YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

contentment or laziness? - Dhamma Wheel

contentment or laziness?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
josephcmabad

contentment or laziness?

Postby josephcmabad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:02 am

buddhism seems to regard highly about being contented .. and i believe it is one of the greatest aspects buddhism has.. however questions from other people got me thinking, and it seems i need some help from more matured buddhists to answer some of it.. particular questions are:

1. how do we distinguish contentment from doing nothing worthwhile with our lives?
2. how about in the situation of parents wherein their income cannot feed their children, should they just be contented with what they have even if their children are starving?
3. what separates being lazy to being content, apart from the mindset of the individual? it seems that other people can only see one aspect from both.. not doing anything!

really need help answering these questions.. thanks guys ;)

Fede

Re: contentment or laziness?

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:52 am

"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

josephcmabad

Postby josephcmabad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:54 am

thanks for your answers Fede :thanks:

so being content isn't synonymous with doing nothing, it's kind of an internal attitude towards things existent around us?

Fede

Postby Fede » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 am

Absolutely.

Contentment, serenity, Inner peace, is likened to a Lighthouse on a rocky outcrop.
it matters not what's going on outside. The lighthouse is always there, shining, and unmoved.
A safe haven in the maelstrom of the elements.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/

josephcmabad

Postby josephcmabad » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:01 am

ok.. so how about wanting to achieve something.. like seeking a higher social stature? does it necessarily go against contentment in the Buddhist sense? wanting to achieve something of the next level we're in? or should we stay in our present status as far as being content is concerned

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi J,

Contentment is not the basic guiding principle in life, according to the Buddhas teachings- rather it is a mix of wisdom and compassion. That is, where wisdom and compassion needs to be used, we do not base our decisions of contentment. The starving children is a good example.

Ambition is good- what the important question is- what is it good for? Are you going to earn gazillions of dollars just for the sake of the money? What are you sacrificing to reach that? This is where wisdom comes in...and contentment helps to control those cravings.

Do what you need to do/can do, rationally, and looking at world through compassion- let go of the rest ..contentment.

Ultimately we are seeking the highest form of happiness that we can. Contentment plays a big role in that- but it is not all of it.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:53 am

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.

The wisdom is the knowledge that having arisen, all things change and die.

That is what the Blessed One said. Gratified, the group of five monks delighted at his words. And while this explanation was being given, there arose to Ven. Kondañña the dustless, stainless Dhamma eye: Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:11 am

dhammapal

Postby dhammapal » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

josephcmabad

Postby josephcmabad » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 am

thanks a lot for your answer guys...
:namaste:

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”