Eat More Beans

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
m0rl0ck

Eat More Beans

Post by m0rl0ck »

They are seriously good for you.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/bean ... superfoods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brick, a professor in the department of soil and crop sciences at Colorado State University, is investigating the ability of different bean varieties to prevent cancer and diabetes.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Jhana4

Re: Eat More Beans

Post by Jhana4 »

They can also be a seriously unpleasant experience if you don't cook them right. Here is a great article I've been using for a while:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/cooking/beans-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I love beans, so easy to cook.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Post by Fede »

I'm actually a great fan of quinoa too... it's an amazing foodstuff!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

My wife and I have been trying to figure out why, even when we're trying to eat healthy, we are hungry a lot and had to keep falling back on empty carbs (rice, pasta). Finally figured out that the missing ingredient was fiber. The fiber AND protein in beans makes them quite the perfect food.

While we're on it - any recommended black beans recipes? I have to convert my wife who grew up with red beans in Puerto Rico. She thinks black beans look like cockroaches!

-M
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings M
If you can wait a day or two, I might be able to help. I'm about 500m from my cookbooks and its the middle of the night and wild horses couldn't drag me outside. Well, maybe some wild horses...
I'll see what I can find for you.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Thanks Ben. No Rush. Shouldn't you be in bed? :) Good night!

-M
Fede

Post by Fede »

meindzai wrote:My wife and I have been trying to figure out why, even when we're trying to eat healthy, we are hungry a lot and had to keep falling back on empty carbs (rice, pasta). Finally figured out that the missing ingredient was fiber. The fiber AND protein in beans makes them quite the perfect food.

While we're on it - any recommended black beans recipes? I have to convert my wife who grew up with red beans in Puerto Rico. She thinks black beans look like cockroaches!

-M
you can use black beans in a dhal, and maybe mix them with yellow split-peas....or as a cold salad with chickpeas, preserved lemons, extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar, a little chopped garlic, and chopped flat-leaf parsley.
The colourful contrast is delightful, too!

I would love to give you some recipes, but you go with whom you're most comfortable with!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Within

Post by Within »

Yeah beans are very healthy for you. It is a nice alternative to meet as it still provides you with high levels of protein. I like that you highlighted the research on how beans may be linked to cancer prevention. I believe I have also seen studies where replacing meat with beans is good for cardiovascular health as it has less fat. My Father was not the healthiest of eaters and he's paying for it with all hi medical billing and hospital stays. Eating healthy pays dividends in many areas of life.
Last edited by Within on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Black beans and lentils w/ nettles (in season) or spinach, topped with a dollop of sour cream. Any sort of canned bean cold with a good salad dressing, or even just olive oil. Boiling beans with a knob of ginger has solved my once voluminous issue with flammable gases.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Eat porridge oats instead — all the fibre you need, without the unpleasant side-effects of beans. They also require much less cooking time saving fuel. Finely ground oatmeal will cook in five minutes or less.

One tip for reducing the bad side-effects of pulses and beans is to soak them overnight before cooking. Red lentils (dal) are fine if soaked overnight and cooked to a smooth paste. Almost all other beans — red kidney, soya, baked beans, mung beans, yellow and green split lentils, tend to cause gas unless a pressure cooker is used.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Beans beans, good for the heart...

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Metta-4 wrote:Beans beans, good for the heart...
the more you eat the more you . . .
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Beans without the unpleasant side effects:
http://beforewisdom.com/blog/cooking/beans-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

That's a good resource directly above. I had to start cooking beans in ginger and that's the miracle-worker for me. Once when I was in high school, after eating a bowl of dal, my mother came into the room and said, "rowboat, anybody who can make a smell like that must be dying inside."
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5