Approaching traditional Theravada Commentaries with caution

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: Approaching traditional Theravada Commentaries with caution

Post by Ceisiwr »

How about giving equal bandwidth to cautioning people against taking too seriously the modern teachers who tend to downplay the Commentaries, such as Venerables Buddhadasa, Vimalaramsi, Sumedho, Thanissaro, and Brahm? And especially those pesky western "insight" teachers...

I agree with you caution always needs to be there in reguards to any teaching, i only mentioned it because the commentaries can sometimes be seen by some beginers as very authoritative

Metta
Craig
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well said Mike!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Craig, I think beginners might have got your caution by now... :tongue:
clw_uk wrote: I agree with you caution always needs to be there in reguards to any teaching, i only mentioned it because the commentaries can sometimes be seen by some beginers as very authoritative
Well, of course, the standard Theravada view is that they ARE very authoritative. :thinking:

That's what makes it "Theravada", after all...

As Ven Dhammanando reminded us, the priority is:
1. Sutta: the three baskets of the Tipiṭaka.
2. Suttānuloma: a direct inference from the Tipiṭaka.
3. Atthakathā: a commentary.
4. Attanomati: the personal opinions of later generations of teachers.
So beginners should be particularly strongly cautioned not to put too much weight on the current generation of teachers without checking the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries... :reading:

Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Hi mike

So beginners should be particularly strongly cautioned not to put too much weight on the current generation of teachers without checking the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries...

My view is one only needs to check Vinaya/Suttas/Logic and Experience, the commentaries only as an extra option, the first four are enough

Well, of course, the standard Theravada view is that they ARE very authoritative.

That's what makes it "Theravada", after all...

Well i see it as the Classival view, maybe not modern Theravada

I dont think taking the commentaries as authoritative is what makes Theravada
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote: I dont think taking the commentaries as authoritative is what makes Theravada
What would make it Theravada rather than "Nikaya-based Buddhism" then?

Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

What would make it Theravada rather than "Nikaya-based Buddhism" then?

I would say the major difference would be the teaching of Analysis, other schools had differenct doctrines. Possibly the Abhidhamma as well
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

mikenz66 wrote:
So beginners should be particularly strongly cautioned not to put too much weight on the current generation of teachers without checking the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries... :reading:
Well said.

Also, beginners should be cautioned against putting too much weight on their own perception of the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries and any conclusions that may arise for them - without checking with the current generation of teachers, without having examined them within the context of consistent practice, and without having held them up to the the light of contemporary knowledge.

We listen to the teachers, we practice, we study the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries, etc..., depending on our path, and we hold all three up to the light of current realities - these are 3 necessary checks and balances that help us understanding the teachings, and that bring order and clarity to the experience of mind in the context of this current moment - which in the end is something that we can only do on our own.

As beginners, it is cherishing the mind's spittle and drool that we should be cautioned against first and foremost. :cookoo: :tantrum: :rolleye: :stirthepot: :zzz: :soap: :guns:

Edited for clarity: 03/21/09 20:04 pm
Last edited by pink_trike on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

We listen to the teachers, we practice, we study the Vinaya/Suttas/Abhidhamma/Logic/Commentaries

Not everyone studies the Abhidhamma or Commentaries nor needs to IMO

metta
Craig

:buddha1:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote: Not everyone studies the Abhidhamma or Commentaries nor needs to IMO
And you know this how?

Actually, perhaps you're right. It seems to me that many Westerners would be advised to develop their dana, sila, and faith before reading the Tipitika, and then starting with Paritta (Protective) Suttas ,such as the Ratana, Mahāmaṅgala, Mettā...

But if you're determined to jump to Suttas that might be described as "proto-Abhidhammic" (the suttas on elements, sense bases, dependent origination, etc) the Commentaries and Abhidhamma might be helpful to make sense of them...

Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

And you know this how?

Actually, perhaps you're right. It seems to me that many Westerners would be advised to develop their dana, sila, and faith before reading the Tipitika, and then starting with Paritta (Protective) Suttas ,such as the Ratana, Mahāmaṅgala, Mettā...

But if you're determined to jump to Suttas that might be described as "proto-Abhidhammic" (the suttas on elements, sense bases, dependent origination, etc) the Commentaries and Abhidhamma might be helpful to make sense of them...

Mike
Because if everyone did this then i would do it but i dont, ive also met others who dont

I agree developing dana sila and faith are important before studying the suttas, i didnt jump to suttas if your refering to me

In reguards to those suttas i find them deeply insightful and helpful, for the most part, on their own

:anjali:
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

clw_uk wrote:My view is one only needs to check Vinaya/Suttas/Logic and Experience, the commentaries only as an extra option, the first four are enough
And why should we take your view over the view of the elders?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Who's saying you should?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

clw_uk wrote:My view is one only needs to check Vinaya/Suttas/Logic and Experience, the commentaries only as an extra option, the first four are enough
Peter wrote: And why should we take your view over the view of the elders?
clw_uk wrote:Who's saying you should?
I'm sorely tempted to post links to the Monty Python "Argument" sketch again...

But instead I'll post a follow-up...

If you are not trying to convince anyone of anything, as you last post implies, I really don't understand what you trying to achieve by writing so many posts asserting your opinion that the Abhidhamma (which you implicitly dismissed by omission above) and the Commentaries are not particularly useful. I think everyone knows that by now... And frankly, apart from having a certain amount of compassion towards all beings (despite my H*n*y*n* path), what you read or practise is of no particular interest to me, and I have no fixed views as to the necessity of reading or practising anything in particular.

As I said in another thread, what is useful in these sort of Forums is information.
There is zero information in the statement that you think that X is unnecessary.
My usual replies, along the lines of: "According to standard Theravada..." are almost as boring, but at least they do contain some factual information.

What would actually be interesting would be new information. Some particular commentarial view-point that you think is unclear or incorrect, or has caused you or someone else difficulties, backed up by suitable analysis, references, and/or detailed experience.

Metta
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

His question are legitimate.
What would actually be interesting would be new information. Some particular commentarial view-point that you think is unclear or incorrect, or has caused you or someone else difficulties, backed up by suitable analysis, references, and/or detailed experience.
Give him time.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:His question are legitimate.
Give him time.
OK... :anjali:

Sorry if I as over-reacting... :hug:

Actually, I would have no problem with questions. It was that this whole thread was about an assertion that I was getting a little frustrated about...

:meditate: