free will?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
josephcmabad
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

free will?

Postby josephcmabad » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:51 am

What is the Buddhist take on free will? does it or does not exist? is our life predetermined? :juggling:

mikenz66
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: free will?

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Nibbida
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby Nibbida » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 am

This is an interesting talk on the topic by philosopher/Buddhist, Rick Repetti, Ph.D.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaHtmm46OP0
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:01 pm

josephcmabad wrote:What is the Buddhist take on free will? does it or does not exist? is our life predetermined? :juggling:

Regardless of whether there is or isn't "free" will, the answer that matters is to do the best that you can.
"dust to dust...."

dhammapal

Postby dhammapal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 am

The Buddha transl. Thanissaro wrote:Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of what was done in the past. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of what was done in the past.' When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my first righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.
From: Tittha Sutta: Sectarians translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

daverupa
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby daverupa » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:40 pm

The point of repurposing "kamma" from Hindu meanings to Dhammic ones is to show both that choices can be made, and which choices are wholesome and unwholesome, i.e. germane to the Path.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”