Yes, Pet Shop Boys

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
nathan

Re: Yes, Pet Shop Boys

Post by nathan »

If Bach is Theravada, fair enough, I suppose my affinity for Mozart is again symptomatic of subtle Mahayana inclinations? Not to mention, Dvorak, Haydn, and Debussy. Wore out several copies of Mike Oldfield's QE2, gave away my Tubular Bells lp. Couldn't wait for the '80's to end, turned off the radio.
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}
Kare

Post by Kare »

A little OT .... but since we are talking about music ....

Once, when I listened to Beethoven's 9th, it struck me that these four movements illustrate the four noble truths.

1st movement: unclear, searching, suffering ... dukkha
2nd movement: strong, energetic, powerful craving
3rd movement: quiet bliss ... nibbana
4th movement: the main ideas in the song are joy and friendship, and did not Buddha once sum up the eightfold path as friendship? So this movement contains the entire path.

So, was Beethoven a buddhist? He probably had not even heard about buddhism. But he had some very good ideas for his music.
Mettāya,
Kåre
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Davcuts ~ You can also see their UK and other chart positions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Shop_Boys_discography" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Love Etc. is their 41st UK Top 20 hit. :thumbsup:
Thanks Retro,

How many charted hits have the Pet Shop Boys had in Australia? I tried to find a book about the Australian music charts, but was unsuccessful. If you know of any please let me know. Studying music charts is a hobby of mine.

David
Fede

Post by Fede »

nathan wrote:If Bach is Theravada, fair enough, I suppose my affinity for Mozart is again symptomatic of subtle Mahayana inclinations? Not to mention, Dvorak, Haydn, and Debussy. Wore out several copies of Mike Oldfield's QE2, gave away my Tubular Bells lp. Couldn't wait for the '80's to end, turned off the radio.

"When the Angels play for God, they play Bach.
When the Angels play for themselves, they play Mozart."

Karl Barth.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Kare wrote:A little OT .... but since we are talking about music ....

Once, when I listened to Beethoven's 9th, it struck me that these four movements illustrate the four noble truths.

1st movement: unclear, searching, suffering ... dukkha
2nd movement: strong, energetic, powerful craving
3rd movement: quiet bliss ... nibbana
4th movement: the main ideas in the song are joy and friendship, and did not Buddha once sum up the eightfold path as friendship? So this movement contains the entire path.

So, was Beethoven a buddhist? He probably had not even heard about buddhism. But he had some very good ideas for his music.
imo, this is a universal pattern that can be found in all aspects of the phenomenal world - and that conscious or intuitive awareness of this pattern is available by many diverse ways and means. The 4 NT seems to purposefully reflect this pattern, which is certainly food for thought.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Davcuts,
davcuts wrote:How many charted hits have the Pet Shop Boys had in Australia?
That link I gave actually has an AUS column and the numbers given look right.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."