how to lose the sense of self?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
imagemarie

Re: how to lose the sense of self?

Post by imagemarie »

PeterB wrote:I like and respect Thanissaro Bhikkhu. His translation of Dukkha as " stress" however seems to me to have very few merits.
As do I. It's off topic... :shrug: But what's wrong with "stress", Peter?

:anjali:
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Hi Peter,
Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:Stress (dukkha)
Alternative translations for dukkha include suffering, burdensomeness, and pain. However -- despite the unfortunate connotations it has picked up from programs in "stress-management" and "stress-reduction" -- the English word stress, in its basic meaning as the reaction to strain on the body or mind, has the advantage of covering much the same range as the Pali word dukkha. It applies both to physical and mental phenomena, ranging from the intense stress of acute anguish or pain to the innate burdensomeness of even the most subtle mental or physical fabrications. It also has the advantage of being universally recognized as something directly experienced in all life, and is at the same time a useful tool for cutting through the spiritual pride that keeps people attached to especially refined or sophisticated forms of suffering: once all suffering, no matter how noble or refined, is recognized as being nothing more than stress, the mind can abandon the pride that keeps it attached to that suffering, and so gain release from it. Still, in some of the verses of the Itivuttaka, stress seems too weak to convey the meaning, so in those verses I have rendered dukkha as pain, suffering, or suffering & stress.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also check out my Yahoo Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dukkha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta / dhammapal.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Because the good Bhikkhu is mistaken. It simply does not have the same range of meanings as does dukkha.
Neither does any other translation.
Better to leave it untranslated and for those interested to internalise it, as has happened with "kamma" , "dhamma", and even "Buddha".
Sometimes we cant drag concepts into european thought forms.
Sometimes WE have to go to THEM.
Parth

Post by Parth »

probably 'misery' could be a better translation for 'dukkha'.
josephcmabad

Post by josephcmabad »

ok thanks guys.. can anyone recommend me some articles, ebooks, mp3 talks for begginers about the study of five aggregates in contrast with the approach to non-self? :thanks:
Ben

Post by Ben »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/khandha.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

josephcmabad wrote:ok thanks guys.. can anyone recommend me some articles, ebooks, mp3 talks for begginers about the study of five aggregates in contrast with the approach to non-self? :thanks:
See the Anuradha Sutta (read aloud)

With metta / dhammapal.