Please read this when you use a microwave or bottled water

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Annapurna

Please read this when you use a microwave or bottled water

Post by Annapurna »

I received this in an email:

Another reminder!
No matter how many times you get this
E-mail, Please send it on!!!!
Bottled water heated in your car is very dangerous!

On the Ellen show, Sheryl Crow said that this is what caused her breast cancer.
It has been identified as the most common cause of the high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue.
Sheryl Crow's oncologist told her: women should not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.
The heat reacts with the chemicals in the plastic of the bottle which releases dioxin into the water.

Dioxin is a toxin increasingly found in breast cancer tissue. So please be careful and do not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.

Pass this on to all the women in your life. This information is the kind we need to know that just might save us!
Use a stainless steel canteen or a glass bottle instead of plastic!

LET EVERYONE WHO HAS A WIFE / GIRLFRIEND / DAUGHTER KNOW PLEASE!

This information is also being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center .

No plastic containers in microwaves.
No plastic water bottles in freezers.
No plastic wrap in microwaves.

Dioxin chemical causes cancer, especially breast cancer.
Dioxins are highly poisonous to cells in our bodies.
Don't freeze plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
Recently the Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital ,
was on a TV program to explain this health hazard.

He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating food in the microwave using plastic containers....
This especially applies to foods that contain fat.

He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastic releases dioxin into the food.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same result, but without the dioxin.
So, such things as TV dinners, instant soups, etc., should be removed from their containers and heated in something else.
Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's safer to use tempered glass, such as Pyrex, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the styrene foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons...

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Cling film, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave.
As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.
Cover food with a paper towel instead.
This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life!
Fede

Re: Please read this when you use a microwave or bottled water

Post by Fede »

This to my mind is pointless but dangerous scaremongering.

When you consider the number of people globally, who must use plastic bottles and containers, and establish out how many of those have cancer as a direct cause of use of these items in the way described.... it's all hypothesis. Anna, face it, we could all die of anything... and try to pin the blame on something.

Besides, take-away restaurants have moved to carton containers because they are recyclable, not because of the toxins in the plastic.
It's got nothing to do with that.

Card containers are biodegradable.
The plastic ones aren't.

There are literally thousands and thousands and thousands of take-away restaurants in the UK which use millions of these plastic containers, and there is no industrial plant in the UK that is capable of recycling this particular plastic.
They have to be dumped as land-fill.
That is criminally disgraceful. It's horrendous.

This is the cancer killing the planet.
I think it better to address the manufacturers, rather that trying to effect change by terrifying the consumer pointlessly.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Anna and Fede,

Thanks to both of you.

Snopes Urban Myth website says that this is a Mixture of true and false information:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Fede wrote:I think it better to address the manufacturers, rather that trying to effect change by terrifying the consumer pointlessly.
I agree with this. I also would like to point out that men are not immune from breast cancer (although there are fewer cases, I suspect as male breasts become more and more like female breasts (see moobs) the cases of breast cancer in men will also increase. This is me guessing).

The reason PET and similar plastics are used to contain food is that they are extremely unreactive. I prefer glass, which is even more non-reactive, but I've not seen any significant evidence that using plastic bottles that have been slightly warmed increases the risk of breast cancer.

There are LOADS of reasons to avoid bottled water (environmental, financial, ethical...) --- fear of cancer shouldn't be one of them.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Fede wrote:I think it better to address the manufacturers, rather that trying to effect change by terrifying the consumer pointlessly.
I agree with this. I also would like to point out that men are not immune from breast cancer (although there are fewer cases, I suspect as male breasts become more and more like female breasts (see moobs) the cases of breast cancer in men will also increase. This is me guessing).

The reason PET and similar plastics are used to contain food is that they are extremely unreactive. I prefer glass, which is even more non-reactive, but I've not seen any significant evidence that using plastic bottles that have been slightly warmed increases the risk of breast cancer.

There are LOADS of reasons to avoid bottled water (environmental, financial, ethical...) --- fear of cancer shouldn't be one of them.
Exactly.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Post by Fede »

cooran wrote:Hello Anna and Fede,

Thanks to both of you.

Snopes Urban Myth website says that this is a Mixture of true and false information:
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/plasticbottles.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
And thanks to you, Chris.
They don't call you 'the voice of referenced reason' fer nuthin'.....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Mawkish1983 wrote:There are LOADS of reasons to avoid bottled water (environmental, financial, ethical...) --- fear of cancer shouldn't be one of them ... Yet I sit his hypocritically sipping from a bottle of water
Wow, what a typo. It's supposed to say I sit HERE hypocritically. Sorry if anyone thought I was calling Ben a hypocrite: I wasn't, I was calling myself one!
Last edited by Mawkish1983 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

The less common BPA bottles may indeed pose some risk, but not the common PET bottles from what I know.
_/|\_
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Fede wrote:This to my mind is pointless but dangerous scaremongering.
You doubt the word of Sheryl Crow as transmitted via the Holy Vehicle, St. Ellen Degenerous? Next you'll be saying that Oprah is full of crap too. Repent! Repent!

-M
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Mawk,
Mawkish1983 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:There are LOADS of reasons to avoid bottled water (environmental, financial, ethical...) --- fear of cancer shouldn't be one of them.
Exactly.
Yet I sit his hypocritically sipping from a bottle of water because I think it tastes nicer and is more convenient. Two new topics there: hypocrites and whether or not bottle water tastes any better, but I think both those topics are :offtopic: . Sorry.

Edit: Enjoy :)
A couple of thoughts...
I was recently in Myanmar and - you wouldn't want to drink what came out of the tap - or well. All of the water I drank was bottled water.
Then on return home and living on-site in the country, our water supply is the South Esk River, so I have a 25 litre drum of UV-filtered river-water on my kitchen bench. The drum is plastic, so technically, a plastic bottle.
Am I worried? Well, call me "Doubting Thomas", but unless someone can verify the claim linking plastic water bottles to cancer with literature published in a leading peer-reviewed medical sciences journal, then forget it!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Fede

Post by Fede »

meindzai wrote:
Fede wrote:This to my mind is pointless but dangerous scaremongering.
You doubt the word of Sheryl Crow as transmitted via the Holy Vehicle, St. Ellen Degenerous? Next you'll be saying that Oprah is full of crap too. Repent! Repent!

-M
The Oprah ain't oven until the fat lady singes.... :jumping:
Ben wrote:.....Am I worried? Well, call me "Doubting Thomas", but unless someone can verify the claim linking plastic water bottles to cancer with literature published in a leading peer-reviewed medical sciences journal, then forget it!
Ben I happen to know sitting on a hot radiator gives you piles.
I read it in the Sun newspaper, so it must be true. :toast:

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Has anyone mentioned the Daily Mail cancer list?

(My favourite entries: Working and retirement. Huh?)
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Has anyone mentioned the Daily Mail cancer list?

(My favourite entries: Working and retirement. Huh?)
Fibre is on the list, but not fiber. So it's ok to have it in the United States.

-M
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

This is a fun semi-animated short documentary on why people may want to use less bottled water

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Ben wrote: A couple of thoughts...
I was recently in Myanmar and - you wouldn't want to drink what came out of the tap - or well. All of the water I drank was bottled water.
Then on return home and living on-site in the country, our water supply is the South Esk River, so I have a 25 litre drum of UV-filtered river-water on my kitchen bench. The drum is plastic, so technically, a plastic bottle.
Am I worried? Well, call me "Doubting Thomas", but unless someone can verify the claim linking plastic water bottles to cancer with literature published in a leading peer-reviewed medical sciences journal, then forget it!

Hello, Ben,

I'm not sure if we are all free of misunderstandings here.

Glass bottles are of course Dioxine safe.

So it's a plastic bottle problem, and that can easily be avoided by buying glass bottles.

And the warning is about HEATED UP BOTTLES AND PLASTIC ONLY.

So if your bottled water didn't sit in a hot car for hours, with the content getting hot and the bottle weak and soft, then it's supposedly safe, likewise when you don't use plastic film in a microwave.

Also, if your plastic container is not exposed to great heat, and free of dioxine, I'm sure you needn't worry.

I'm sure you'd rather know for sure if you can improve your situation, and if not, it's surely none
of my business and I'm surely not going to try and convince you or anybody else otherwise.

Then feel free to ignore this.

Like everybody else!

As for me, I don't have a microwave, I don't want one, and I never drank water that has been sitting in the sun.

I'm a little sad about the mockery here, and bow out.

I wish I hadn't posted this, since the echo is so overwhelmingly negative.