Died on Tuesday?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pulga

Died on Tuesday?

Post by pulga »

Has Buddhist tradition set the day of the week that the Buddha attained parinibbána?

Thanks.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
daverupa

Re: Died on Tuesday?

Post by daverupa »

Vesākha - first full moon in May.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Fede

Post by Fede »

Anyone care to pick the bones out of this little gem, then?

"Vesak in 2012 is on Saturday, the 28th of April.

Vesak is celebrated on the first full moon day in May, except in a leap year when the festival is held in June." :jumping:

from here:

http://www.when-is.com/vesak-2012.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

2nd paragraph of the wiki link I posted:

"The exact date of Vesākha varies according to the various lunar calendars used in different traditions. In Theravada countries following the Buddhist calendar, it falls on the full moon Uposatha day (typically the 5th or 6th lunar month). Vesākha Day in China is on the eighth of the fourth month in the Chinese lunar calendar. The date varies from year to year in the Western Gregorian calendar, but falls in April or May."

It's to do with the irregular mapping of lunar months to Gregorian solar months, that's all.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Fede

Post by Fede »

No, I know that. I just think that the phrase was funny and really self-contradictory.
I was just displaying a bit of humour.

(sorry.....) :embarassed: :smile:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I often end up explaining something only to find out the other person was joking. Alas.

:heart: