Mind maps

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fbear
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Mind maps

Postby fbear » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:07 pm

Here are a set of mind maps that I have created during my reading and study.

If you'd like to suggest improvements, how I can develop them and correct any mistakes I've made, feel free to let me know.

If you like them and think they're useful and would like me to create others, again please let me know.

Any suggestions and comments about them would be much appreciated.

I will post them in sets of 3 as that seems to be the maximum number of attachments in one go.

With metta

Pete
Attachments
Noble 3 and 8 Fold Paths.jpg
Combined 3 and 8 Fold Path
Noble 3 and 8 Fold Paths.jpg (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Buddhism 2.jpg
More Detailed Summary
Buddhism 2.jpg (155.05 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Buddhism 1.jpg
Simple Summary
Buddhism 1.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 1129 times

fbear

Mind Maps 2

Postby fbear » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

And the second set of 3
Attachments
Taints-Defilements-Fetters-Tendencies.jpg
Taints-Defilements-Fetters-Tendencies.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg
37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Unconditioned Enlightenment.jpg
Unconditioned Enlightenment.jpg (148.36 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

fbear

Mind maps 3

Postby fbear » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

and the third.
Attachments
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
12 Nidana Chain.jpg
12 Nidana Chain.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
24 Nidanas.jpg
24 Nidanas.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 1128 times

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: Mind maps

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 am

Greetings,

A couple of comments/ideas.

The FWBO wheel... I don't like this because it presents dependent origination (as opposed to the transcendental variant) in a sequence not found in the suttas.

The 12 nidanas... likewise there is nothing in the suttas that says the 12th is a predecessor for the 1st. There is a sutta somewhere that says avijja (not-vijja) is the cause of avijja (not-vijja). To me that makes sense, the cause for the absence of unicorns now, is the absence of unicorns previously.

Nearly every D.O. diagram I've seen is circular and I wonder why this is so, since the Buddha never depicted it as circular and the notion of a "wheel of life" or "wheel of dependent origination" is not found in the Buddha's teaching.

Best wishes.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby daverupa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:55 am

retrofuturist wrote:Nearly every D.O. diagram I've seen is circular and I wonder why this is so, since the Buddha never depicted it as circular and the notion of a "wheel of life" or "wheel of dependent origination" is not found in the Buddha's teaching.

As it seems to be a solely Tibetan artistic expression (e.g. mandalas) I am not surprised it's a wheel, given Tibetan Buddhist predilections. It might be interesting, in another thread, to explore if and where the term "bhavacakka" exists in the Canon, but as I understand paticcasamuppada you're right to point out that the Buddha never "goes 'round the corner", as it were. IIRC, some Chinese versions of the bhavacakka involve only the six realms without the twelve links.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

fbear

Postby fbear » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the advice. In fairness, it isn't an FWBO picture - the wheel with the 12 nidanas arranged in this way was something I 'dreamt' whilst on one of their retreats.... including the 'transcendental arising' spiral in the centre which when 'cut around' in a true Blue Peter fashion means you can raise it up in a spiral above the mundane wheel depicting our rise out of samsara.

And yes- I agree - I haven't read anything as far as I'm aware so far in the Pali Canon that arranges the links in a wheel in the way the Tibetan tradition has them in the Dhammacakka. Although it does make sense to me to have them circling as a dog circles around and around getting nowhere, but I accept it is not a clear reflection of the Buddhas teaching to have it arranged this way.

Thanks again.

Adrien

Postby Adrien » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:00 pm

37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg -> Nice !
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to

Goedert

Postby Goedert » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:30 am

Good work.

Do not forget that this is a mind map.

piotr
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby piotr » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Retrofuturist

retrofuturist wrote:There is a sutta somewhere that says avijja (not-vijja) is the cause of avijja (not-vijja).

I think that you have venerable Ñāṇavīra's conclusions in mind — see A Note on Paṭiccasamuppāda §24
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”