across the lines - wrong understanding

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
cooran

Re: across the lines - wrong understanding

Post by cooran »

Hello christopher:::, all,

I think the quote from the suttas is:

"some lotuses might be born in the water and grow in the water, but would rise up from the water and stand without being soiled by the water"
(SN 6:560)

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Chris wrote:Hello christopher:::, all,

I think the quote from the suttas is:

"some lotuses might be born in the water and grow in the water, but would rise up from the water and stand without being soiled by the water"
(SN 6:560)

metta
Chris
Thanks Chris! I didn't even realize there was a sutta refering to this. Was just mentioning something I'd observed from repeated Lotus watching...

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Dan74 wrote:
PeterB wrote: However what I got from the Op was that expression tends to be consisitant with insight.
:jawdrop:

That's pretty radical, Peter.

And before I make my vow of silence (a year or so should do it), let me just declare once and for all that Zen is clearly superior to Theravada because ZFI has far more smilies. You simply can't argue with that. :lol: But I will make do with what I have.

Now then :computerproblem: retreat time! :toilet:

_/|\_
Unarguable and pretty definitive I should say... :smile:

Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

mudra wrote:
Drolma wrote:I think one problem (not the problem) is that people's listening skills are often not as developed as their speaking skills. There's this one poster here who shall remain nameless. He and I are of different faiths basically, but the way he discusses details of rebirth is very close to the way my Tibetan master does. Had I not been listening really carefully and paying attention, I might have missed that subtlety. But opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, and sometimes they stink.

It's a little odd to me that some people are encouraged by this discussion. I think it's kind of a sad one.
Agreed about the not listening well thing, and sometimes I am sure I am guilty too.

But curious why you think it is a sad discussion? I don't necessarily agree with some of the opinions but still it is dialogue which I feel is needed. And there are some interesting points being made too.
Hi Mudra :)

I may be a bit naive, but I wasn't aware of some of these perceptions.

/\
nathan

Post by nathan »

It's good to see you on the board Drolma. I like hearing your thoughts. :anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

nathan wrote:It's good to see you on the board Drolma. I like hearing your thoughts. :anjali:
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
nathan wrote:It's good to see you on the board Drolma. I like hearing your thoughts. :anjali:
:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009