Yes, Pet Shop Boys

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Of no relevance to the Dhamma, but the new Pet Shop Boys album "Yes" has just been released and this link allows you to listen to (yet not download) the entire album.

Yes, Pet Shop Boys - Album Sampler Widget
http://widgets.clearspring.com/cscallba ... UKpV.FarUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the first single, Love Etc., is anything to go by... it promises to be a mighty fine album.

So with this widget, why do I not know whether it's a mighty fine album first-hand?

Well, I'm resisting temptation and waiting until I get a physical copy of it first (old school!)... and I'm still waiting for the online shop to post it to me. Fingers crossed they post it within the next 24 hours.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Post by tiltbillings »

The Pet Shop Boys? I think i'll go into the other room now.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

tiltbillings wrote:I think i'll go into the other room now.
I think I'll join you :)

Incidentally, only about two weeks now until my recording studio is completed and I can start writing music again. It's been a while...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

You two dunces can go sit in the corner...

:rofl:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

You two dunces can go sit in the corner...
In another room, of course. Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

tiltbillings wrote:Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.
At least someone has good taste. As I recall, the Finn brothers come from the same small NZ town as Ven Huifeng of E-Sangha fame...

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Well, I suppose as 80's bands go, the PSB are a cut above Men Without Hats. We all have our guilty pleasure, I suppose, so we should not too hard on poor Paul.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I do like the PSB' let me know what it is like I may not have a chance to get it.
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Of no relevance to the Dhamma, but the new Pet Shop Boys album "Yes" has just been released and this link allows you to listen to (yet not download) the entire album.

Yes, Pet Shop Boys - Album Sampler Widget
http://widgets.clearspring.com/cscallba ... UKpV.FarUQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the first single, Love Etc., is anything to go by... it promises to be a mighty fine album.

So with this widget, why do I not know whether it's a mighty fine album first-hand?

Well, I'm resisting temptation and waiting until I get a physical copy of it first (old school!)... and I'm still waiting for the online shop to post it to me. Fingers crossed they post it within the next 24 hours.

Metta,
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Fede

Post by Fede »

mikenz66 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Me, if I must listen to an 80's band that is still hanging on, let it be Crowded House.
At least someone has good taste. As I recall, the Finn brothers come from the same small NZ town as Ven Huifeng of E-Sangha fame...

Mike
And I love Lighthouse Family too.....

Mind you, pet Shop Boys have done a lot of great stuff writing for other Artists, too.....

I'll tell you how old I am - old....
I actually enjoy watching, and listening to - The Bee Gees and the Osmonds

Though Marie's "Paper Woses" is not one on my 'must play' list.....

And I could listen to Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells (the Original, not the re-mastered) for hours on end.......

Ooooh! I'm gonna start a thread......!!
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
I think I'll hang out with you guys! You might be interested to know, the Finn's band that preceded Crowded House, Split Enz, reformed briefly to play at a Victorian Bushfires Benefit Concert a week or so ago. From all accounts, it was a good concert.

Me, I'm waiting patiently for the new Bob Dylan album Together through life: http://www.bobdylan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi fede
Fede wrote:And I could listen to Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells (the Original, not the re-mastered) for hours on end....
I actually do. But I listen to the 2003 version. Its not just remastered, Oldfield re-recorded it after correcting the musical mistakes that he didn't have the time for when he had access to the studio in somebody's castle for two days as a 19-year-old. I actually think the 2003 is musically far superior to the original.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

retrofuturist wrote:You two dunces can go sit in the corner
As I recall, that's where all the 'cool' people hang out :tongue:
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Ah, me--I guess I'll have to hang out in the antechamber! :lol I'm VERY Olde School. The Metropolitan Opera has all (and I do mean ALL) their Opera videos and audios on line in HD streaming format for $14 a month... I've been hooked up for days. This was like giving the keys to the liquor cabinet to an alcoholic. Now when I go out i public I communicate in song.

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Kare

Post by Kare »

Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mettāya,
Kåre
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hmm, isn't Mayahana post 1960s?
Ben wrote: Me, I'm waiting patiently for the new Bob Dylan album Together through life: http://www.bobdylan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, that was a surprise, given the rate he's been releasing albums for the last decade or so...

Mike