Mind maps

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fbear

Mind maps

Post by fbear »

Here are a set of mind maps that I have created during my reading and study.

If you'd like to suggest improvements, how I can develop them and correct any mistakes I've made, feel free to let me know.

If you like them and think they're useful and would like me to create others, again please let me know.

Any suggestions and comments about them would be much appreciated.

I will post them in sets of 3 as that seems to be the maximum number of attachments in one go.

With metta

Pete
Attachments
Combined 3 and 8 Fold Path
Combined 3 and 8 Fold Path
Noble 3 and 8 Fold Paths.jpg (72.33 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
More Detailed Summary
More Detailed Summary
Buddhism 2.jpg (155.05 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Simple Summary
Simple Summary
Buddhism 1.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
fbear

Mind Maps 2

Post by fbear »

And the second set of 3
Attachments
Taints-Defilements-Fetters-Tendencies.jpg
Taints-Defilements-Fetters-Tendencies.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg
37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
Unconditioned Enlightenment.jpg
Unconditioned Enlightenment.jpg (148.36 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
fbear

Mind maps 3

Post by fbear »

and the third.
Attachments
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg
Dependent Origination Wheel.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
12 Nidana Chain.jpg
12 Nidana Chain.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
24 Nidanas.jpg
24 Nidanas.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
retrofuturist

Re: Mind maps

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

A couple of comments/ideas.

The FWBO wheel... I don't like this because it presents dependent origination (as opposed to the transcendental variant) in a sequence not found in the suttas.

The 12 nidanas... likewise there is nothing in the suttas that says the 12th is a predecessor for the 1st. There is a sutta somewhere that says avijja (not-vijja) is the cause of avijja (not-vijja). To me that makes sense, the cause for the absence of unicorns now, is the absence of unicorns previously.

Nearly every D.O. diagram I've seen is circular and I wonder why this is so, since the Buddha never depicted it as circular and the notion of a "wheel of life" or "wheel of dependent origination" is not found in the Buddha's teaching.

Best wishes.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

retrofuturist wrote:Nearly every D.O. diagram I've seen is circular and I wonder why this is so, since the Buddha never depicted it as circular and the notion of a "wheel of life" or "wheel of dependent origination" is not found in the Buddha's teaching.
As it seems to be a solely Tibetan artistic expression (e.g. mandalas) I am not surprised it's a wheel, given Tibetan Buddhist predilections. It might be interesting, in another thread, to explore if and where the term "bhavacakka" exists in the Canon, but as I understand paticcasamuppada you're right to point out that the Buddha never "goes 'round the corner", as it were. IIRC, some Chinese versions of the bhavacakka involve only the six realms without the twelve links.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
fbear

Post by fbear »

Thanks for the advice. In fairness, it isn't an FWBO picture - the wheel with the 12 nidanas arranged in this way was something I 'dreamt' whilst on one of their retreats.... including the 'transcendental arising' spiral in the centre which when 'cut around' in a true Blue Peter fashion means you can raise it up in a spiral above the mundane wheel depicting our rise out of samsara.

And yes- I agree - I haven't read anything as far as I'm aware so far in the Pali Canon that arranges the links in a wheel in the way the Tibetan tradition has them in the Dhammacakka. Although it does make sense to me to have them circling as a dog circles around and around getting nowhere, but I accept it is not a clear reflection of the Buddhas teaching to have it arranged this way.

Thanks again.
Adrien

Post by Adrien »

37 Factors of Enlightenment.jpg -> Nice !
Please don't hesitate to correct my english if you feel to
Goedert

Post by Goedert »

Good work.

Do not forget that this is a mind map.
piotr

Post by piotr »

Hi Retrofuturist
retrofuturist wrote:There is a sutta somewhere that says avijja (not-vijja) is the cause of avijja (not-vijja).
I think that you have venerable Ñāṇavīra's conclusions in mind — see A Note on Paṭiccasamuppāda §24
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...