Forum for Modern Dhamma Text Study?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Forum for Modern Dhamma Text Study?

Postby christopher::: » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:56 pm

In line with a suggestion I made a few days ago in the "Ask a Teacher" thread, would people be interested in a specific subforum (perhaps in the Study Group or Modern Theravada forums) for discussing modern Dhamma texts? When I made a similar suggestion earlier I emphasized the idea that we should have facilitators leading the discussions, but maybe that isn't needed. It would be nice though if there was one place set aside for modern texts (both online and in book forms). Otherwise what happens is someone starts a discussion on a book or modern Dhamma teacher and it kind of gets lost, and then later someone else might start a new discussion.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Re: Forum for Modern Dhamma Text Study?

Postby cooran » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Hello Christopher,

Why don't you just start a thread on a particular text? If there is enough continuing interest, it will demonstrate a need. If not, it won't.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Greetings Chris:::,
christopher::: wrote:Otherwise what happens is someone starts a discussion on a book or modern Dhamma teacher and it kind of gets lost, and then later someone else might start a new discussion.

Further to Cooran's excellent suggestion, I would recommend in such instances taking the time to carefully and explicitly define the parameters of the discussion in the opening post. If the first posting is a bit woolly, it's far easier for things to go off-topic. If the first post is framed well, it's easier for moderators (either through reading the topic, or via reports made by members) to determine that something is off-topic. It's far easier to do this than for anyone to expect that members and moderators are able to read their mind. :tongue:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby christopher::: » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:01 am

Hi. Okay, i will do that and start a thread on Ajahn Chah's Online Dhamma Talks. But members are still faced with the situation that book and dhamma talk threads are scattered throughout the forum, some buried many pages back, with OPs varying in how well they are written. Having a section for books and dhamma talks provides a contextual "frame" of sorts, to keep them in one location. It would allow us to look through a variety of threads and get some ideas about what books/texts/talks we wanted to study and read.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Return to Suggestion box