Questions, Questions, Questions...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Bluishpurple

Questions, Questions, Questions...

Post by Bluishpurple »

2 questions I need to ask. Firstly, where I live appears to be around 40 miles away from any Theravada Sangha's or meditation groups/teachers. There are however quite a lot of Tibetan meditation groups within travelling distance for me, would it be okay for me to attend a meditation and dhamma discussion session with some Tibetan buddhists? I feel as if it might be a faux pas to say the least, it seems somewhat dishonest...

Secondly, I'm considering attending a weekend vipassana retreat, what is it I should look for when selecting somewhere to go?

Thank you

Bluishpurple
:namaste:
Goofaholix

Re: Questions, Questions, Questions...

Post by Goofaholix »

You should attend those local groups if only to see what they're like and to see if you fit in and feel comfortable. Just because you consider yourself Theravadin doesn't mean you can't attend other groups or see value in other practices, it's not as if you have to attend a Theravadin library or buy your fish and chips at a Theravadin chip shop from now on either. If anybody asks you can tell them you have Theravadin leanings no problem.

For a weekend retreat look for something run by a group or teaching lineage you know a bit about or somebody has recommended.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

From my limited experience one of the main differences between the groups is the actual person of the teacher and their lineage.

Some Tibetan groups may be very well disposed towards Theravada and may actually engage in anapanasati. Others may look down on you and do very different practices. Others again may be friendly but you find no affinity for what they practice.

Best to check it out.

That said if it is one of the newfangled New Kadampa groups best to stay away.
_/|\_
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello BP,

Check out this website and maybe email or telephone any group that seems worthwhile near you:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Bluishpurple

Post by Bluishpurple »

Thanks for the responses guys, I will attend one of the groups. Is there any reason why I should stay away from the New Kadampa groups in particular?

And thank you for that link cooran but I'd already poached it from another thread :) it's how I know about the Tibetan groups close by

Bluishpurple
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I'm sure you can find a Goenka vipassana center nearby! Noting impermanence with the body sensations can be very helpful.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Bluishpurple

Post by Bluishpurple »

Unfortunately the only Goenka centre within realistic travelling distance only has courses for experienced people listed

Bluishpurple
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Bluishpurple wrote:Thanks for the responses guys, I will attend one of the groups. Is there any reason why I should stay away from the New Kadampa groups in particular?

And thank you for that link cooran but I'd already poached it from another thread :) it's how I know about the Tibetan groups close by

Bluishpurple
New Kadampas are very controversial within the Tibetan circles both due to a particular practice of propitiating a spirit which the Dalai Lama and most eminent lamas believe to be malevolent and also for the cultish way in which their organization is run.
_/|\_
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Dan74 wrote:
Bluishpurple wrote:Thanks for the responses guys, I will attend one of the groups. Is there any reason why I should stay away from the New Kadampa groups in particular?

Bluishpurple
New Kadampas are very controversial within the Tibetan circles both due to a particular practice of propitiating a spirit which the Dalai Lama and most eminent lamas believe to be malevolent and also for the cultish way in which their organization is run.
" Most eminant Lamas" ? Hardly.
The Shugden controversy is largely a Gelug issue, and is mostly about politics.
The Dalai Lama is a Gelug monk.
All human activity has a tendency to become enmired in politics, and Tibetan Buddhism is more political than most.
The reality beyond the Dharamsala press office is that a number of eminent lamas have always refused to acknowledge the Dalai Lama's authority...they include among many others Lama Ole of the Diamond Way Sangha,( probably the largest Tibetan Buddhist group in Europe ) and much of the Nyingmapa. ( which is both the oldest and largest Tibetan school ) Included among this group of dissenters are also some Gelug Lamas , and the new Kadampa is headed by a Gelug Geshe who denies the Dalai Lamas authority...and which subsequently has been demonised.
Anyone who finds themselves near a New Kadampa Centre will get a perfectly good ( if very basic ) grounding in ShamaTha and Vipashnya...( Samatha and Vipassana ).
Any further involvement will be up to them.
Last edited by PeterB on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

And as it seems the Dalai Lama is giving up on Politics, things may develop in different directions now, here, too.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Possibly Fede...it is well known that the Dalai Lama's main tutor was himself a Shugden devotee...
The schism is recent, and stems from a prophecy from the State Oracle.... who many believe was being paid by the Chinese to foment dissonance.

Wheels within wheels....'twas ever thus around the Vajrayana.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Bluishpurple,
Bluishpurple wrote:Unfortunately the only Goenka centre within realistic travelling distance only has courses for experienced people listed

Bluishpurple
Hmm, that sounds a little strange. The only course location in the UK offering courses only to experienced practitioners is the European Long-course Centre: Dhamma Padhana.

Check out the course timetables for a ten day course at VMC Dhamma Dipa or one of the non-centre course locations.

http://www.dhamma.org/en/bycountry/eu/uk.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bluishpurple

Post by Bluishpurple »

Thank you Ben, I think I'm going to have to make the trip down to the Dhamma Dipa centre :)

Bluishpurple
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Strongly recommended Bluishpurple.