Section for Dhammaduta

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
pilgrim

Section for Dhammaduta

Post by pilgrim »

I think a section that is missing in this forum is Dhammaduta, or Dhamma Propagation, sometimes poorly translated as missionary work. This could be useful to discuss organisational work, teaching, sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc..
retrofuturist

Re: Section for Dhammaduta

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Pilgrim,

There's certainly merit in that idea.

Whilst there's nothing prohibiting the discussion of Dhammaduta there's a few specific topics which the existing structure doesn't really give weight to. Another that comes to mind is Sila. Elsewhere, Dhamma Events were mentioned as another possible gap.

I'm not sure if that would be one forum, a series of forums, or things that could be absorbed within the existing forums, but the door is open to discussion and ideas. If I had to describe the gap in really broad terms, it would be those things which Asian Buddhism tends to rate comparatively higher than Western Buddhism... yes, that's a massive generalisation, but that's the common underlying thread between some of these ideas.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I think there are enough sections/forums here already, to be quite honest, without having more additions.

Personally I knew of a organisation which was run for several years by Buddhists who did a lot of voluntary charity work, but they didn't do it under a 'Buddhist' banner. The people who started it didn't like the way other religious organisations actively try to convert others along with the work they do.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

It is unfortunate that many modern day Buddhists have wisdom but little compassion or motivation to bring the Dhamma to others. A Hinayana mentality perhaps?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Pilgrim & Aloka,
Aloka wrote:I think there are enough sections/forums here already, to be quite honest, without having more additions.
I tend to think you're correct. There's nothing proposed here that couldn't be discussed in the "Theravada for the Modern World" forum, for example. We tend to create new forums online when there's a certain line of discussion that is hard to conduct unless it is bounded by some appropriate parameters.
pilgrim wrote:It is unfortunate that many modern day Buddhists have wisdom but little compassion or motivation to bring the Dhamma to others. A Hinayana mentality perhaps?
It depends on how you look at it. Being something of a 'futurist', I see the Internet to be a valuable opportunity "to bring the Dhamma to others". Not only sites like Access To Insight which act as warehouses for Dhamma teachings (ancient and modern), but also sites like Dhamma Wheel which allow people to discuss that very Dhamma, ask questions, find answers, find kalyana-mittas where none are to be found in 'meatspace', and experience sympathetic joy when those we come to know online find that the Dhamma has enriched their life. Perhaps the "mentality" we bring to online discussions on the Dhamma can determine whether it is the online equivalent of "organisational work, teaching, sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc." or whether it is "Hinayana mentality". Sure, the Buddha never spoke of the Internet, but he never spoke of sunday schooling, funding dhamma books and the like either. We apply the Dhamma in our circumstances, whatever they may be.

As you suggest, I think it's about the mentality (i.e. the intention, the volition), so don't get too hung up on the external form such volition takes and whether it accords to the traditional forms with which you may be accustomed.

If you want to see some artwork, loosely defined, here's a link to a picture I took yesterday of a blossom tree which blossoms only for a short time each year. During Summer it is covered in leaves (you can see the start of their growth in this picture), and in Winter it is barren... somewhere inbetween the two, after the barreness of Winter, the tree comes to life in a beautiful, yet poignantly impermanent display of flowers, enjoyed by me and the bees who buzz around it. Not clinging to the beauty, and the general improvement in the weather is something I need to learn to enjoy without clinging. If my enjoyment is rooted in craving, it makes the inevitable Winter all that much more difficult.

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50222498@N03/5043149686/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you wish to pursue any of the points above generally, and not in the context of forum structure, it might be worthwhile doing so in a new topic.

Have a nice day, you two.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Have a nice day, you two.
Thanks Retro ..though its actually bedtime here - so good night !

Lovely tree.

Metta,

Aloka :)
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I'm reviving this thread because I remember there was a thread by an OP named Jody who was also asking for advice on starting a meditation group in her Uni. I can't find it now. The intro by Jody seems to have dissappeared and a search of her name could not locate her. I really think a section for Dhammaduta would be really useful as it would facilitate efforts by those who wish to do something for the advancement of the Sasana to quickly locate these resources and threads.
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

pilgrim wrote:I really think a section for Dhammaduta would be really useful as it would facilitate efforts by those who wish to do something for the advancement of the Sasana to quickly locate these resources and threads.
+1...
plwk

Post by plwk »

Already samples are in...
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

OK Dhammaduta-enthusiasts... does anyone have any thoughts on what such a forum might be called?

As a title "Dhammaduta" is a little clumsy because you need to know what it means first, or you wouldn't use the forum.

Metta,
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

The word Dhammaduta is a draw in itself...especially for search purposes...
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Dhamma propagation
Dhamma teaching
For the welfare of the many
Dhamma missionary ( ugh!...pls no)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Here you go, then...

Dhammaduta (Dhamma propagation)
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.

P.S. It's a sub-forum under Theravada For The Modern World, which was originally intended to be inclusive of Dhammaduta.

Metta,
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If anyone has any topics they may have initiated and wish to have moved to the Dhammaduta forum, please post a link to the topic here or advise a moderator.

Metta,