YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience! - Page 12 - Dhamma Wheel

Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
gadfly

Re: Open invitation: Help us improve your DW experience!

Postby gadfly » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:10 am

I'm an impartial observer to the previous bracket of comments.

I find that when good people are frustrated from their words with each other, it is because they have stated their views but feel obligated to say more.

Sometimes "inaction" is a necessary part of the process for both parties to come back together.

An example: when you are baking a pastry, you must often times freeze the butter and flour. If you work the pastry too long, the ingredients heat up, and cling together before you are ready for them to. You must wait, stop what you are doing and chill the entire thing in the freezer. It might seem like this is inaction, but its just part of the process.

If people find themselves frustrated in their words, then I often times find the right ingredient is silence. There is no strife in silence.

It doesn't mean that either party has "failed" or is "bad." None of us has the complete skills of the Buddha yet :)

If things "heat up" or feelings are hurt, it just means you have already worked through a lot of issues and made a lot of progress. To me that says that there is more good to come from all parties after they cool. I feel that our best intentions come back to us. Use the time to work on yourself, and you have already changed the world. Peace :)

** (Just so you know I"m serious)
Last edited by gadfly on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:40 am

if anyone else is ever subject to a signature attack. It includes for removing a page or site from Google's search results.
Best wishes.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:17 pm

This is relevant to the What's Wrong with Buddha Nature thread and the whole Dhammic free-for-all.

I think it would be worthwhile to have clear guidelines for the Dhammic free-for-all forum which would encourage discussion of the teachings of all Buddhist schools in a constructive respectful atmosphere staying on topic rather than sliding into sectarian polemics and nastiness. Substantiated criticism is of course important and valuable but not ax grinding and outright slander - it is offensive to those of us who cherish these teachings and hold the masters who taught them in highest respect. In the end, the threads descend into wrangling of no relevance to anyone's practice.

I suggest either tighten up the guidelines or scrap that forum altogether.

:anjali:
_/|\_

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Will

Postby Will » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:21 pm

In the beginnings of E-sangha I left the inner circle in a huff. Over what? I cannot even recall. Perhaps the memory loss that comes with age gives one a certain "wisdom" & "equanimity".

In any case, how a board is operated in analogous to how a nation or planet is run - by worldlings, in the main. We humans have a noble potential, yet many failings. So I care less now about others' flaws and focus on my own.

The upshot? Dhamma Wheel is just fine as is.

PS - Except for the technical problem that still occurs - no reminder emails about subscribed posts or topics.
A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Last edited by Dan74 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_/|\_

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:41 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Will

Postby Will » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 am

I agree wholeheartedly - we can't do away with misunderstanding and misrepresentation, we can just attempt to gently correct them.

However, for constructive dialogue some basic rules of conduct are helpful and these may include

1. Respect for the teachings of other traditions which doesn't mean agreement but means that if you disagree then you show the courtesy of attempting to explaining your disagreement in a systematic substantiated manner. If I come to a Mahavihara forum and simply say that commentaries are crap I expect my post to be deleted. Something like this should apply across the board, I think.

2. Staying on topic like everywhere else.

3. Not engaging in ad homs or carpet-bombing the thread.

In other words basic rules to help make dialogue constructive.
_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

pulga

Postby pulga » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:33 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Did someone call ?

Vepacitta

Postby Vepacitta » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm

It's comments and shirty attitudes like that Peter that can make DW a trying experience. Maybe sometimes you might consider shutting your gob.

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Perhaps Vepacitta you might like to explain what you thought my question meant ?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Now, gentlemen, be nice. And do not forget the "report" function.

(And what exactly is a "shirty attitude?" Doesn't sound like something I'd want, at least on most days.)

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 pm

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Return to “Announcements”