Noting Categories

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Jack

Noting Categories

Post by Jack »

Somewhere I saw a list of labels that could be used in noting. It might have been from Shinzen Young. For instance, for body sensations it might have listed pressure, tighness, coolness, easing, etc. Any suggestions where I can find a list like this?

Now I mostly use labels that naturally come to mind. But, a list like this would be useful in those hard to categorize sensations.

Jack
effort

Re: Noting Categories

Post by effort »

recently i was reading jeff oliver's book, "see it know it watch it go"; i enjoyed the labels in the book, it is a free dhamma book, maybe you can found it in web.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

The purpose of the labelling is to focus the mind on to the present moment and stop any discursive thinking. It is not an exercise in precise identification. That would lead to being interested in the content of what is being experienced, rather than noting a 'unit' (mind the reification) of experience. In this light, it makes sense to stick with hearing, seeing, thinking etc based on the 6 sense bases, or work with hardness, heat, movement etc to get at the 4 'great elements', especially at the skin.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Jack

Post by Jack »

rowyourboat wrote:The purpose of the labelling is to focus the mind on to the present moment and stop any discursive thinking. It is not an exercise in precise identification. That would lead to being interested in the content of what is being experienced, rather than noting a 'unit' (mind the reification) of experience. In this light, it makes sense to stick with hearing, seeing, thinking etc based on the 6 sense bases, or work with hardness, heat, movement etc to get at the 4 'great elements', especially at the skin.

With metta

Matheesha
==========
That's one view. Another is continue as one progresses to awareness of the 4 Foundations of Mindfulness. All without discursive thinking.

jack
Jack

Post by Jack »

effort wrote:recently i was reading jeff oliver's book, "see it know it watch it go"; i enjoyed the labels in the book, it is a free dhamma book, maybe you can found it in web.
===
I was unable to find it on the Internet. Any suggestions?

Jack
Jack

Post by Jack »

Here are some noting categories taught by Kenneth Folk:

1) Objectify body sensations. If you can name them, you aren't embedded there. Notice sensations and note to yourself: "Pressure, tightness, tension, release, coolness, warmth, softness, hardness, tingling, itching, burning, stinging, pulsing, throbbing, seeing, tasting, smelling, hearing." If I am looking at something it is not "I".

2) Objectify feeling-tone. Are sensations pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral? If you can sit there for five minutes and note pleasant, unpleasant, or neutral every few seconds, you are not embedded at that layer of mind.

3)Objectify mind states. Investigation, curiosity, happiness, anxiety, amusement, sadness, joy, anger, frustration, annoyance, irritation, aversion, desire, disgust, fear, worry, calm, embarrassment, shame, self-pity, compassion, love, contentment, aversion, dullness, sleepiness, bliss, exhilaration, triumph, self-loathing. Name them and be free of them. These mind states are not "you;" we know that because if there is a "you" it is the one who is looking, not what is being looked at.

4)Objectify thoughts. Categorize them: planning thought, anticipating thought, worrying thought, imaging thought, remembering thought, rehearsing thought, scenario spinning thought, fantasy thought, self-recrimination thought. Come up with your own vocabulary and see your thoughts as though they belong to someone else. The content is not relevant except to the extent that it helps you to label and therefore objectify them.

jack
effort

Post by effort »

wow, i dont think you need the lables in that book, you have more than that, but what i liked was something like thinking about time and amount of maditation and lable it;planing...
I mean the relation between the mind state and lables, but not have too many labels...
bodom

Post by bodom »

from In This Very Life by Sayadaw U Pandita:
In making the verbal label, there is no need for complex language. One simple word is best. For the eye, ear, and tongue doors we simply say, “Seeing, seeing... Hearing, hearing... Tasting, tasting.” For sensations in the body we may choose a slightly more descriptive term like warmth, pressure, hardness, or motion. Mental objects appear to present a bewildering diversity, but actually they fall into just a few clear categories such as thinking, imagining, remembering, planning, and visualizing. But remember that in using the labeling technique, your goal is not to gain verbal skills. Labeling technique helps us to perceive clearly the actual qualities of our experience, without getting immersed in the content. It develops mental power and focus. In meditation we seek a deep, clear, precise awareness of the mind and body. This direct awareness shows us the truth about our lives, the actual nature of mental and physical processes.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Pan ... structions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Indeed. Right Intention (Samma sankhappa) must play a part (if not, must be intentionally developed) to complete the Noble eightfold path. Nekkhamma sankhappa- the intention to renuonce, to let go, is an important intention/motivation/aspiration in our meditation practice, not to accrue, hold on to or 'attain'. With letting go, comes simplification and simplicity, with it comes peace and solitude, and the bliss of letting go..

:namaste:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha