Yes, Pet Shop Boys

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Post by Ben »

Kare wrote:Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was amazing! Thanks Kare!
I love the hammer dulcimer. Those other instruments look and sound incredible, and, WHAT A VOICE!
Cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bach is all well and good, if one likes Abhidhamma music, but I grew up on plainsong of the Gregorian variety, in other words back as close as we can get to original music.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kare

Post by Kare »

tiltbillings wrote:Bach is all well and good, if one likes Abhidhamma music,
Bach Abhidhamma music? He he ... I liked that one! :clap:
but I grew up on plainsong of the Gregorian variety, in other words back as close as we can get to original music.
Gregorian? That one is pre-buddhistic ... it goes back to Rig Veda ... :twisted:

The true Middle Way is late Renaissance and early Baroque music. :anjali:
Mettāya,
Kåre
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Monteverdi was the guy; if it weren't for him, there wouldn't be opera. Orfeo et Euridice still holds its own. Nor should we overlook Palestrina; definitely a Thera.

Bach's Cantatawerks and Masses are terrific vocal experiences too.

J the fop
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Kare

Post by Kare »

Ben wrote:
Kare wrote:Shame on you all! As good Theravadists you should stay with The Teaching of the Elders in music as well as in the Dhamma!

Anything later than Bach is nothing but Mahayana of music, not to mention the Tantrayana of pop and rock!

In order to be converted to the True Theramusic, take a look at this video where L'Arpeggiata performes a simple song by Monteverdi - simple, but refined, with exquisite style and improvisations:

http://www.amazon.de/Teatro-dAmore-Chri ... 975&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was amazing! Thanks Kare!
I love the hammer dulcimer. Those other instruments look and sound incredible, and, WHAT A VOICE!
Cheers

Ben
Yes, there are some really good counter-tenors these days. Although this singer should perhaps rather be classified as a male soprano. I met another male soprano at an early music workshop in Norway some years ago. He had a normal speaking voice, but his singing voice was a clear and beautiful soprano - very apt for 17th century songs. He came from Argentina, and he told me that his voice was not accepted or appreciated there, due to the macho culture of his homeland, so he had lived through lots of hardship. He was almost moved to tears when he told how he had met acceptance and appreciation in Europe. Dukkha turned to sukha!
Mettāya,
Kåre
zavk

Post by zavk »

To nudge this back towards the topic... Was out two weeks ago. Heard PSB's 'Domino Dancing' nestled amongst the jangly tunes of The Smiths and the like. It was great to hear some 80s synthpop, I have to say. Haven't heard that song in ages. Ace! :thumbsup:
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings zavk,

Doubly relevant actually since Johnny Marr from the Smiths lends his guitar and harmonica abilities on the new PSB album too.

When/where were you out when you heard Domino Dancing?

Once on a school excursion in about 1989 or so, we went to hear the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra do a performance directed towards us youngsters, to inspire us to get into classical music. As the finale, they actually did a rendition of Domino Dancing which I thought was brilliant even though of course none of the other 11 or 12 year olds in the audience knew or cared about what the song was. In fact, when I told one of them that the song was a Pet Shop Boys song, he didn't believe me!

True talent there... orchestral scores for silent movies, a musical, songwriting for other artists, resurrecting the career of Dusty Springfield, in the process of providing a score for an upcoming ballet... they've achieved a lot and remained very creative for a band often tagged as an "80s band". It's rare that those in "pop music" could be deemed arists in the true sense of the word, but I think that's definitely the case for the Pet Shop Boys.

Even at the combined average age of over 50, they've just lobbed their new single into the UK charts at #14, 24 years after their first hit... and they're probably about 20 years older than anyone else in those UK charts! 50ish year old men still releasing quality pop music... they must be doing something right.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Fede

Post by Fede »

Yes, us quintogenerians shouldn't be consigned to the scrapheap just yet - we have a lot to offer.... Spandau Ballet are reforming too. The Who and Rolling Stones are still live and kicking, and the likes of Sir Cliff (whatever you might think of his "music") still have pulling power......
And I do believe I mentioned the Bee Gees and the Osmonds......

Good gief, there goes that old baggage "Nostalgia", again - !! :cookoo: :rofl:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Geezer Rock rocks! Now where did I put those darned car keys...
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

Considering what males had to go through back in the day to maintain a clear soprano, his sukkha is indeed fortunate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmEamCkL ... re=related

http://www.amazon.com/Moreschi-Last-Cas ... B000000WYS

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

I love the Pet Shop Boys. Their album Please was the best album of 1986 IMHO. The Pet Shop Boys however left the American charts in the early 90's, except maybe the dance charts. Here is how the Pet Shop Boys faired in the US according to Billboard:

1. West End Girls #1
2. Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money) #10
3. Love Comes Quickly #62
4. Surburbia #70
5. It's A Sin #9
6. What Have I Done to Deserve This? #2
7. Always On My Mind #4
8. Domino Dancing #18
9. Left to My Own Devices #84
10. So Hard #64
11. How Can You Expect to Be Taken Seriously? #93
12. Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You) #72

Their first hit was in 1986, their last top 40 hit was Domino Dancing and that peaked in 1988. Their last top 100 hit was in 1991. Their albums however continue to chart in the US, and they are:

1. Please #7 sold a million copies
2. Disco #95
3. Actually #25 sold 500,000 copies
4. Introspective #34 sold 500,000 copies
5. Behaviour #45
6. Discography - The Complete Singles Collection #111 sold 500,000 copies
7. Very #20 sold 500,000 copies
8. Disco 2 #75
9. Alternative #103
10. Billinguel #39
11. Nightlife #84

They may have more charted albums. My book only goes to 2001. My favorites by far are their first three albums: Please, Actually, Introspective. My favorite Pet Shop Boys song is Always On My Mind. That song kicks arse.
zavk

Post by zavk »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings zavk,

Doubly relevant actually since Johnny Marr from the Smiths lends his guitar and harmonica abilities on the new PSB album too.

When/where were you out when you heard Domino Dancing?
Hi Retro,

It was at an indie shindig that runs fortnightly at the Trades Hall's Bella Union Bar. It's called 'Finishing School' and the DJ is Andy McCLelland. I don't know if you know him but if you don't you may have seen or heard of his comedy shows around town. He also does shows at the Comedy Fest, sometimes with his good friend Lawrence Leung, who incidentally has a show coming out on ABC this week called Lawrence Leung's 'Choose Your Own Adventure' (You're of the same age group as me so I'm guessing you know of those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books).

Anyway, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Andy played Carter USM two weeks ago. It's mostly 'old school' indie tunes there, with some 90s pop like East17, Roxette, etc. It attracts some of those people who used to go to Weekender, which has really 'moved on with the times' to cater for a younger audience these days.

Speaking of Johnny Marr and guitars, I actually know someone who hooked up with Marr when he was here a couple of years ago and has made some guitars for him. (My closest link to celebrity...quite pathetic.... heh.... :toilet: )

Metta,
zavk
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Davcuts ~ You can also see their UK and other chart positions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Shop_Boys_discography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Love Etc. is their 41st UK Top 20 hit. :thumbsup:

zavk - Well if you'd like to meet Fruitbat from Carter, his post-Carter band Abdoujaparov are doing shows in Melbourne this Wednesday and Friday... won't cost much to get in... a tenner at most - http://www.abdou.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Choose Your Own Adventure was OK, but Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's "Fighting Fantasy" series was easily superior. :reading:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
zavk

Post by zavk »

retrofuturist wrote: zavk - Choose Your Own Adventure was OK, but Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's "Fighting Fantasy" series was easily superior. :reading:
Yeah, Choose Your Own Adventure was quite kiddish. It's good for what it is, though. I didn't follow the Fighting Fantasy series. I was more into Lone Wolf and Way of the Tiger. Didn't please my mom that I wasn't reading 'serious literature'. :jedi: :alien: :popcorn:
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

The Lone Wolf books were pretty good... though I think I only had 1 or 2 of them.

Metta,