Working at a Glock factory?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Mawkish1983

Re: Working at a Glock factory?

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Phoenix1991 wrote:The only thing I asked for were facts from the Pali Canon and possibly your interpretation of it.
Anguttara Nikaya 5.177. Number 1 on the list of wrong livelihoods is trading weapons. Personally, I would interpret that as meaning that working for a company trading weapons is wrong livelihood. That is my interpretation.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Perhaps we should bring the issue away from the suttas and back to you. While we could discuss the semantics of Pali and try to interpret what the Buddha meant (whch of course is very interesting; thanks David, I didn't know that the Pali wording was that specific / had those implications), how does the prospect make you feel? As Kirk5a said, you obviously feel internal conflict about this job, hence the need to come to the forum and pose your question. So perhaps the best course of action is to say to yourself 'I realise that if I accept this job, I will have internal conflict and won't have peace of mind.' Then it becomes a question of how badly you want/need the job vs. how much you value your peace of mind (for a short period of course,) which is something only you yourself can answer.

In any case, I hope something better comes along your way so you aren't forced to make these difficult decisions! :anjali:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

There were a few times in my life when I chose to say 'No' to a 'bad' offer, and hoped that something better would come my way.

And that does happen...!
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

-- "I'm sure you have less harmful options. Are they really more frightening in the long run?" --
This was about as Theravadin as I could muster without directly reduntant canon quotes.

-- "In order to what?"--
With this I had in mind the "need" that many use as an excuse to do what they know is wrong. When I "said 'No' to a 'bad' offer," I had a choice; but when I said 'Yes' to a 'bad' offer, I "needed" to defend a certain lifestyle.
Looking for something more personal because it is your decision, I get nothing from "make a living".
No biggie. I need to go work some evil myself.
reynaldx

Post by reynaldx »

pilgrim wrote:Working at a weapons factory would be way down my list of preferences. But I would take the job if there is little choice and I need the employment. However, even so, I would avoid working in any dept that has a direct input to the production line, testing, packing, selling etc. Acceptable divisions could be support functions like accounts, cleaning, food, human resources, adminstration and so on.

I think it's hard working on a weapon factory.
Use an expandable batons effectively only if you are prepared to use it and have practiced the best technique.