Vipassana - Insight Knowledge

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
ansdkant

Re: Vipassana - Insight Knowledge

Post by ansdkant »

rowyourboat wrote:Hi Ansdkant,

Yes, the Truth can be shocking, especially if the dhamma has not been 'well penetrated in terms of views'. The same thing happened to a couple of my friends when they understood Anatta, while doing vipassana on a retreat with Ven Amathagavesi. Other nanas like bhanga nana, bhaya and aadinava are even more unsettling, if there is little preparation. It is indeed seeing the truth in this way that leads to 'unshakeable faith' (aveccapasada) in the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. This is quite a different aspect of the dhamma than what is 'advertised'- as you have experienced it is not all 'mindfulness, bliss and beyond'.

With metta

Matheesha
Hi RYB;

For me, I knew this is not seeing Anatta(true Anatta) but that's Nar-ma-ru-pa pri-say-da nanas only. Later when we saw everything is disappearing as soon as they are coming, then another version of shock and fear coming, feeling that there's nothing can be last, even in a fraction of a second. Big lost again.

with Myitta
Ansdkant
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Anskandt,

Ah, now that sounds like bhanga nana. Somebody gave this graphic similie of having no place to keep your foot on, because everything was fracturing and breaking away into dust.. :thinking:

It is said the is someone see nama-rupa paricceda nana properly, they will understand anatta. I haven't come across the notion that there are degrees to understanding anatta.. and on reflection I wouldn't rule it out, but most of the time you think there is a self or don't.
:anjali:
with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
ansdkant

Post by ansdkant »

Hi RYB;

I used to watch what is happening at moments as I go by Cab or MRT in everyday. At some point of when good Samardi enough, I usually see those are destroying and nothing is left. If I watch them more closer, it's more obvious. Other time than those time, I always feel self/not very sure what state of mind I got.

So my answer is I didn't see it in most of the time, only see when there balanced/good Samardi is arrived.

Myitta
Ansdkant
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Yes, that is correct. There can be no panna without samadhi. If the duration of what you saw was relatively short, it might even be a stage of udaya-vaya nana, difficult to say without having you in a retreat and me following you up daily :tongue:

In any case, it sounds quite good. You should go on a proper vipassana retreat, in the future. Don't put it off!

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha