Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Theravāda in the 21st century - modern applications of ancient wisdom

Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby gavesako » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 pm

It is all over the Thai web, another big scandal. It is Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo who announced it to the reporters (he is the Nepalese Dhammayut monk who is a good scholar and kind of secretary to the old Sangharaja). Apparently they hired the foreign scholars and gave them salary of 15 thousand baht per month to replace e.g. "anicca dukkha anatta" with "anicca dukkha atta". I have come across some variant readings like that before, obviously errors, and if they discovered more in the Northern Thai manuscripts they might use it as a pretext for claiming their weird teachings as being orthodox. The article also mentions their cooperation with Richard Gombrich and the Buddhist studies centre in Oxford (it was not wise of him and the PTS to get involved with Dhammakaya in the first place).

This seems to be a clever way of using 'critical scholarship' to promote their teachings about Nibbana as the real 'self':


มมร.แฉ"วัดพระธรรมกาย"เร่งชำระพระไตรปิฎก แก้ ′อนัตตา′เป็น′อัตตา′ หวั่นทำพระพุทธศาสนาเสียหาย


วันที่ 23 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2554

เมื่อ วันที่ 22 มีนาคม พระอนิลมาน ธมมสากิโย คณบดีคณะสังคมศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยมหามกุฏราชวิทยาลัย (มมร.) กล่าวว่า เมื่อเร็วๆ นี้ มีนักวิชาการทางพระพุทธศาสนาชาวต่างประเทศ ซึ่งเป็นเพื่อนกับอาตมาเล่าให้ฟังว่า ขณะนี้วัดพระธรรมกายกำลังเร่งดำเนินการโครงการชำระพระไตรปิฎก โดยนำนักวิชาการที่เชี่ยวชาญภาษาบาลีจากประเทศต่างๆ อาทิ ศรีลังกา พม่า จำนวน 12 คน มาร่วมโครงการชำระพระไตรปิฎก พร้อมให้ค่าจ้างเป็นเงินเดือนๆ ละประมาณ 15,000 บาท และให้กินอยู่ฟรี


"เบื้องต้นทราบว่า จะแก้ไขเรื่องไตรลักษณ์ “อนิจจัง ทุกขัง อนัตตา” มาเป็น “อนิจจัง ทุกขัง อัตตา” ซึ่งคำว่า "อนัตตา" หมายความว่า ไม่ใช่ตัวตน ความไม่เที่ยงแท้แน่นอน ส่วน “อัตตา” หมายความว่า ตัวตน ความเที่ยงแท้แน่นอน เนื่องจากธรรมกายเน้นวัตถุนิยม ใครทำบุญมากจะได้เห็นพระพุทธเจ้าเร็วขึ้น และได้เห็นสวรรค์มากกว่าคนอื่น ประกอบกับพุทธศาสนิกชนยุคปัจจุบันบางคนนับถือพระพุทธศาสนาเพียงแค่เปลือก คือทำบุญหวังผล ชอบสิ่งสวยงาม เห็นพระบางรูปผิวพรรณเปล่งปลั่งก็เชื่อว่าได้บรรลุธรรม " พระอนิลมานกล่าว และว่า หากวัดพระธรรมกายทำสำเร็จ จะเกิดความเสียหายต่อพระพุทธศาสนาและคณะสงฆ์ไทยอย่างมาก อย่างไรก็ตาม เรื่องนี้ไม่ทราบว่าคณะสงฆ์ไทยจะทราบหรือไม่


ด้านคณบดีคณะ สังคมศาสตร์ มมร. กล่าวต่อว่า นอกจากนี้วัดพระธรรมกายยังมุ่งที่จะพัฒนาการศึกษาของตัวเองด้วย ขณะนี้ทราบว่า มีการจดทะเบียนมหาวิทยาลัยธรรมกายที่อยู่แคลิฟอร์เนีย สหรัฐอเมริกาแล้วด้วย และวัดพระธรรมกายกำลังจะเข้ามาสนับสนุนการจัดตั้งศูนย์พระพุทธศาสน์ศึกษา (โอซีบีเอส) ที่มหาวิทยาลัยอ๊อกซ์ฟอร์ด ประเทศอังกฤษด้วย โครงการนี้ได้รับความเห็นชอบจากรัฐบาล และมหาเถรสมาคม (มส.) ตั้งแต่ปี 2549 เพื่อร่วมเฉลิมพระเกียรติพระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัว เนื่องในโอกาสที่พระองค์ทรงครองสิริราชสมบัติครบ 60 ปี โดยตั้งกองทุนเพื่อตำแหน่งอาจารย์ที่ทำการสอนพระพุทธศาสนาเถรวาท โดยจะใช้ชื่อตำแหน่งว่า “ ตำแหน่งอาจารย์เฉลิมพระเกียรติรัชกาลที่ 9 ของไทย ” ซึ่งเป็นชื่อที่ได้รับพระราชทานมาจากพระบาทสมเด็จพระเจ้าอยู่หัว


พระ อนิลมานกล่าวด้วยว่า นายริชาร์ด กอมบริช นักวิชาการด้านพระพุทธศาสนา เถรวาท มหาวิทยาลัยอ๊อกซ์ฟอร์ด ซึ่งเป็นผู้ที่คอยประสานงาน และดูแลการจัดตั้งศูนย์ดังกล่าว เป็นห่วงว่าการสอนพระพุทธศาสนาเถรวาท ในมหาวิทยาลัยอ๊อกซ์ฟอร์ดจะหมดไป เพราะตัวนายริชาร์ดก็อายุมากแล้ว แต่ทางประเทศไทยกลับยังไม่มีการจัดงบประมาณมาดำเนินการศูนย์นี้เลย นายริชาร์ดจึงขอความช่วยเหลือไปยังลูกศิษย์ที่เคยสอน โดยมีอยู่ 1 คน ทำงานที่วัดพระธรรมกาย บอกว่าวัดพระธรรมกายพร้อมที่จะสนับสนุน โดยทางนายริชาร์ด กำลังพิจารณาอยู่ว่าจะมีการดำเนินการอย่างไรต่อไป

http://matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?n ... &subcatid=




And this is the denial from Dhammakaya website:

ตามที่พระอนิลมาน ธมฺมสากิโย ได้ออกมาให้ข่าวกับสื่อมวลชนว่า วัดพระธรรมกายได้เชิญนักวิชาการที่เชี่ยวชาญภาษาบาลีจากประเทศต่างๆ มาช่วยกันตรวจชำระพระไตรปิฎก โดยจะแก้ไขเรื่องไตรลักษณ์ อนิจจัง ทุกขัง อนัตตา เปลี่ยนเป็น อนิจจัง ทุกขัง อัตตา นั้น วัดพระธรรมกายขอชี้แจงความจริง ดังนี้

ไม่มีใครในโลก สามารถเปลี่ยนคำสอนเรื่องไตรลักษณ์ในพระไตรปิฎกได้ เพราะพระไตรปิฎกฉบับต่างๆ ทั้งฉบับสยามรัฐในประเทศไทย ฉบับพุทธชยันตีในศรีลังกา ฉบับฉัฏฐสังคายนาในพม่า ฉบับสมาคมบาลีปกรณ์ (Pali-Text-Society)-ใน ประเทศอังกฤษ ล้วนมีระบุไว้อย่างชัดเจน ใครไปแก้ไขโดยพลการ ก็จะขัดแย้งกับหลักฐานของพระไตรปิฎกทุกฉบับที่มีอยู่แล้ว ไม่มีทางที่ใครๆจะยอมรับ ผู้ทำก็มีแต่จะเสื่อมเสียไปเอง ไม่เกิดประโยชน์ใดๆ ทั้งสิ้น

โครงการพระไตรปิฎกที่ทางวัดพระธรรมกายกำลังดำเนินการอยู่นั้น มุ่ง รักษาคัมภีร์ใบลานตามสายจารีตต่างๆ ทั้งไทย ล้านนา ศรีลังกา พม่า ขอม ซึ่งนับวันก็จะผุกร่อนบ้าง ถูกปลวกกินบ้าง ไปตามกาลเวลาอย่างน่าเสียดาย โดยถ่ายภาพดิจิตอลทำเป็นฐานข้อมูลในคอมพิวเตอร์ เพื่ออำนวยความสะดวกในการศึกษาค้นคว้าของนักวิชาการพระพุทธศาสนาทั่ว โลก และขอความร่วมมือนักวิชาการทั่วโลกช่วยกันตรวจชำระให้ได้เป็นฐานข้อมูลพระ ไตรปิฎกที่สมบูรณ์ สามารถสืบค้นดูตัวต้นฉบับใบลานของทุกสายจารีตได้อย่างสะดวกรวดเร็ว ผ่านระบบดิจิตอลในคอมพิวเตอร์ งานนี้เป็นงานใหญ่ต้องอาศัยความร่วมมือของนักวิชาการทั่วโลก และต้องใช้เวลานานนับสิบปี แต่ก็จะเป็นประโยชน์อย่างมากในการศึกษาค้นคว้าพระพุทธศาสนา

ขณะนี้ ในสังคมไทยเรามีความขัดแย้งแตกแยกทางการเมืองมากพออยู่แล้ว จึงขอให้ทุกฝ่ายช่วยกัน...อย่าปล่อยให้ความไม่รู้หรือไม่เข้าใจมาก่อให้เกิด ความขัดแย้งแตกแยกในวงการพระพุทธศาสนาเพิ่มขึ้นอีกเลย

พระสนิทวงศ์ วุฑฒิวํโส
ฝ่ายประชาสัมพันธ์
วัดพระธรรมกาย
โทร.083-5404744, 02-831-1702

http://www.dmc.tv/pages/latest_update/2 ... _LEFT.html



Dhammachai Tipitaka Project

Considering unreliable nature of the present editions and also taking into account the recent discoveries of the oldest surviving palm leaf manuscripts from the temples of Northern Thailand and also the scholarly discussions in the field of Pali textual studies, the Dhammachai Institute has undertaken this gigantic task of producing a comprehensive critical edition of the Pali Tipitaka... The aspect of textual criticism that concerns us is comparison and analysis of ancient MSS to discover copyists’ errors and, if possible, to reconstruct the true or original form of the document. The principles of textual criticism also include (2) Internal criteria (pertaining to the logic of readings) such as “the more difficult reading is often preferred”; “that reading is best which best explains the others”; and “the shorter reading is generally preferred.”

http://dhammachaitipitaka.org/pages/



===================


Early Buddhist dhammakāya: Its philosophical and soteriological significance
http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/handle/2123/4130

I came across this text by a Dhammakaya follower a while ago. They seem to get as much academic backing for their teachings as possible. With enough funds, they will also win over a number of scholars I can imagine.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
User avatar
gavesako
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

That is a rather mind-bogglingly impressively arrogantly bold move. One wonders what is the motivation for such an action other than trying to hide the fact that Dhammakaya is really in congruent with the Buddha's teachings. Well, then just change the teachings. We have seen that time and again, but this really takes it to a grand scale.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19582
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Kenshou » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Mind-boggling is right. This is amazingly dumb.

Now, are they just trying to twist nibbana into being some kind of self, or do they literally intend to replace "anatta" with "atta" all throughout? It will be interesting to see how they plan to have the tipitaka make any sense whatsoever if the latter is true. As opposed to just partially nonsensical with the first.
Kenshou
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby gavesako » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 pm

"Nirvana for Sale"

http://books.google.com/books?id=jcalcw ... &q&f=false


"New Buddhist movements in Thailand: towards an understanding of Wat Phra Dhammakaya and Santi Asoke"
http://books.google.com/books?id=K426zG ... &q&f=false
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
User avatar
gavesako
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Kenshou wrote:Mind-boggling is right. This is amazingly dumb.

Now, are they just trying to twist nibbana into being some kind of self.


I'd have thought it's been done before, though possibly not in Theravada.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Thank you Bhante
I can't say that I am surprised re: Dhammakaya rewriting the Tipitaka.
I wonder how and why Richard Gombrich got involved? Seems a bit odd.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16146
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Sylvester » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 am

As to how Prof Gombrich got "involved", I hear from a good source that Dhammakaya funding was all that was keeping the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies alive all those years. Seems like the lesser of 2 evils, since the other major pledgor was the spouse of a right-wing Hindu nationalist who would only part with the grant, if Gombrich were to cast the Buddha as a Hindu... Good Gombrich of course declined.

Anyway, another more juicy bit of tiraccanakatha on Dhammakaya. It seems that in the final 3 months of his life, LP Sodh (the founder of Dhammakaya) recanted his Dhammakaya teachings when he made a breakthrough in his own meditation.
Sylvester
 
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Akuma » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am

gavesako wrote:It is all over the Thai web, another big scandal. It is Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo who announced it to the reporters (he is the Nepalese Dhammayut monk who is a good scholar and kind of secretary to the old Sangharaja). Apparently they hired the foreign scholars and gave them salary of 15 thousand baht per month to replace e.g. "anicca dukkha anatta" with "anicca dukkha atta".


They havent heard of search-replace functions in software yet? :juggling:
But jokes aside thats just unlogical.

I have come across some variant readings like that before, obviously errors, and if they discovered more in the Northern Thai manuscripts they might use it as a pretext for claiming their weird teachings as being orthodox.


That I want to see. They believe in these layered nonmatterial bodies dont they? With Buddhas Dharmakaya being the biggest of them? They'll have a really hard time giving a logically coherent explantion of that or find proof for that in the sutras (or any honored buddhist texts) - imho if ppl wanna follow those ideas its their own fault for not thinking clearly.

If the thesis tried to prove that somehow then I would be interested in being pointed towards where tho as I dont have the motivation atm to read thru 290 pages.
Akuma
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm
Location: NRW, Germany

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Euclid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:03 am

Wow, if it turns out these accusations have substance, that'll remove any doubt about Dhammakaya. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Bhante
Euclid
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:33 am
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby kentsiam » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:58 am

NaMasSaKarn Phra Gavesako

First forgive my english...

The news you've heard about Wat Phra Dhammakaya tries to replace "anatta with "atta" in the Tipitaka is totally false. It seems like someone/some group want to discredit Wat Phra Dhammakaya by using Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo's name. Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo just announced that he didn't give any interview regarding this matter.

In fact, he did mention that, in his private conversation with his students, he admired Wat Phra Dhammakaya for working on this project.

Therefore, I would like to pass this message along so that we can stop this accusation.

Regards,

ข่าว DMC News 26 มีนาคม 2544 :
พระอนิลมาน ปฏิเสธไม่เคยให้สัมภาษณ์สื่อ
สงสัยใครต้องการดิสเครดิตวัดพระธรรมกายโดยการอ้างชื่อตนเอง

กรณีข่าวการให้สัมภาษณ์ของพระอนิลมาน วิจารณ์การสอนและโครงการค้นคว้าพระไตรปิฎกของวัดพระธรรมกายนั้น ต่อมาทางวัดพระธรรมกายได้รับอีเมลชี้แจงจากพระอนิลมาน โดยปฏิเสธว่า ไม่เคยให้สัมภาษณ์สื่อมวลชนแต่ประการใด

พระอนิลมาน ธมฺมสากิโย กล่าวว่า ขณะนี้เดินทางมาบรรยายที่มหาวิทยาลัยในอเมริกา ได้ทราบข่าวจากลูกศิษย์ที่ส่งข่าวมาจากประเทศไทย แล้วไม่สบายใจอย่างมาก และตกใจอย่างมากว่า นักข่าวต้องการทำอะไรขึ้นมาก็ไม่ทราบ อ้างชื่อตนเองว่ากล่าวในเรื่องต่างๆ ทั้ง ๆ ที่ตนเองก็อยู่อเมริกา และไม่ได้ติดต่อกับใครนานแล้ว จำได้ว่าตนเองเคยพูดวิเคราะห์กับกลุ่มลูกศิษย์เป็นการส่วนตัวว่า ชื่นชมกับวัดพระธรรมกายที่ทุ่มเทศึกษาค้นคว้าในโครงการพระไตรปิฎกอย่างจริงจัง โดยมีการจ้างนักวิชาการบาลีจากทั่วโลกมาร่วมทำงานด้วย

ซึ่งเหตุการณ์ดังกล่าวก็ผ่านมานานแล้ว และตนเองก็ยังจำไม่ได้ว่าพูดเมื่อไร เพราะเป็นการพูดคุยกันเป็นการส่วนตัว ไม่ใช่พูดในการแสดงปาฐกถาธรรมใด ๆ ทั้งสิ้น แต่เมื่อเห็นมาปรากฏอยู่ในหนังสือพิมพ์วันสองวันนี้ว่า ตนเองให้สัมภาษณ์เรื่องต่างๆ รวมทั้งการระบุตำแหน่งทางวิชาการที่สื่อมวลชนใช้ก็ผิด ตนเองจึงรู้สึกงงมากกับสิ่งที่เกิดขึ้นอยู่ในตอนนี้ และงงกับการสื่อสารและแปรข่าวสารไปได้อย่างไร ทั้งๆ ที่ตนเองก็ไม่ได้ให้สัมภาษณ์กับใครทั้งสิ้น

โดยในขณะนี้ ตนเองกำลังสอบถามไปทางเมืองไทยอยู่ว่าเกิดอะไรขึ้น และใครต้องการดิสเครดิตวัดพระธรรมกาย โดยมีการอ้างชื่อตนเองไปเกี่ยวข้องอย่างเต็มที่ ในเบื้องต้นนี้ จึงเรียนมาเพื่อโปรดเข้าใจตามนี้ด้วย ไม่เช่นนั้นแล้ว จะก่อให้เกิดความเข้าใจผิดไปกันใหญ่ และขอได้กรุณากราบเรียนหลวงพ่อทัตตชีโว ท่านรองเจ้าอาวาสวัดพระธรรมกาย ในข้อเท็จจริงนี้ให้ทราบด้วยว่า ตนเองกำลังถูกป้ายในสิ่งที่ผิด ทั้งๆ ที่ วันที่หนังสือพิมพ์อ้างถึง ตนเองก็ไม่ได้อยู่เมืองไทย ....ขอถวายความนับถือ ...พระอนิลมาน ธมฺมสากิโย
kentsiam
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 am

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 am

kentsiam wrote:NaMasSaKarn Phra Gavesako

First forgive my english...

The news you've heard about Wat Phra Dhammakaya tries to replace "anatta with "atta" in the Tipitaka is totally false. It seems like someone/some group want to discredit Wat Phra Dhammakaya by using Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo's name. Ven. Anil Dhammasakiyo just announced that he didn't give any interview regarding this matter.

In fact, he did mention that, in his private conversation with his students, he admired Wat Phra Dhammakaya for working on this project.

Therefore, I would like to pass this message along so that we can stop this accusation.

Regards,

ข่าว DMC News 26 มีนาคม 2544 :
พระอนิลมาน ปฏิเสธไม่เคยให้สัมภาษณ์สื่อ
สงสัยใครต้องการดิสเครดิตวัดพระธรรมกายโดยการอ้างชื่อตนเอง

กรณีข่าวการให้สัมภาษณ์ของพระอนิลมาน วิจารณ์การสอนและโครงการค้นคว้าพระไตรปิฎกของวัดพระธรรมกายนั้น ต่อมาทางวัดพระธรรมกายได้รับอีเมลชี้แจงจากพระอนิลมาน โดยปฏิเสธว่า ไม่เคยให้สัมภาษณ์สื่อมวลชนแต่ประการใด

พระอนิลมาน ธมฺมสากิโย กล่าวว่า ขณะนี้เดินทางมาบรรยายที่มหาวิทยาลัยในอเมริกา ได้ทราบข่าวจากลูกศิษย์ที่ส่งข่าวมาจากประเทศไทย แล้วไม่สบายใจอย่างมาก และตกใจอย่างมากว่า นักข่าวต้องการทำอะไรขึ้นมาก็ไม่ทราบ อ้างชื่อตนเองว่ากล่าวในเรื่องต่างๆ ทั้ง ๆ ที่ตนเองก็อยู่อเมริกา และไม่ได้ติดต่อกับใครนานแล้ว จำได้ว่าตนเองเคยพูดวิเคราะห์กับกลุ่มลูกศิษย์เป็นการส่วนตัวว่า ชื่นชมกับวัดพระธรรมกายที่ทุ่มเทศึกษาค้นคว้าในโครงการพระไตรปิฎกอย่างจริงจัง โดยมีการจ้างนักวิชาการบาลีจากทั่วโลกมาร่วมทำงานด้วย

ซึ่งเหตุการณ์ดังกล่าวก็ผ่านมานานแล้ว และตนเองก็ยังจำไม่ได้ว่าพูดเมื่อไร เพราะเป็นการพูดคุยกันเป็นการส่วนตัว ไม่ใช่พูดในการแสดงปาฐกถาธรรมใด ๆ ทั้งสิ้น แต่เมื่อเห็นมาปรากฏอยู่ในหนังสือพิมพ์วันสองวันนี้ว่า ตนเองให้สัมภาษณ์เรื่องต่างๆ รวมทั้งการระบุตำแหน่งทางวิชาการที่สื่อมวลชนใช้ก็ผิด ตนเองจึงรู้สึกงงมากกับสิ่งที่เกิดขึ้นอยู่ในตอนนี้ และงงกับการสื่อสารและแปรข่าวสารไปได้อย่างไร ทั้งๆ ที่ตนเองก็ไม่ได้ให้สัมภาษณ์กับใครทั้งสิ้น

โดยในขณะนี้ ตนเองกำลังสอบถามไปทางเมืองไทยอยู่ว่าเกิดอะไรขึ้น และใครต้องการดิสเครดิตวัดพระธรรมกาย โดยมีการอ้างชื่อตนเองไปเกี่ยวข้องอย่างเต็มที่ ในเบื้องต้นนี้ จึงเรียนมาเพื่อโปรดเข้าใจตามนี้ด้วย ไม่เช่นนั้นแล้ว จะก่อให้เกิดความเข้าใจผิดไปกันใหญ่ และขอได้กรุณากราบเรียนหลวงพ่อทัตตชีโว ท่านรองเจ้าอาวาสวัดพระธรรมกาย ในข้อเท็จจริงนี้ให้ทราบด้วยว่า ตนเองกำลังถูกป้ายในสิ่งที่ผิด ทั้งๆ ที่ วันที่หนังสือพิมพ์อ้างถึง ตนเองก็ไม่ได้อยู่เมืองไทย ....ขอถวายความนับถือ ...พระอนิลมาน ธมฺมสากิโย


The above message is completely meaningless to the vast majority of DW members and does nothing to quell concerns regarding the Dhammakaya movement.

Any further posts, by anyone, containing untranslated Thai, or other language, in support of one side or the other in this (or any other discussion) will be removed from view.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16146
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby kentsiam » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 am

To Ben,

My apology for putting Thai news. I just want to directly answer to the 'Subject' by Phra Ajahn Gavesako. His original subject is also composed of Thai news. That's why I put some Thai news along with my last comment.

Thank you for your kind warning!
Sincerely.
kentsiam
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 am

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 am

Hi kentiam

Thanks for takig the time to respond. My post wasn't directed just to you.
I have no problem with you defending Dhammakaya. The issue is, whether it is you or another Dhamma Wheel member, either writing in another language or reproducing material in another language and not providing a translation. It then excludes most of our members in participating or even getting an appreciation of both sides of the discussion.
kind regards

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16146
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Khemadhammo Bhikkhu » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Ben wrote:Hi kentiam

Thanks for takig the time to respond. My post wasn't directed just to you.
I have no problem with you defending Dhammakaya. The issue is, whether it is you or another Dhamma Wheel member, either writing in another language or reproducing material in another language and not providing a translation. It then excludes most of our members in participating or even getting an appreciation of both sides of the discussion.
kind regards

Ben


In that case, may I suggest a translation of Wat Phra Dhammakāya's response in Thai which Ven. Gavesako pasted in his mail (I use the word 'response', not 'denial'):

With regard to the statement that Anilman Dhammasakiyo has made to mass media that Wat Phra Dhammakāya has invited Pāḷi specialist scholars from several countries to edit the Tipiṭaka, by changing the Three Characteristics, anicca, dukkha and anattā, Wat Phra Dhammakāya wishes to declare the following:

There is nobody in the world who can change the teaching on the Three Characteristics in the Tipiṭaka, because each of the editions of the Tipiṭaka, whether it be the Thai Siam Rat edition, the Sri Lankese Buddhajayanti edition, the Birmese Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyanā Edition, or the edition from the Pali Text Society in the UK, clearly describe this teaching. If anyone were to arbitrarily change anything regarding this matter, it would clearly not agree with the evidence that can already be found in all the existent editions of the Tipiṭaka. Certainly nobody would accept such a thing, and it would only be detrimental to the person making the changes. It would not be beneficial in any way.

The Tipiṭaka project that Wat Phra Dhammakāya is running now, aims to maintain old palm leaf manuscripts that can be found in places of ancient traditions, such as in Thailand, Lanna, Sri Lanka, Birma and Cambodia. Sadly, these manuscripts in many places become rotten, or are infested by termites in the passage of time. Wat Phra Dhammakāya does this work by taking digital scans of these documents and save these in the computer, to make it more convenient for international scholars to study and do research. The wat therefore cooperates with scholars in checking the scans, so that a comprehensive Tipiṭaka database of information can be made. In this database, it will be possible to find information on every (Buddhist) tradition conveniently and fast using digital computer technology. This is a tremendous amount of work, that can only be done in international cooperation with scholars, and will take decades. But it will be of great benefit in studying and doing research on the Tipiṭaka.

At present, Thai society is already full of conflict and dissension. We therefore ask everyone to please not allow ignorance and misunderstandings to cause any further dissension in the Buddhist world.


Also yesterday Wat Phra Dhammkāya gave this piece of important information (translated from the Thai article first pasted in Kentsiam's mail)
Ven. Anilman denies having ever done an interview with any media

Regarding the news of the interview with Ven. Anilman, according to which Ven. Anilman criticizes the teachings and research project of Wat Phra Dhammakāya, Wat Phra Dhammakāya received an e-mail message from Ven. Anilman in which he denies having had any interview with any mass media. Ven Anilman Dhammasākiyo states that he is currently travelling to give a talk at a university in the United States. He received the news from Thailand from his student monks, which was very disturbing and surprising to him. He said he did not understand what news the news reporters have written, refering to him in certain matters, considering that he was still in the United States, and had not contacted anyone for a long while. He remembered he once had a personal conversation with his students, analyzing and praising Wat Phra Dhammakāya that they really devoted themselves to study and research in the Tipiṭaka project, and that they hired Pāli scholars from abroad to help on this project.

This happened a long time ago however, and Ven. Anilman cannot remember when he spoke about this, because it was a personal conversation, not a all a public Dhamma sermon. But then he saw his account in the newspaper in the past days about several issues, in which the mass media incorrectly described his academic position. He felt very shocked with the events happening and the communication and spreading of news, to which he never gave his cooperation.

Currently Ven. Anilman is trying to find information on what happened, and whether there is someone trying to discredit Wat Phra Dhammakāya, and clearly using Ven. Anilman's name and involving him. Ven. Anilman therefore informed Wat Phra Dhammakāya about these matters, to prevent any widespread misunderstanding from arising. He also requested to inform Luang Phor Dattajīvo, the vice-abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakāya, about the fact that he is being used in an attempt at slander. On the date mentioned in the news paper, he was not even in Thailand.


I have already suggested elsewhere on this forum that we, as Buddhists discussing the Dhamma and Vinaya of the Blessed One, should refer to the Dhamma and Vinaya as our principles of judgment, and not take unreliable sources like news articles uncritically. Whether the people writing these articles themselves are practicing Buddhists, we do not even know. Why then would we take their judgment for granted, in judging our fellow Buddhist practitioners, also sons of the Blessed One, and therefore our own brothers and sisters? This is not in accordance with what the Blessed One has taught us.

Living as a bhikkhu in Wat Phra Dhammakāya, I have regular conversations with some of the people involved in this project, and I can personally confirm the statements given above: Wat Phra Dhammakāya has no intention whatsoever to rewrite the Tipiṭaka, or to distort the Buddha's teaching in any way. To do so would be of not benefit to ourselves, nor to Buddhism at large. The main purpose of Wat Phra Dhammakāya is, and has always been, to provide training to bhikkhus and the society at large, and to develop a wat to accomplish such purposes.

I hope that this has provided clarity and understanding.

With metta,

Phra Sander (khemadhammo).
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
http://www.meditationthai.org
User avatar
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: Lede, Belgium

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Ben » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks you Bhante!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Heraclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16146
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby gavesako » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

I have discussed the issue with some scholars working in Thailand and abroad on Tipitaka texts and they also expressed doubts whether those scholars (especially from Sri Lanka) would risk their professional reputation if they intentionally falsified the texts. This is what I wrote:

So it really seems to be some shady power games being played out through the media: Ven. Anil Sakya denies ever having given such an interview to journalists and is wondering why they are now referring to him in this connection. He just remembers talking to some students about the Dhammakaya Tipitaka project some time ago and saying that it is good if they study carefully what is written in the Tipitaka. He is actually now in America and only heard from friends in Thailand that this news appeared in the newspapers.

(We can only speculate what goes on behind the scenes in terms of Thai Sangha politics, but there must be a reason why someone released this information at this point.)

Whatever the case may be, the scholars just review the different manuscripts and create a database, and then their job is finished. After that the Dhammakaya people themselves can decide which readings to adopt (they can claim that they are "more original" due to being based on "oldest surviving manuscripts" from Northern Thailand -- which, it turns out, are full of scribe errors and obvious mistakes) and use them to support their teachings. It may be for example some more obscure passages in the Udana or similar ones that I am thinking of.

If you don't know, there is a parallel project going on in Thailand, namely the World Tipitaka project, which is obviously in competition with the Dhammakaya project. These people are particularly anxious to introduce this edition as the standard Tipitaka edition which has been approved by an international committee of monk-scholars at the 6th council (Sangayana) in Burma in 1956:

http://www.yellowrobe.com/history/buddh ... uncil.html
http://society.worldtipitaka.info/world ... man-script
http://www.facebook.com/worldtipitaka
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
User avatar
gavesako
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby JackV » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:53 pm

I don't wish to keep this matter going, it seems to be quite settled now but I do need to know one thing.
Regardless of whether or not Dhammakaya are actually going to change the word Anatta, what would the translation of atta equate too?
I have heard mention of the fact that they would want to teach Nibanna as the "real self", how could this be accomplised by changing Anatta to atta?

Surely anyone with more than a cursory understanding of the Budhism would know Anatta is one of the central tennets. In schools they teach kids a basic understanding of Buddhism via contrast; that, unlike all other religions, Buddhism denies a permanent unchanging essence or self.

Atta is flour in Hindi (?)
Here where a thousand
captains swore grand conquest
Tall grasses their monument.
JackV
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 am

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Khemadhammo Bhikkhu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 am

I have discussed the issue with some scholars working in Thailand and abroad on Tipitaka texts and they also expressed doubts whether those scholars (especially from Sri Lanka) would risk their professional reputation if they intentionally falsified the texts. This is what I wrote:

So it really seems to be some shady power games being played out through the media: Ven. Anil Sakya denies ever having given such an interview to journalists and is wondering why they are now referring to him in this connection. He just remembers talking to some students about the Dhammakaya Tipitaka project some time ago and saying that it is good if they study carefully what is written in the Tipitaka. He is actually now in America and only heard from friends in Thailand that this news appeared in the newspapers.

(We can only speculate what goes on behind the scenes in terms of Thai Sangha politics, but there must be a reason why someone released this information at this point.)


I am not sure what you mean by a reason, bhante. I do think that there are many people in positions of power in Thailand that don't need that much reason for slander and causing dissension. The Tipiṭaka project has just started, so that provides a good reason. Sadly, as you probably know, many people enjoy reading negative news about monks and wats -- it makes for good sensationalist news. The news on Wat Phra Dhammakāya is just some part of it. There is other negative news about gay monks, monks visiting prostitutes, etc., etc. One wonders whether there is not anything positive about Buddhism to write.

Whatever the case may be, the scholars just review the different manuscripts and create a database, and then their job is finished. After that the Dhammakaya people themselves can decide which readings to adopt (they can claim that they are "more original" due to being based on "oldest surviving manuscripts" from Northern Thailand -- which, it turns out, are full of scribe errors and obvious mistakes) and use them to support their teachings. It may be for example some more obscure passages in the Udana or similar ones that I am thinking of
.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the teaching that Nibbāna is attā. Some people seem to think that the wat has come up with a new teaching, and that is a major goal of the wat to convey this to the world. In fact, whether Nibbāna is attā or anattā is a debate that has been going on for a long time already, and there are scholars and traditions within Theravāda supporting both viewpoints. It is not of Wat Phra Dhammakāya's interest to promote and spread the intellectual study about Nibbāna being attā. Luang Phor Dhammajayo, the wat's abbot, feels that is a question that can only be resolved by meditation practice and attainment, and each practitioner will have to discover these things by himself. There is no need to discuss about it much, for Nibbāna is something that cannot be understood intellectually.

It is quite common for any Buddhist meditation tradition, especially those which become well-known only recently, to try to find any evidence in the Tipiṭaka to support the teaching. For example, Mahasi Sayadaw's approach to vipassanā has been criticized by some scholars. Some scholar-practitioners therefore try to provide more evidence for their approach from the Tipiṭaka. Similarly, some forest tradition monks write about why samatha and vipassanā should be practiced simultaneously, in defense of their tradition.

Similarly, Wat Phra Dhammakāya does want to find out whether there is any evidence in the scriptures that support the meditation technique that is taught in the wat, that is the meditation technique of Luang Pu Sod Candasaro. But at the same time the people in our wat recognize that this maybe possible only to some extent, because the nature of meditation techniques is that they can only be partly be supported by scriptural evidence. The details of the technique are part of oral tradition, that which has been passed down from teacher to student.

The main purpose of the project, as said, is therefore to promote Buddhist scholarship and study, and for this purpose to cooperate with scholars from other countries. It is quite normal for any wat with an interest in pariyatti to want to promote such activities and to look for ways to cooperate with scholars from abroad.

It would be better if we focus our awareness on solving the problems that Buddhism faces in the present day. The number of monks Thailand is stronlgy declining, wats have no more monks and are left behind, monks in the South of Thailand cannot go on alsmround without risking their lives, etc. It would seem better to me if we just concentrate and work together to solve problems, rather than being led by misunderstandings that are spread around by the media.
In the Dhamma,
Phra Sander Khemadhammo.
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
http://www.meditationthai.org
User avatar
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: Lede, Belgium

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby gavesako » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes, I agree that the negative news about monks in Thailand is on the increase all the time and the faith of the lay people is declining. See for example this article that just appeared:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 14,0,0,1,0
Thailand: Bogus monks exploit Buddhism
The Bangkok Post, March 26, 2011
While many saffron-robed foreigners are genuinely interested in studying religion, some are entering Thailand illegally to beg for money from the public


(Actually I know a Thai lady who goes to teach them Thai language for free every week and also the abbot of the temple seems to be very active in promoting true Buddhist values, but by being too outspoken some of the politicians probably dislike him and so the temple becomes target for such a crackdown.)

And as you say, every meditation tradition will try to find evidence for their particular method in the Tipitaka. There is nothing new or strange about that.

Some groups therefore feel that it is better to start not with meditation, but rather with learning the teachings in the Suttas and "straightening out one's views". These kind of teachers are actually becoming more popular these days in Thailand and have a large following of educated urban Thais. So there is some hope for Buddhism...
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
User avatar
gavesako
 
Posts: 1401
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Dhammakaya replaces "anatta" with "atta" in their Tipitaka!

Postby Khemadhammo Bhikkhu » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 am

Yes, I agree that the negative news about monks in Thailand is on the increase all the time and the faith of the lay people is declining. See for example this article that just appeared:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 14,0,0,1,0
Thailand: Bogus monks exploit Buddhism
The Bangkok Post, March 26, 2011
While many saffron-robed foreigners are genuinely interested in studying religion, some are entering Thailand illegally to beg for money from the public


(Actually I know a Thai lady who goes to teach them Thai language for free every week and also the abbot of the temple seems to be very active in promoting true Buddhist values, but by being too outspoken some of the politicians probably dislike him and so the temple becomes target for such a crackdown.)


That's another sad example, bhante. This kind of news is appearing very frequent, and it very much influences public opinion. One of the reasons why the media can do this, I think, is that the Thai Saṅgha is strongly divided within, and therefore cannot actively respond to this kind of news.

And as you say, every meditation tradition will try to find evidence for their particular method in the Tipitaka. There is nothing new or strange about that.

Some groups therefore feel that it is better to start not with meditation, but rather with learning the teachings in the Suttas and "straightening out one's views". These kind of teachers are actually becoming more popular these days in Thailand and have a large following of educated urban Thais. So there is some hope for Buddhism...


Yes, I think that in these things it is important to strike a good balance. It is interesting to observe that in the traditional teaching on the ten bases of meritorious deeds, straightening out one's views can be found together with giving, moral discipline and mental development/meditation. This shows that there many kinds of virtues/goodness in Buddhism, and that the traditional advice certainly is to find a proper balance between them all.
In the Dhamma,
Phra Sander.
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
http://www.meditationthai.org
User avatar
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: Lede, Belgium

Next

Return to Theravāda for the modern world

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest