Translations of Patthana?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
SamKR

Translations of Patthana?

Post by SamKR »

Is there translation of Patthana in English or Hindi available for free online?
I have got mp3 of chanting of Patthana by Goenkaji but I would also like to read the translations too.
:namaste:
Ben

Re: Translations of Patthana?

Post by Ben »

Hi Sameer,
SamKR wrote:Is there translation of Patthana in English or Hindi available for free online?
I have got mp3 of chanting of Patthana by Goenkaji but I would also like to read the translations too.
If I am not mistaken,what you have is Goenkaji chanting the Tikapatthana (sub-commentary) to the Patthana.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Ben wrote:Hi Sameer,
SamKR wrote:Is there translation of Patthana in English or Hindi available for free online?
If I am not mistaken,what you have is Goenkaji chanting the Tikapatthana (sub-commentary) to the Patthana.
kind regards

Ben
Oh, yes. It is Tikapatthana. Thanks Ben for the correction.
I wonder if its translation is available free online.
maitreyi

Post by maitreyi »

Dear Dhamma Friends,

Here are some links --- has compilation of dhamma threads with valuable insight
which were posted by Htoo Maing few years back on one of the groups. I hope these notes may become
useful to you all. Also thanks to Sanskritdocuments.org - for
graciously hosting these links so, the material can be available to dhamma
aspirants.

Links Below :

http://sanskritdocuments.org/articles/N ... DHAMMA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sanskritdocuments.org/articles/N ... alysis.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sanskritdocuments.org/articles/M ... _table.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta, ~maitreyi
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks maitreyi!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

Thank you maitreyi !

SamKR
Ostrinstro

Post by Ostrinstro »

Dear Dhamma-friends,
Although the discussion took place few years ago, I would like to make some corrections for future readers. Tikapatthana in this case means not a subcommentary, but the first division of all Patthana. Here Tika means "three" and this part of Patthana consists of 22 tikas (triplets) which are given in the Matika (Table of content) of the first book of Abhidhamma titled Dhammasangani. The second part of Patthana is Dukapatthana, which deals with 100 dukas (couplets). The other parts of Patthana are combinations of these tikas and dukas.
All Tikapatthana is translated into English by Sayadaw U Narada and published by PTS. Since 2013 PTS kindly granted its permission for free non-commercial distribution of all its translations of Abhidhamma. You can find pdfs of Tikapatthana in English at http://www.patthana.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as well as many other materials on Patthana.