Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
adosa

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Post by adosa »

tiltbillings wrote:
plwk wrote:Image
I don't think that is a fox and this thread is vacillating between seriousness and gawd only knows what.
It's a Tibetan fox (Vulpes ferrilata). Carry on.

adosa
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
cooran

Post by cooran »

A couple of thousand photos here:

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&x ... 74&bih=509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

PeterB wrote:Frankly if I was a mod, particularly if I were Tilt, I would have said " f*** this for game of soldiers " and departed some time ago.
Hmmm, it's a good thing I'M not a moderator, or my response may well have been the even more frown-inducing "just go away".

So many posts, so little Dhamma :(
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:So many posts, so little Dhamma :(
That's alright though... because at least it's contained here, and the Dhamma topics that are taking place across the forum presently (and there's quite a lot if you look around) have been reasonably quarantined from such postings.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

retrofuturist wrote:[T]he Dhamma topics that are taking place across the forum presently (and there's quite a lot if you look around) have been reasonably quarantined from such postings.
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was talking about my own recent activity on Dhammawheel. :)
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

adosa wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
plwk wrote:Image
I don't think that is a fox and this thread is vacillating between seriousness and gawd only knows what.
It's a Tibetan fox (Vulpes ferrilata). Carry on.

adosa
Thanks for the info. It is a rather interstingly unusual looking animal.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

It is very cartoonish... I expect it to start speaking.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes, my wife keeps saying, while reading over my shoulder, it (the photo of the fox), looks like his head's been cut and pasted ovr the top of another animal's body.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This fits under the improving DW's knowledge base of foxes in the world.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

tiltbillings wrote:This fits under the improving DW's knowledge base of foxes in the world.
:jumping:
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I'm an impartial observer to the previous bracket of comments.

I find that when good people are frustrated from their words with each other, it is because they have stated their views but feel obligated to say more.

Sometimes "inaction" is a necessary part of the process for both parties to come back together.

An example: when you are baking a pastry, you must often times freeze the butter and flour. If you work the pastry too long, the ingredients heat up, and cling together before you are ready for them to. You must wait, stop what you are doing and chill the entire thing in the freezer. It might seem like this is inaction, but its just part of the process.

If people find themselves frustrated in their words, then I often times find the right ingredient is silence. There is no strife in silence.

It doesn't mean that either party has "failed" or is "bad." None of us has the complete skills of the Buddha yet :)

If things "heat up" or feelings are hurt, it just means you have already worked through a lot of issues and made a lot of progress. To me that says that there is more good to come from all parties after they cool. I feel that our best intentions come back to us. Use the time to work on yourself, and you have already changed the world. Peace :)

** (Just so you know I"m serious)
Last edited by gadfly on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote: This fits under the improving DW's knowledge base of foxes in the world.
Careful, Tilt, or you'll be reborn as a fox 500 times... Ooops, wrong Forum... :tongue:

:anjali:
Mike
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Here is some advice if anyone else is ever subject to a signature attack. It includes these directions for removing a page or site from Google's search results.
Best wishes.
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

This is relevant to the What's Wrong with Buddha Nature thread http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7716 and the whole Dhammic free-for-all.

I think it would be worthwhile to have clear guidelines for the Dhammic free-for-all forum which would encourage discussion of the teachings of all Buddhist schools in a constructive respectful atmosphere staying on topic rather than sliding into sectarian polemics and nastiness. Substantiated criticism is of course important and valuable but not ax grinding and outright slander - it is offensive to those of us who cherish these teachings and hold the masters who taught them in highest respect. In the end, the threads descend into wrangling of no relevance to anyone's practice.

I suggest either tighten up the guidelines or scrap that forum altogether.

_/|\_
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Dan74 wrote:This is relevant to the What's Wrong with Buddha Nature thread http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7716 and the whole Dhammic free-for-all.

I think it would be worthwhile to have clear guidelines for the Dhammic free-for-all forum which would encourage discussion of the teachings of all Buddhist schools in a constructive respectful atmosphere staying on topic rather than sliding into sectarian polemics and nastiness. Substantiated criticism is of course important and valuable but not ax grinding and outright slander - it is offensive to those of us who cherish these teachings and hold the masters who taught them in highest respect. In the end, the threads descend into wrangling of no relevance to anyone's practice.

I suggest either tighten up the guidelines or scrap that forum altogether.

Hi Dan,

I'm not clear about what you mean concerning the Buddha nature thread. I wonder if I missed something because I don't think that it was "sliding into sectarian polemics and nastiness". As for the Dhammic free-for-all, surely " free -for-all" determines the nature of the forum and people don't have to use it if they don't like a little inter-tradition banter - or indeed if they dislike lively exchange in general.

The key point I find it best to remember for myself, is to relax and not to take everything too seriously.

with metta,

Aloka :)