Majjhima Nikaya in Brahmi script

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
Kare

Majjhima Nikaya in Brahmi script

Post by Kare »

Incredible! Now the Majjhima Nikaya has been published in Brahmi!

http://www.amazon.com/Brahmi-Majjhima-N ... 518&sr=1-1

What a strange book. It is probably the only book - in print - written in the ancient Brahmi alphabet. If that is not weird enough, the text of this book is in Pali, the language of the Buddha. No one knows for sure, but everything points to the fact that this alphabet was known at the time of the Buddha. Of course the discourses of spiritual leaders were written down much later, but if someone ever would have taken notes listening to the Buddha - this is probably how it would have looked.

How can a publisher expect to make money on such a publication? It is a totally crazy, totally wonderful idea!

But who is crazy enough to buy it? I, for one. I ordered a copy as soon as I saw it. :reading: :rolleye:
Mettāya,
Kåre
retrofuturist

Re: Majjhima Nikaya in Brahmi script

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kare,

That is indeed quite cool. 8-)

Perhaps it would fall within the realms of "Fair Use" for you to scan a page for us, so we can see what it looks like, when it arrives? I for one would be curious to see a page.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Dear Kare

Thanks for being crazy enough to let us know.
In future, I'll expect MN quotes from you in English, romanized pali and Brahmi-pali!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

There's a preview function at the link, and a few pages in you can see an example.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Indeed you can... thanks guys.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kori

Post by Kori »

Peeking through the book, Brahmi script really looks alien! Being a language nut that may be something fun for me to look into one of these days... I'm already trying to learn Pāḷi :lol: If I had the money, I'd definitely be crazy enough to buy it ^^

Thanks for sharing!

Mettā pāramī,
Leah
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."

Dhammapada, Ch. 1, Verse 2.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Ben wrote:Dear Kare

Thanks for being crazy enough to let us know.
In future, I'll expect MN quotes from you in English, romanized pali and Brahmi-pali!
kind regards

Ben
If you really are crazy enough to ask me for quotes, you can have them in Norwegian. :mrgreen:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Post by Kare »

Kori wrote:Peeking through the book, Brahmi script really looks alien! Being a language nut that may be something fun for me to look into one of these days... I'm already trying to learn Pāḷi :lol: If I had the money, I'd definitely be crazy enough to buy it ^^

Thanks for sharing!

Mettā pāramī,
Leah
Even if you don't learn to read Brahmi, it is at least very useful to understand the basic principles of the script, to understand how vowels were treated in relation to the consonants. All the later Indian and South-East Asian scripts (Devanagari, Thai, Sinhalese, Tibetan etc.) are developed from Brahmi and based on the same basic principles. So if you understand Brahmi, you will understand why the vowels are placed in such a seemingly haphazard way - to the right, to the left, over and below the consonants - in these later scripts.

Wishing you all the best of luck in your Pali studies!
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Kare but Norwegian will just do my head in!
English is all I can manage at the moment! Learning Pali is still an aspiration - perhaps when life settles down and I have more time on my hands.
All the later Indian and South-East Asian scripts (Devanagari, Thai, Sinhalese, Tibetan etc.) are developed from Brahmi
And don't forget Burmese!

kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Kare

Post by Kare »

Ben wrote:Thanks Kare but Norwegian will just do my head in!
Warning! Mind your head!

Jag ikke etter det svunne.
Hig ikke etter det uoppnådde.
Det som er forbi, er forbi.
Og aldri kan du gripe
det som ennå ikke er kommet.
Betrakt heller det som skjer
fra øyeblikk til øyeblikk.

(From the Bhaddekarattasutta, Majjhima Nikaya 131)
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ben

Post by Ben »

:rolleye:
Oh wait, MN131 did you say??

A Single Excellent Night (Bhaddekaratta Sutta)

Let not a person revive the past
Or on the future build his hopes
For the past has been left behind
And the future has not been reached.
Instead with inisight let him see
Each presently arisen state
Let him know that and be sure of it
Invincibly, unshakably.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Kare wrote:...kommet.
That went right over my head.

Metta,
Kare

Post by Kare »

Ben wrote::rolleye:
Oh wait, MN131 did you say??

A Single Excellent Night (Bhaddekaratta Sutta)

Let not a person revive the past
Or on the future build his hopes
For the past has been left behind
And the future has not been reached.
Instead with inisight let him see
Each presently arisen state
Let him know that and be sure of it
Invincibly, unshakably.
Sorry, but you are mixing it up with Silent Night.
Mettāya,
Kåre
Ben

Post by Ben »

Am I? I'm sure I transcribed from Bhikkhu Bodhi's trans. of MN131 (p 1039).
Mind you, someone could have slipped a magic mushroom into my mycoprotein dinner...

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

Kare wrote:How can a publisher expect to make money on such a publication? It is a totally crazy, totally wonderful idea!
I helped this guy on one of the books (the Nibbāna Sermons by Ven. Ñāṇananda). He told me he isn't looking to make any profits on the books, and I think that all of this is coming out of his pocket. The price that you see is Amazon.com's minimum at-cost level for the print-on-demand services (CreateSpace).

:anjali: