What is Citta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: What is Citta

Post by mikenz66 »

phil wrote: Yes, I know what you mean. I get blocked here too. So there is practice of a kind of citanupassana, well, there is a lot of looking at my state of mind and saying "mind with lust, mind with aversion", that sort of thing, but I don't feel that is cittanupassana no matter what the modern teachers say.
Modern? :thinking:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .soma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Contemplation of Consciousness

"And how, O bhikkhus, does a bhikkhu live contemplating consciousness in consciousness?

"Here, O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu understands the consciousness with lust, as with lust; the consciousness without lust, as without lust; the consciousness with hate, as with hate; the consciousness without hate, as without hate; the consciousness with ignorance, as with ignorance; the consciousness without ignorance, as without ignorance; the shrunken state of consciousness, as the shrunken state; the distracted state of consciousness, as the distracted state; the state of consciousness become great, as the state become great; the state of consciousness not become great, as the state not become great; the state of consciousness with some other mental state superior to it, as the state with something mentally higher; the state of consciousness with no other mental state superior to it, as the state with nothing mentally higher; the quieted state of consciousness, as the quieted state; the state of consciousness not quieted, as the state not quieted; the freed state of consciousness as freed; and the unfreed state of consciousness, as unfreed.

"Thus he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness internally, or he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness externally, or he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness internally and externally. He lives contemplating origination-things in consciousness, or he lives contemplating dissolution-things in consciousness, or he lives contemplating origination-and-dissolution-things in consciousness. Or his mindfulness is established with the thought: 'Consciousness exists,' to the extent necessary just for knowledge and remembrance, and he lives independent and clings to naught in the world.

"Thus, indeed, O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness."
Mike
phil

Re: What is Citta

Post by phil »

mikenz66 wrote:
phil wrote: Yes, I know what you mean. I get blocked here too. So there is practice of a kind of citanupassana, well, there is a lot of looking at my state of mind and saying "mind with lust, mind with aversion", that sort of thing, but I don't feel that is cittanupassana no matter what the modern teachers say.
Modern? :thinking:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .soma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Contemplation of Consciousness

"And how, O bhikkhus, does a bhikkhu live contemplating consciousness in consciousness?

"Here, O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu understands the consciousness with lust, as with lust; the consciousness without lust, as without lust; the consciousness with hate, as with hate; the consciousness without hate, as without hate; the consciousness with ignorance, as with ignorance; the consciousness without ignorance, as without ignorance; the shrunken state of consciousness, as the shrunken state; the distracted state of consciousness, as the distracted state; the state of consciousness become great, as the state become great; the state of consciousness not become great, as the state not become great; the state of consciousness with some other mental state superior to it, as the state with something mentally higher; the state of consciousness with no other mental state superior to it, as the state with nothing mentally higher; the quieted state of consciousness, as the quieted state; the state of consciousness not quieted, as the state not quieted; the freed state of consciousness as freed; and the unfreed state of consciousness, as unfreed.

"Thus he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness internally, or he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness externally, or he lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness internally and externally. He lives contemplating origination-things in consciousness, or he lives contemplating dissolution-things in consciousness, or he lives contemplating origination-and-dissolution-things in consciousness. Or his mindfulness is established with the thought: 'Consciousness exists,' to the extent necessary just for knowledge and remembrance, and he lives independent and clings to naught in the world.

"Thus, indeed, O bhikkhus, a bhikkhu lives contemplating consciousness in consciousness."
Mike
Yes, of course you're right Mike. Not denying there is citanuppassana, just that in my opinion at least modern teachers over simplify things. I think it is easy to be strongly attracted by the above teaching (especially when read without the commentary) and apply it to one's own level of understanding. The mind is much subtler that we are led (or lead ourselves) to think, that is my feeling. For example, by the Mahasi noting method. Just my opinion, and I don't deny that *any* form of mindfulness of mind states is beneficial and could help develop conditions for deeper understanding. Anyways, never mind. This is just my opinion.

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)