Eat your way to happiness!

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
chownah

Re: Eat your way to happiness!

Post by chownah »

One diet does not fit all....each person will do best by finding out what foods and quantities are best for them.....I guess....maybe not....maybe we should ignore our experience and just mindlessly follow some diet that someone else says we should eat....
chownah
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

100% percent true. Whole wheat bread is a health food for some people, but a trip to the hospital for someone with celiac disease. On the other hand, many things from medical research concerning nutrition and health apply to everyone.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Bodhisurfer

Post by Bodhisurfer »

I'd be very interested to see some 'proof' but I've long been a beleiver that diet plays a very important part in ones physical and mental health. Didnt the Buddha himself have to start eating properly again to regain the strength to pursue Nibbana :buddha1:
Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

No...he just had to start eating again. He had been on a prolonged fast.
What he actually ate was sweet rice...loaded with curds ! And jaggery sugar !
So neither vegan nor health food...And he described the strength coming back to his limbs.
Last edited by PeterB on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fede

Post by Fede »

Bodhisurfer wrote:I'd be very interested to see some 'proof' but I've long been a beleiver that diet plays a very important part in ones physical and mental health. Didnt the Buddha himself have to start eating properly again to regain the strength to pursue Nibbana :buddha1:
As I understand it, the Buddha went to extremes, depriving himself of all and any extraneous 'adornment', including food, which he felt might have been a distraction to him, and diverted him from his path and quest - but he realised that this really, was just as bad as going to excess, and did nothing to either enhance or improve his concentration and determination - so he resumed eating, but gently....
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Jhana4.
Are you sure Weston Price foundation is funded by ranchers? I didn't know that.
References would be great. As far as I know they are a nonprofit.
alan

Post by alan »

On the subject of saturated fat:
It's important to recognize the differences between fats. Mothers milk, for instance, is very high in saturated fat. I doubt anyone would argue against breast feeding.
There is good fat, and there is bad fat. French fries are bad, Coconuts are good. Walnuts and almonds are good. Twinkies and cupcakes are bad. You should eat good fats and avoid bad ones.
ground

Post by ground »

alan wrote:You should eat good fats and avoid bad ones.
Too bad.

But: Why can't all these scientists put it that simple?! :lol:

Kind regards
alan

Post by alan »

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote:On the subject of saturated fat:
It's important to recognize the differences between fats. Mothers milk, for instance, is very high in saturated fat. I doubt anyone would argue against breast feeding.
Good to recognise the difference between people, too. Babies' dietary needs are far different from adults'.
That makes that particular argument very weak, though it doesn't necessarily mean that your broader argument is wrong.
:namaste:
Kim
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

alan wrote:Hi Jhana4.
Are you sure Weston Price foundation is funded by ranchers? I didn't know that.
References would be great. As far as I know they are a nonprofit.
They don't advertise it on their site, but since they are a nonprofit they are required by law to tell people who they are funded by if asked. I wrote them a letter asking them.

The actual Weston Price lived over 70 years ago. He was a researcher, a scientist, a medical doctor or even a nutritionist. He was a dentist who toured the 3rd world, noticed that people had better teeth and simpler diets.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

alan wrote:http://www.coconut-connections.com/weight_problems.htm I take coconut oil every day.
Businesses trying to sell an alternative food product are not reliable sources of health information in regards to those products.
alan

Post by alan »

Perhaps. But I'd say only a fool would ignore this information. http://www.coconutoil.com/litalee.htm
Ben

Post by Ben »

Anyway gentlemen, let's get this thread back on topic!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
alan

Post by alan »

Ok then, back to subject.
The link between diet and mental health has been proven so many times that I have wonder why it is even reported as "news".
I've been actively involved in the skillful integration of diet and exercise for many years. Happy to share with those willing to listen.