e-learning course by Ven. Bodhi and Thanissaro in 2011

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Assaji

e-learning course by Ven. Bodhi and Thanissaro in 2011

Post by Assaji »

It's my greatest pleasure to present to you:

Exploring the Word of the Buddha

A Study and Practice Course in the Pali Suttas
with Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi and Ven.Thanissaro Bhikkhu

The Pali suttas are one of our oldest sources for the original teachings of the Buddha, who lived and taught in India in the fifth century B.C.

This course will focus on a systematic study of the suttas, using as a primary textbook Bhikkhu Bodhi’s anthology, In the Buddha’s Words. Ven.Thanissaro Bhikkhu will expound in detail the meditation methods described in the suttas, and their practical application. The course will aim to reveal the scope and depth of the Buddha’s original teachings, which cover a wide variety of topics ranging from family life and marriage to ethics, mind-training, insight, and liberation. The course will be suitable both for relative newcomers to Buddhism as well as for more advanced students who wish to study the Dhamma from the most ancient sources.

Basic text: Bhikkhu Bodhi, editor: In the Buddha’s Words (Wisdom Publications).

Note: For the first class students should read, In the Buddha’s Words Introduction and Chapter one.

Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi is originally from New York City and obtained a PhD in philosophy from Claremont Graduate School in 1972. In late 1972, he traveled to Sri Lanka, where he was ordained as a Buddhist monk. He was the editor for the Buddhist Publication Society in Kandy, Sri Lanka, from 1984 until 2002. He has edited Ven. Nanamoli's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya (Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, 1995), translated the Samyutta Nikaya (Connected Discourses of the Buddha, 2000), and compiled an anthology of suttas from the Pali Canon (In the Buddha's Words, 2005). From 2002 to early 2007 he lived at Bodhi Monastery in Sussex County, New Jersey. He now resides at Chuang Yen Monastery.

Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu, also known as Ajaan Geoff, (born 1949) is an American Buddhist monk of the Dhammayut Order (Dhammayutika Nikaya), Thai forest kammatthana tradition. He is currently the abbot of Metta Forest Monastery in San Diego County. Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu is considered one of the foremost experts in the Pāli language and of the Pāli Canon. He is also the author of many free Dhamma books. In 1995, Ajaan Geoff became the first American born, non-Thai bhikkhu to be given the title, authority, and responsibility of Preceptor (Upajjhaya) in the Dhammayut Order. He also serves as Treasurer of that Order in the United States of America.

There is no charge for the courses. Donations for the Bodhi and Metta Forest monasteries are welcome.

Online registration starts today on this webpage.

Registered participants will be given access to the private section of this forum, dedicated to the interaction of course participants, textual, audio and video materials.
cooran

Re: e-learning course by Ven. Bodhi and Thanissaro in 2011

Post by cooran »

Thank-you Dmytro!

But - is there a link to a website, so that one can enrol?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Dmytro
Yes, a link would be most helpful!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Ostrbor

Post by Ostrbor »

Hi.
I'd like to participate.
M.G.A.

Post by M.G.A. »

Wow!

That's seems interesting indeed! It is very possible that I also would like sign up. Approximately how much time is a pupil expected to spend on this course each week?

With metta,

Mikael :anjali:
The customs and rituals of people with kilesas are numerous beyond description, unlike the ways of Dhamma which are always constant and unalterable.
- Ãcariya Maha Boowa Ñāṇasampanno
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

It was posted on April 1st, with only 1 day of notice before the start of the class and with no URL. Googling on the title and some phrases in the description do not yield a web page. Maybe it is an April Fool's day joke? No disrespect to anyone, I don't know the author of the original post.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi Jhana4,

Yes, it is an April 1st dream.

However I think that such or similar project may well come true, and I hope it will.

Best wishes, Dmytro
M.G.A.

Post by M.G.A. »

You got me there indeed... I should have realized!

Anyhow, if I may humbly quote a sutta:
"Thus, Rahula, you should train yourself, 'I will not tell a deliberate lie even in jest.'
- Ambalatthika-rahulovada Sutta: Instructions to Rahula at Mango Stone" (MN 61), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 14 June 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

With metta,

Mikael
The customs and rituals of people with kilesas are numerous beyond description, unlike the ways of Dhamma which are always constant and unalterable.
- Ãcariya Maha Boowa Ñāṇasampanno
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

FWIW, Wisdom Books does have an audio course you can buy

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=20911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Kaktus

Post by Kaktus »

Jhana4 wrote:FWIW, Wisdom Books does have an audio course you can buy
And probably the same content is available here for free.

One of my first ideas was a april prank, but when i found the site above my hope rised again. Until the sad second post of Dmytro.
English isn´t my native language. So please accept my apologies for my kind of spelling and grammar ;-)
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Venerable Nyanatiloka also made a similar book as to Bhikku Bodhi's "Word Of The Buddha" ( scroll down to "Word Of The Buddha"

http://www.enabling.org/ia/vipassana/freeBooks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason

Post by Jason »

Oh, that was just mean. :tongue:
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
nobody12345

Post by nobody12345 »

Kaktus wrote:
Jhana4 wrote:FWIW, Wisdom Books does have an audio course you can buy
And probably the same content is available here for free.
That is great Dhamma audio course and I highly recommend it to anyone who are interested in genuine Dhamma.
Metta.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

In light of today's date, I'll close this topic.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."