Luang Por Teean's method

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Kare

Luang Por Teean's method

Post by Kare »

Has anyone tried the method that Luang Por Teean describes?

http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/te ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mettāya,
Kåre
PeterB

Re: Luang Por Teean's method

Post by PeterB »

Yes.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Would you like to say something more about it?
Mettāya,
Kåre
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

It didnt end MY dukkha... :smile:
kirk5a

Post by kirk5a »

That's interesting, thanks for the link. I'll take some time to read more about his teachings. Just from the little blurb there, obviously it's not about hand movements per se.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

I was introduced to this method while I was residing at WPN some time ago. I was intrigued with it and sought out teachers of the method in Thailand.

For myself, I can say that the Mahasati method does either stop altogether or at least slow to a crawl discursive thinking. Although I have not continued to follow this method as a primary practice, it has enhanced my understanding of ‘establishing clear knowing’ (sampajānakāri) within Satipaṭṭhāna/Vipassanā practice.

Best wishes,
khanti
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
cooran

Post by cooran »

Kare wrote:Has anyone tried the method that Luang Por Teean describes?

http://www.knowbuddhism.info/2009/02/te ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello Kåre,

I've never tried it. Have you?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzDK7U3n ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.awarenesswithmovement.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at the second link under books and download the pdf of Akaliko..... it is very good.

The main thing with this method is...it is mindfulness in action. You can practice with eyes open or shut, so less chance to fall asleep. You can do it amidst much noise and distractions. It is best to do it during a long retreat ...at least ten days but a month would be better, and just do this technique, not swapping around with other styles. Walking can be fast or the slow Mahasi type. LP Teean did not use the 'noting' technique of Mahasi Sayadaw, but that doesn't mean you cannot, if you are a beginner to practicing mindfulness. Remember he had practiced for several years in various styles, so even a practisioner of the Mahasi style can drop the noting once they are familiar with being mindful.

I tell my students that mindfulness must be practiced continually.....little effort= little progress, no effort = no progress. I compare it to trying to put a satellite into orbit. The rocket need a certain energy and constant thrust to reach high enough to break free of gravity. If you launch a hundred or a million rockets which do not have enough constant thrust, every one will fail. You could do retreats all your life for a hundred lives, but without the effort to keep mindful as constant as possible you will fail to achieve escape velocity and reach the goal...(Stream-entry)....after which the hard part is over and you are on a certain trip to the moon....
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Quite interesting. I'll give it a try for some time...

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

fabianfred wrote:
LP Teean did not use the 'noting' technique of Mahasi Sayadaw, but that doesn't mean you cannot, if you are a beginner to practicing mindfulness.
I recalled reading in some bio on LP Teean that this technique as he first learned it did use noting of movement, but that he dropped that in his own practice. I think this is significant because I have always felt that noting is just a tool which is to be dropped naturally as awareness becomes steady.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves