Rebirth into Nothingness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Rebirth into Nothingness

Post by Ceisiwr »

Greetings

"Then again, the disciple of the noble ones considers this: 'I am not anyone's anything anywhere; nor is anything of mine in anyone anywhere.' Practicing & frequently abiding in this way, his mind acquires confidence in that dimension. There being full confidence, he either attains the dimension of nothingness now or else is committed to discernment. With the break-up of the body, after death, it's possible that this leading-on consciousness of his will go to the dimension of nothingness. This is declared to be the third practice conducive to the dimension of nothingness

Does one only need to attain the dimension of nothingness once in order for there to be a rebirth there? or does it need to be developed over and over? or does it need to be entered into at moment of death?

:anjali:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ben

Re: Rebirth into Nothingness

Post by Ben »

Craig

Please provide a citation for the above quote.
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sorry

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

MN 106
Aneñja-sappaya Sutta
Conducive to the Imperturbable
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This Sutta has some complex stuff in it. The Nanamoli/Bodhi translation has three pages of extracts from the Commentaries. It deals with formless attainments and what the destination if one dies without becoming an Arahant... There is also some reference to dry insight towards the end...

Metta
Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mikenz66 wrote:MN 106
Aneñja-sappaya Sutta
Conducive to the Imperturbable

This Sutta has some complex stuff in it. The Nanamoli/Bodhi translation has three pages of extracts from the Commentaries. It deals with formless attainments and what the destination if one dies without becoming an Arahant... There is also some reference to dry insight towards the end...

Metta
Mike

Oh no commentaries :o (joking :) ) Do you know where i can find those extracts from the commentaries?

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote:
Oh no commentaries :o (joking :) )
Without a knowledge of Pali and an encyclopaedic knowledge of all of the Suttas, to be able to cross-reference the terms, the only way we're going to make sense of Suttas such as this is to read the commentaries...

It would take me a while to make sense of three pages of Commentary. Perhaps I'll look at it later...

Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

mikenz66 wrote:
clw_uk wrote:
Oh no commentaries :o (joking :) )
Without a knowledge of Pali and an encyclopaedic knowledge of all of the Suttas, to be able to cross-reference the terms, the only way we're going to make sense of Suttas such as this is to read the commentaries...

It would take me a while to make sense of three pages of Commentary. Perhaps I'll look at it later...

Mike

Thanks mike

(p.s. i was only joking with the commentary thing)

Metta
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Craig

When you can afford it, you may wish to invest in a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya translated by Bhikkhu Namamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi. I find the Ven Namamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations more reliable and it includes a wealth of explanatory notes.
(THE BASE OF NOTH|NGNESS)
8. "Again, bhikkhus, a noble disciple considers thus: 'I am not anything belonging to antone anywhere, nor is there anything belonging to me in anyone anywhere (1016)'. When he practices in this way and frequently abides thus, his mind acquires confidence in this base. Once there is full confidence, he either attains to the base of nothingness now or else he resolves [upon it] with wisdom. On the dissolution of the body, after death, it is possible that the evolving consciousness may pass on [to rebirth] in the base of nothingness. This bhikkhus, is declared to be the third way directed to the base of nothingness

MA calls this four-pointed voidness and explains thus: (i) he does not see his self anywhere; (ii) he does not see a self of his own that can be treated as something belonging to another, eg: as a brother, friend, assistant, etc.; (iii) he does not see the self of another; (iv) he does not see the self of another that can be treated as something belonging to him. Ms has a note by Nm: "These expressions [in this paragraph and the next] seem to have been stereotyped slogans or descriptions of the attainments of nothingness and neither-perception-nor-non-perception, primarily non-Buddhist, and sometimes used as a basis for the existing-body [=identity] view." See Nm's note 19 to Vsm XXI, 53 for further discussion and other references.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hi Craig

When you can afford it, you may wish to invest in a copy of the Majjhima Nikaya translated by Bhikkhu Namamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi. I find the Ven Namamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations more reliable and it includes a wealth of explanatory notes.

Im such a fool, i have the copy of it i didnt think to check the notes in the back :cookoo: lol will look into it now

Ben

Post by Ben »

clw_uk wrote:
Hi Craig

Im such a fool, i have the copy of it i didnt think to check the notes in the back :cookoo: lol will look into it now

No problem
But if memory serves me well, the answer to your question as to rebirth into the sphere of nothingness is answered in the Abhidhamma.
Kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Ravana

Post by Ravana »

I can't excatly pin-point as to where I learned it, but I'm pretty sure that you can cross out your first option - it's either the second answer or the third:
clw_uk wrote:Does one A) only need to attain the dimension of nothingness once in order for there to be a rebirth there? B) or does it need to be developed over and over? C) or does it need to be entered into at moment of death?
“The incomparable Wheel of Dhamma has been set in motion by the Blessed One in the deer sanctuary at Isipatana, and no seeker, brahmin, celestial being, demon, god, or any other being in the world can stop it.”