is rendered meaningless by the ongoing negativity of what you are saying.
Can you be more specific about this ongoing negativity?
tiltbillings wrote:Also, you really did not respond to mindyourmind; you, again, offered another justification for what you are doing. There is no dialogue in that.
I felt that I did respond, and very respectfully.

I'd suggest, Tilt, that if you are serious about having a dialogue, we continue this by PM, as you suggested to me. Most people probably aren't interested in our quibbles. Thank you.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Jechbi wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:The praise is rendered meaningless by the ongoing negativity of what you are saying.
Can you be more specific about this ongoing negativity?
As an exercise, why don't you go back and reread what you have written as if someone else wrote it. I suspect you would come to the same conclusion as mindyourmind.
tiltbillings wrote:Also, you really did not respond to mindyourmind; you, again, offered another justification for what you are doing. There is no dialogue in that.
I felt that I did respond, and very respectfully.
You responded, but you were not responsive. Again, you just tried to justify your actions without really addressing what was said to you.
I'd suggest, Tilt, that if you are serious about having a dialogue, we continue this by PM, as you suggested to me. Most people probably aren't interested in our quibbles. Thank you.
Do you always put so much energy into quibbles?

plwk

Post by plwk »

Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

tiltbillings wrote:As an exercise, why don't you go back and reread what you have written as if someone else wrote it.
I have done that.
tiltbillings wrote:Do you always put so much energy into quibbles?
I've tried to respond to you respectfully. I don't mind exerting energy to make that effort. Best wishes.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

plwk wrote:Image
I don't think that is a fox and this thread is vacillating between seriousness and gawd only knows what.

nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

Dhamma Wheel is the best Dhamma board out there.
Please don't change.
Metta.
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
plwk wrote:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
O Atula! Indeed, this is an ancient practice, not one only of today:
they blame those who remain silent,
they blame those who speak much,
they blame those who speak in moderation.
There is none in the world who is not blamed.

There never was, there never will be, nor is there now,
a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised.
:goodpost:

And I'll say again what I've said before: the mods here do a great job and I thank them for it. Anyone who reckons DW has given them their worst Web experience has led a very protected Web life indeed.Some of us do express ourselves occasionally in language that is forthright enough to bruise others' feelings :thinking: and that's not a good thing, but more often, IMO, neutral statements are *read* in a snarky voice and cause offence where none was intended. I don't think there is anything that anyone except the reader can do about that.
:namaste:
Kim
Good point.
Metta.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I think the moderators do a tremendous job. I also think the vast majority of posters do a tremendous job and offer a great deal of insight. Topics are sometimes hotly contested, and strongly-held opinions are strongly stated, and that's as it should be.

I'm frequently impressed that such discussions stay, for the most part, on such a respectful level.

Thanks to mods and posters alike for fostering such an atmosphere.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Jason

Post by Jason »

You can't please all the people all the time.
Last edited by Jason on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Frankly if I was a mod, particularly if I were Tilt, I would have said " f*** this for game of soldiers " and departed some time ago.
Fortunately I am neither a mod nor Tilt... :lol: And even more fortunately they are better men than me, Gunga Din.