the 8th precept?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Cessation

the 8th precept?

Post by Cessation »

I don't mean to disrespect in anyway, I know that Lord Buddha gave us these precepts for the good and well-fare of all beings. I was just wandering if someone could give me a quote on why Lord Buddha gave us this precept on not to use high or comfy beds?
Thanks in advance for you kind replies :anjali:
Goofaholix

Re: the 8th precept?

Post by Goofaholix »

Cessation wrote:I don't mean to disrespect in anyway, I know that Lord Buddha gave us these precepts for the good and well-fare of all beings. I was just wandering if someone could give me a quote on why Lord Buddha gave us this precept on not to use high or comfy beds?
So that while on retreat, or when a monk, one is less inclined to spend their time sleeping too much which leads to laziness and a lack of energy for meditation.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cessation

Post by Cessation »

Goofaholix wrote:
Cessation wrote:I don't mean to disrespect in anyway, I know that Lord Buddha gave us these precepts for the good and well-fare of all beings. I was just wandering if someone could give me a quote on why Lord Buddha gave us this precept on not to use high or comfy beds?
So that while on retreat, or when a monk, one is less inclined to spend their time sleeping too much which leads to laziness and a lack of energy for meditation.
Thank you Goofaholix for your good reply, I totally agree with you. I was wandering, does anyone know where it is quoted in the Pali canon by any chance?
:anjali:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Cessation,

This is one sutta where it is mentioned:

8. "Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:
"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up lying on large or high beds. They are content with low beds or bedding made of grass.'
"All of you have given up lying on large or high beds. You are content with low beds or beds made of grass. For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the eighth factor of the Uposatha."
"Bhikkhus. The Uposatha is comprised of these eight factors which the Ariyan disciple observes, and it is of great and glorious fruit and benefit."
Thus the Blessed One spoke on the Uposatha. The bhikkhus were delighted and rejoiced at his words.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... satha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Traditionally lay people take eight precept on special 'uposata' days only. These are not like commandments- which the 'Lord' has commanded us to do- and we simply (blindly?) follow them. These are special precepts to allow us to notice our defilements- the desire for comfort for example- so that we can work on them.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Cessation

Post by Cessation »

Oh thanks for the replies Chris and matheesha. I appreciate the quote and explanations.
With metta :anjali:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I particularly like the 'other 8 precepts'- called ajiva ashtamaka sila (not sure what the translation is..)

1) avoid killing
2) avoid stealing
3) avoid illicit sexual behaviour
4) avoid lying
5) avoid divisive speech
6) avoid swearing at people
7) avoid mindless chattering
8) avoid wrong livelihood

This is very much in line with Right Action, Right Speech and Right Livelihood in the noble eightfold path, and is much more 'lay-person friendly'.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
pedro1985

Post by pedro1985 »

Now that the question has been brought up, is there anyone who actually sleeps on the floor instead of in a bed?

Personally I don't have a bed and I sleep directly on the floor in a sleeping bag. The floor is very hard, but after a while you get used to it, and it becomes comfortable to you. During the week I wake up at 5:30 AM for work, but in the weekends sometimes I can sleep till 10:00 AM. Even the floor is comfortable sleeping :lol:
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Pedro,

Yes, I think that just goes to show that this precept is not about the actual place of sleep, but rather our attachment to it!

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha